The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Taylor 614ce EQ Suggestions

I play a Taylor 614ce and I’m very happy with the ES. However, I’m looking to craft the sound just a touch with some EQ while keeping the setup as simple as possible. If price wasn’t an issue, I would gladly go with the Taylor K4. However….I liked the specs on the Boss AD-5 and it seems to serve all of the functions I’m looking for (EQ, a setting for magnetic pickups, and some light reverb). Does anyone know if the inputs are balanced considering the ES is balanced? I’ve also looked at the Baggs PADI and at the Presonus EQ3B (a three band parametric EQ). Anyone have experience with any of these units and a Taylor ES or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM

I'm using an Ultrasound DI Plus with my 514ce and my 414ce. The 514ce has a Baggs Element and the 414ce has the ES. The DI Plus works good, has great tone, and is extremely transparent. I've had very good results with it. It has bass and treble control but not mids. Those are rolled off using when you adjust bass and treble. It would be nice to have a separate mid control, but with this gear it's not a big issue.

The DI Plus is about $60 less than the Baggs PADI. The PADI is great as well and many folks here rave about it. Not so many use the DI Plus. I'm not sure why, perhaps since the PADI has more of a history (The DI Plus is relatively new). Another popular one is the DTAR Momma Bear.

There are many that like the Ultrasound amps however. The DI Plus uses the same circuitry as the AG amps with all the same features except no EFX. There is a send and receive for that and I use my Boss CH-1 through it.

I get good results with my DI Plus and have been happy with playing my ES through it. It's not the best out there but it is one of the best in the price range. The K-4 is way out of my price range. I haven't even had the chance to try one yet.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion