The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM

As far as I know the HD-28's placement of the X is in the same (rear) position as the std D-28, the "old D-18" and the previous D-18P.
The 2012 D-18's X is in the shifted position like on the "old D-18V" and the HD-28V.
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazon View Post
As far as I know the HD-28's placement of the X is in the same (rear) position as the std D-28, the "old D-18" and the previous D-18P.
The 2012 D-18's X is in the shifted position like on the "old D-18V" and the HD-28V.
Correct, the HD-28 braces are scalloped but they are not forward shifted.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM

I really don't get why Martin went from forward shifted scalloped bracing to X. Someone give me a history lesson. And now they seem to be going back to FSS, or putting surcharges on FSS, so basically everyone would choose FSS over X if they had the money.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
I really don't get why Martin went from forward shifted scalloped bracing to X. Someone give me a history lesson. And now they seem to be going back to FSS, or putting surcharges on FSS, so basically everyone would choose FSS over X if they had the money.
They are all X braces. The difference is where they cross under the top and how/if they are shaped.

When Martin first made the Dreadnaughts the bracing was what is now called "Golden Era" scalloped and crossed near the soundhole. But with the admittedly heavier strings of the time they had a lot of warranty problems with neck resets, sunken tops etc. Over the next 10 years or so they made adjustments. Plus WW2 came along. After the war, the bracing settled on the more rear positioned placement and unscalloped to provide better support for the top. Given the success and the mass of great music made on what is now the standard D braced instruments it works well.

But in the 60's Neil Young and others began to be notice the old guitars from the 30's (Now called the Golden Era) sounded much richer, freer and deeper. That led to to the new appreciation of the old style construction and the birth of this new Golden Era of lutherie by such as Collings, Hoover, Goodall, etc starting out mimicking the GE style, and then Martin Co. itself making guitars with the old specs. The old problems were more or less solved.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Last edited by cke; 08-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM

I can only speak to the D-18V and if the new D-18 is mostly the same, I would pick it over a standard D-28.

My D-18V sounds just like what my head thinks a "D" should sound like. After going to a Martin Custom Shop event at GC and having a chance to play a D28-VS, I could see that as a great addition. Powerful like the HD-28V, but to my ears way smoother...just a joy. Completely different than the D-18V as you would expect.

Frankly, in the "Standard" line, I like the D-21 more than the D-28, and perhaps it is a better guitar to compare/contrast with the 2012 D-18.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM

I tried out several Martin's today. The one that spoke to me the mont was a 2012 D-18. Hands down the best to my hears and I love rosewood guitars. I wish I had the money right now. I almost bought a D16 GT. Wonderful sounding guitar at least to my ears.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I think the 2012 D-18 is a bargain. I am a hog guy, and this guitar is more lush than the old style D-18. It is less dry, more complex, and really nice. Now, we each have our own words to describe this stuff, so at the risk of sounding silly it is a more "rosewoody" sounding hog.

Huh did I just say that?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I think the 2012 D-18 is a bargain. I am a hog guy, and this guitar is more lush than the old style D-18. It is less dry, more complex, and really nice. Now, we each have our own words to describe this stuff, so at the risk of sounding silly it is a more "rosewoody" sounding hog.

Huh did I just say that?
I played a 2012 D18 yesterday and completely Agree. It is rather rosewood/Mahogany sounding in that it has sustain and reverberation somewhat like rosewood, but the articulation and projection and note-to-note separation of Mahogany. Very impressed really!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 06-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Default both insanely great guitars, but the current D-18 is stupendous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I played a 2012 D18 yesterday and completely Agree. It is rather rosewood/Mahogany sounding in that it has sustain and reverberation somewhat like rosewood, but the articulation and projection and note-to-note separation of Mahogany. Very impressed really!

Agreed. The current D-18 -- without even upgrading to a Golden Era or whatever, is a hands-down winner. The forward shifted and scalloped braces make it a little bassier and rounder than an old D-18, but it's still more sparkly than a D-28 and if you fingerpick at all it's almost surely better a better choice, even disregarding the fact that it's cheaper.

The new D-18 seems to react to light or light/medium strings better than the D-28, as well. I guess that's because it is more lightly built.

That being said, if you flatpick with medium gauge strings and you like to play hard, the D-28 is probably a better bet.

The D-28s are of course amazing for strumming or crosspicking, but to my mind they just don't have the sonic "quickness" that the D-18s do. Also, while it really doesn't matter much, I really love the D-18's more austere appearance.

They are both stunningly good guitars and I would say that the current production Martins are about as good as they have ever made 'em.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds08 View Post
I tried out several Martin's today. The one that spoke to me the mont was a 2012 D-18. Hands down the best to my hears and I love rosewood guitars. I wish I had the money right now. I almost bought a D16 GT. Wonderful sounding guitar at least to my ears.
Finally got mine in Dec 2013. Awesome guitar is all I can say. Took me a while but I got one. It's was made on my Dad's birthday, found this out when I registered it with Martin. I guess it was meant to be. Oh is sounds so sweet is all I can say. A true American icon that will never part ways with me. I must say I tried out about 5 since I found this one and must say I thought they were all very consistent in fit, finish, and sound. I did play one that really spoke to me but could not swing the money at the time. But again I'm very happy with mine and I do prefer the new D18 to the older ones. It does have a little vintage look and sound. I guess its a poor man's D18 authentic. I have had the pleasure of playing an 18 authentic and that's a whole different animal and hands down one of the best Martins I have ever played. For the $1700 I got mine for its a steal!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion