The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Question from a Newb looking for carbon

Okay, I'm getting ready to make the jump. So I'm looking for some guidance on what guitars to consider. Here are my preferences and criteria.

1. My wood guitars are almost all 12 fretters. I like the big fat tone. I don't have to get a 12 fretter, but I am used to them.

2. I like the idea of a truss rod.

3. I prefer medium strings.

4. I prefer one that generally comes with a high-ish saddle and nut, as slide is important to me. If they all come "fingerpickin' low", I prefer one where saddle and nut replacement is relatively standard/normal.

5. I hate barndoor electronics.

6. Preferred shape with wood guitars is either a deep OO, or OOO/OM, but short of a jumbo, anything is okay.

I am aware of the 12 fret CO-WS1005NS. It seems almost perfect, except for the barndoor.

So, based on my criteria, any ideas to help limit my research?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I am aware of the 12 fret CO-WS1005NS. It seems almost perfect, except for the barndoor.
I have one, and I'd say get one and try to get over the barndoor. It really is that good. (Mine has displaced my Morgan Concert Mahogany and my 1974 D28 from go-to status.)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM

I can't help much, but I'm in the same position as you and I'm looking at Emerald. Being in the UK they're an obvious candidate for me.

For you, their reputation seems to suggest they do excellent custom orders, so may be worth a look if you have a strong idea on what you need. I've asked for opinions/experiences on this in my thread on the X7.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-25-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
I can't help much, but I'm in the same position as you and I'm looking at Emerald. Being in the UK they're an obvious candidate for me.

For you, their reputation seems to suggest they do excellent custom orders, so may be worth a look if you have a strong idea on what you need. I've asked for opinions/experiences on this in my thread on the X7.
The world has shrunk. I live in the town where Rainsongs are built, and it's no harder for me to get an Emerald than it is to get a Rainsong. Crazy.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Guest 928

The barndoor can be converted to a sound port. MacNichol did the conversion on my Emerald X10.

It looks like you have a lot of choices. The Rainsong 12 fret parlor guitar is marvelous, the Lucky 13 is a good option with an extra fret thrown in, and Emerald can make just about anything you want. Enjoy the hunt....
Old 05-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Maybe a rainsong Shorty? You can get one with or without the electronics. I'd suggest talking to Ted at LA Guitar.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
the Lucky 13 is a good option with an extra fret thrown in, and Emerald can make just about anything you want. Enjoy the hunt....
I am curious about the lucky 13 and blackbirds in general. How stiff is the neck? Can you run 13s without the relief changing on Blackbirds with longer scale than the Lucky 13?

I haven't really considered them because of the hollow neck. Not that I fear it breaking. I just want flexibily in string gauge. Although I admit, with a short scale small body like the Lucky 13, I'd run lights and bend the wazoo out of them.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
...I am aware of the 12 fret CO-WS1005NS. It seems almost perfect, except for the barndoor.

So, based on my criteria, any ideas to help limit my research?
Sounds like you should order the CO-WS1005NS without electronics. You will save a few hundred dollars, money you can put towards whatever pickup you prefer, if you need electronics that is.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Sounds like you should order the CO-WS1005NS without electronics. You will save a few hundred dollars, money you can put towards whatever pickup you prefer, if you need electronics that is.
Hey Ted @ LA Guitar. Thanks for responding. Since you sell both rainsong and Blackbird, do you have any insight on my question on the Lucky 13 and also the super OM? Do the necks move a bit if you go from 12s to 13s, or are they stiff enough that the relief doesn't change?

The rainsong does seem almost purpose built for me. But I've always dug the 13 fretters, and the Super OM is intriguing from a visual perspective.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Hey Ted @ LA Guitar. Thanks for responding. Since you sell both rainsong and Blackbird, do you have any insight on my question on the Lucky 13 and also the super OM? Do the necks move a bit if you go from 12s to 13s, or are they stiff enough that the relief doesn't change?

The rainsong does seem almost purpose built for me. But I've always dug the 13 fretters, and the Super OM is intriguing from a visual perspective.
The necks will move a bit of course, but not nearly as much as a wood neck, and not enough to worry about IMO. The truss rod on CF guitars can come in handy of course, but it not nearly the necessity that it is on wood guitars.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I am curious about the lucky 13 and blackbirds in general. How stiff is the neck? Can you run 13s without the relief changing on Blackbirds with longer scale than the Lucky 13?

I haven't really considered them because of the hollow neck. Not that I fear it breaking. I just want flexibily in string gauge. Although I admit, with a short scale small body like the Lucky 13, I'd run lights and bend the wazoo out of them.
Don't discount the Blackbird hollow neck. It is rigid and dead on with the relief. I have a Rainsong black ice jumbo and a Lucky 13. Both excellent guitars. I have the truss rod in the Rainsong but not sure it's worth it. Happy not to have it in the L13. Obviously the tradition smaller shape of the L13 is nice. But to me I like the neck profile of the L13 better than the Rainsong.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So order one without the barndoor electronics. Done.

My Rainsong Shorty is also 12-frett, short scale. I also bought it without the barn door. Edit to add, I bought it from Ted, buy with confidence.

Agree with you about having a truss rod. My Rainsong 12-string does not have a truss rod, and has more relief than I like. I keep it tuned down a 1/2 step to compensate.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-27-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
So order one without the barndoor electronics. Done.
It always amazes me how many people don't realize you can order any Rainsong, or Taylor for that matter, without electronics.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM

Blue, you said that you don't like the barn door electronics. I have an older Hawaiian made WS-1000 with the barn door Fishman Blender mic and pickup system (before they switch to LR Baggs). It is the best sounding guitar that I own for stage use, period. I was shocked at the sound quality the first time I heard it through monitors at a festival. I don't have any experience with the LR Baggs pickup.

Or like Ted said, just order one without the electronics. Rainsong is one guitar that I would not hesitate to order. They are remarkably consistent. When I choose mine at the Elderly store in Michigan, there were four identical ones to choose from. The sound and playability were all virtually identical. We ended up choosing based on the neatness of the edges of the carbon fiber weave.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
It always amazes me how many people don't realize you can order any Rainsong, or Taylor for that matter, without electronics.
Part of that for me is that I have spent the last 20 years buying used guitars. You get what there is. Ordering it "my way" hasn't been an option. With Carbon they are infrequent enough that I will probably have to buy new, so electronics free is an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber