The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Guest 33123

Stitched it together! Now to smooth it out and record.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default G Step blues - 2 versions - which instrument?

I'm working out the kinks to my newest tune, G Step Blues. I recorded two versions, the first with my resonator and the second with my Alvarez.

They both have flubs in them, but I wrote the tune so let's call them the "live" versions with "variations" Which instrument do you think best fits the tune?

Resonator:

Alvarez (with silk and steel strings, easy to play but not that bluesy sounding):

I'm still working out the kinks to this one, I want to play it more aggressively and as I wrote the second section after the repeat and tabbed it at the same time I actually have to practice the second part more. Also, I keep messing up the initial pull off of the c to b note in the first few bars of the song. When I first wrote it I had no problem so I just must be tired tonight.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 08-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm working out the kinks to my newest tune, G Step Blues. I recorded two versions, the first with my resonator and the second with my Alvarez.

They both have flubs in them, but I wrote the tune so let's call them the "live" versions with "variations" Which instrument do you think best fits the tune?

Resonator:

Alvarez (with silk and steel strings, easy to play but not that bluesy sounding):

I'm still working out the kinks to this one, I want to play it more aggressively and as I wrote the second section after the repeat and tabbed it at the same time I actually have to practice the second part more. Also, I keep messing up the initial pull off of the c to b note in the first few bars of the song. When I first wrote it I had no problem so I just must be tired tonight.
Very nice work Barry! I prefer the reso. Seems to me this tune needs that midrange reso honk.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Thanks Doug. I think the reso sounds cool too, but the parlor is a bit "faster" to play. I'm undecided yet.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Very nice work Barry! I prefer the reso. Seems to me this tune needs that midrange reso honk.
I'm just the opposite.

I like the crisp, clean sound of the Alvarez. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
I'm just the opposite.

I like the crisp, clean sound of the Alvarez. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Thanks Joe!

Just a note of what I did compositionally, the first section that repeats (also in show and tell as a video with the parlor (displayed below) uses the following - G with d, G7, C7, G with f, then D7, C#7, C7 down to the G with f again. To open the second part I did away with the turnaround you hear in the video at the end (3rd fret full D7 walked down to C7) and played part of the G chord at the 3rd fret and arpeggio'd down to a partial C7, then repeat a variation that resolves into a D7, a little slide thing, then I used C7 at the 5th fret, G at the 7th then partial C at the 5th then a D7 partial then back into the opening again then ending with C7, D7 and the turnaround ending.

Basically I'm playing maybe 5 to 6 "chords" with variations in the entire song with variations in attack.

I have it tabbed in Guitar Pro 6, but my tabbing skills leave a little bit to be desired. I'll spend even more time fixing the Guitar Pro tab until it sounds at least 95% of what I'm doing. Right now parts of the newest section is a touch off.

Here's the original video of the first part of the song which captured the initial inspiration.

Second version:

The third version will have certain parts played a lot cleaner, especially the C7 (5th position) turnaround that resolves down to the opening chord position. I think it really sounds neat, but I didn't nail it in the 2nd recording. When I get it down it will stand out more.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 08-13-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM
Guest 33123

Played it through trying to smooth it out last night. Getting ready to record. May take a while since work is coloring outside of the lines these days.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I finished my Gstep Blues. Here's a video of me playing it and my soundcloud link:

I'm playing on my Alvarez parlor.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I finished my Gstep Blues. Here's a video of me playing it and my soundcloud link:

I'm playing on my Alvarez parlor.

Really nice Barry!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Guest 33123

No real update from me. No time for any guitar at all (working right now). Sigh.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Hi gang,

So I moved from buffalo to north of toronto to St-louis since i joined this challenge. I'm not making excuses cause i don't think I would of learned "Your body is a wonderwall" even if I didn't move. But now i'm finally settled in so I picked up the guitar again for the first time in a while. When I joined this challenge I wanted to learn some fingerpicking song which is gonna work out good since i'm in a apartment so I will have to play softly haha. Tonight I started working on a finger style arrangement of stairway to heaven. I figure I should post day 1 so everyone can hear that debacle. I think posting it will motivate me to practice so I can prove that I can play it better... Now please keep in mind that i've only been playing since december and this is really the first time i dive into anything other than strumming with a pick.

Now the plan I think will be to cut it up into much smaller pieces and practice that till I play it to my satisfaction then rince and repeat with the next part. Once I get two parts then i will practice them both together so the transition between the two is smooth.

so here it is... and yes I know most ppl would wait longer and practice more before posting but i think it will motivate me so only listen if you want to hear a beginners day 1 attempt ... at the first minute and a half

https://soundcloud.com/user-61705832...o-heaven-day-1

P.S. And yes this is partly to punish myself for not holding up my end of the bargain when i first joined this thread unfortunately it will also also punish whoever chooses to listen to it lol but I guess everyone was a beginner at one point
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Really nice Barry!
thanks Doug!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Guest 33123

Finally got to practice yesterday. 4 hours! Felt really good. Struggled with the new tune which I guess is understandable since I hadn't touched a guitar for almost a week. That's a crazy long time away from the guitar for me. I was looking at recording the new tune this week but now I'm not sure. I may have to get the tune back up to speed before I try recording it.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I think we all need something similar to work on, everyone has kind of disappeared, lol. Maybe a short one page tune. I don't know, any ideas?

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-21-2015, 03:56 AM

I'm still here. Working out in this heat has just been draining my energy. I haven't been playing much the last couple weeks and when I do, it's 10-15 minutes of noodling. Then off to bed. I have to know it by 10-10-15 so I'll get back to it soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write