The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 AM

I will chime in .. Since I recently bought a 414ce .. It's the latest model Gloss and exp2.

I compared the 314 to the 414 and chose the 414ce based on both "looks and feel" .. The 414ce is an amazing guitar all the way around .. I did not mind spending extra $. It is worth it and down the road the money won't matter much.

I love the way it looks and yes white binding is better in my eye.

As for playability Dread vs GA .. I have both and switch between my Takamine and no probs. I do like the size of the taylor.. More comfortable both sitting and standing.

414ce is a winner!!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM

I was originally not in favor of neck bindings, but have grown to like them. My first Taylor was a 414ce, bought in 2001 and had binding. It "spoke" to me, and is still one of my favorites. Since I have also acquired a 424-LTD in all koa with ivoroid binding. I like the creamy color of that a little better than pure white, especially with the koa, but it is not a big point. In 1990 I ordered a custom shop Martin J-40. All of the custom elements were deletions from the stock model - the neck binding, the fancy block letters on the peghead, etc. In part this was to tone down the bling level, and in part it was to save some money. The only addition from stock was the abalone rosette instead of the three ring type. Abalone became standard the very next model year.

Your guitar has to do three things for YOU: sound good, play well, and only then satisfy your idea of nice appearance. The first two are vital, but the last can be important too. Who would buy a Ferrari painted in bile green?

On the other question, you won't lose anything by playing the GA shape instead of a dreadnought. They are both within 1/4" of each other in width at the lower bout. The GA sits a little lower on the leg, which takes some pressure off the right shoulder, and makes fingerstyle just a bit easier.

Short answer: buy what works for you.

PS: Post #1000 for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM

Buy the binding you like. Period.

The GA will be more balanced amplified and less prone to feedback. I think you will actually find it an upgrade once your ear adjusts. IMO.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM

There's no shortage of superficial people anywhere. I bet an elective plastic surgery forum will have even more. Just get the one you like.

I bought one of the world's worst guitars as soon as I could afford it, a Venture's Mosrite. What a piece of junk! I got it because it was some sort of turn on visually. Fortunately it bit the dust in a house fire.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 AM

To the second question, and as others have already said, if you like white binding and it's worth it to you, then that's the way to go. I don't think there is anything wrong with being in love with the way a guitar looks as long as it produces the sound you want. Maybe I'm superficial, but I have trouble wanting to play a guitar that I don't like the looks of, even if it sounds good.

2003 Gibson J45 (Sissy)
1970 Yamaha FG-140 (Angeles)
1968 Gibson B25 (Mary)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:36 PM

My 2002 Taylor 814 ce was my first high end guitar. I still have it and have never regretted my choice. Dreads have never been comfortable for me. Even the the large bout of the GA body is the same width as a drea, that nipped in waist makes it so much more comfortable. I do strumming, fingerpicking, and fingerstyle, and all sound great on it.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 PM

1) If you like dreads you'll probably like a Taylor GA too. I don't think you'll lose anything or need any adjustment. It will of course sound different in it's own way. The sound is a little more direct. If you want a deep low end look for a used limited in Rosewood or go for the 714. It will have plenty of bass. You loose a little of the boomy echo from the change in depth I think.

2) Just save up and get the one you want, even if it has a bejeweled picture of Bob Tayor's face on the lower bout. You'll save more in the long run when you don't have to upgrade later to the one you really wanted.

Taylors may be non-traditional and a little light on the old school mojo, but they are a fine and comfortable guitar, and with all the different wood combos and sizes you can find a big variety of sounds.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 PM

duplicate!
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
You should check the prices of the forum sponsors, I'm sure you'll get way better pricing. Also, worth considering are previous 400 series LTDs that come in Rosewood and ..... white binding!
Definitely. Check John at Shoreline, I got my GA from him and he gave me a great deal. With regards to your dilemma, that's an easy one: spend the extra money for a "keeper" and don't waste almost the same amount on a "beater". (Not that the 314ce is a beater, its just a figure of speech.)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:43 AM

Default Am I crazy? Two Taylor GA Questions

I am also a fan of the 414 (of course!). I chose the 414 over the 314 and even 514 as I didn't want another mahogany guitar just then and I couldn't afford rosewood. I have never regretted it, it looks and sounds fantastic.

I am not a great fan of neck binding to be honest and it would not be the deal maker or breaker for me but the tone wood is.

As for switching between GA and dread, that's a non-issue for me. Partly because I have lights on all my guitars and partly because it only takes a few minutes to forget the difference - I regularly switch between electric and acoustic and even, occasionally, bass, and I've been playing them all for so long that my muscle memory adjusts to the different sensations with hardly any significant difference.

What's more, the GA style is a great all-rounder, my Taylor is my go-to guitar for most styles and situations.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnet99 View Post
2) Here's the crazier question—the honest reason I'm looking at a 414ce over a 314ce is the binding. That's it! I LOVE white bound fretboards on acoustics, so much so that I'm just about ready to spend a pretty ridiculous amount of extra money for that feature alone. I have no technical reason to chose the 4xx over the 3xx series. But my god, the binding looks so great (and even better in person at the store today) that I just feel like I'll be kicking myself forever if I don't splurge on it now.

Is anyone else this superficial? 3xx's are pretty reasonably priced, at around the $1800 level, but here I am going all the way to $2200 for a totally cosmetic thing. I'm almost asking someone to talk me out of being so irresponsible (or, even better, talk me into it all the way
You might want to consult with a few luthiers to see how much the binding increases the cost of refretting. Or you might not; it's your money.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion