The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Default The new Taylors are fan braced

I went to Guitar Center today to buy some sheet music and browsed some of the guitars. They had a Taylor 214ce-N. One of the new ones that now use the normal model designations as their steel strings but with the -N after. Everyone I have been reading or talking to were telling me they were X-braced. I checked today and they are Fan Braced. The 214 I tried sounded much better than the old Ns line.

Although I prefer a true and true classical with wide neck and twelve fret to body, I liked how the Taylor played and sounded.
Martin 000-18
Ibanez AC340opn
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM

I thought Taylor had always been using fan bracing... ? Their sound compared to a true Classical is because the guitar is built more heavily, not necessarily because of the bracing.

Nick
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 PM

The older Ns line is fan braced. I kept hearing people say that the new ones that use the steel string model numbers (214ce-N, 314ce-N, 414ce-N...etc) are now X-braced. That was false, all Taylor nylon guitars are fan braced. The only reason I started this thread was because this is the website that I kept seeing the X-brace connection to the newer models.

Anyways just a FYI
Martin 000-18
Ibanez AC340opn
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 AM

Hi Hillster, thanks for the FYI. I just checked the Taylor, MusiciansFriend, and Guitar Center websites and they all state that the bracing for the 214ce-N is "nylon bracing", which sounds like the fan bracing you are describing. At least the websites have it correctly. Many times I've seen online retailers with incorrect specs but not in this case.

I wonder how Taylor is making out with the development of a true classical guitar.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillster View Post
I went to Guitar Center today to buy some sheet music and browsed some of the guitars. They had a Taylor 214ce-N. One of the new ones that now use the normal model designations as their steel strings but with the -N after. Everyone I have been reading or talking to were telling me they were X-braced. I checked today and they are Fan Braced. The 214 I tried sounded much better than the old Ns line.

Although I prefer a true and true classical with wide neck and twelve fret to body, I liked how the Taylor played and sounded.
Yes. indeed. I did the same as you did last Friday. I browsed through all acoustic guitars in GC. I came across a Taylor that you mentioned. It indeed had fan brace. It had easy and fast neck, but it sounded dull and low volume compared to other brand even with Lucero ...Maybe my ear had problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical