The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM

Larry, thanks again for taking the time to respond. I'll try to transcribe your way too. It should be a fun and worthwhile exercise. Knowing the key/root chord right away would help in a jam setting. Knowing the first note alone won't get me there.

It seems the 50s and 60s were a great time for learning by ear, because you had no other choice, and the songs back then weren't as densely processed as today's music. Those times are never coming back.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy125 View Post
It seems the 50s and 60s were a great time for learning by ear, because you had no other choice, and the songs back then weren't as densely processed as today's music. Those times are never coming back.
Quite true. If notation and/or tab had existed back then for the songs I wanted to learn, you can bet I'd have jumped at it. But in doing so, I would have missed out on (a) essential ear training, and (b) the feeling you get of owning the music when you transcribe it yourself.

My ear was terrible, but I HAD to learn those blues and fingerstyle pieces that nobody was interested in publishing. I was lucky in having a tape deck (or rather I commandeered my dad's - he never saw it again), so I didn't have to wear out my vinyl - and I could steal stuff from radio and TV too (on the very rare occasions they actually broadcast anything interesting).

You just can't get that feeling of interconnection with the music when you read tab from books or websites. You NEVER get all the details that way. And you have to listen to the original anyway, to get the feel and rhythmic sutbleties right.

Of course, not all today's music is heavily processed. There's still (eg) solo acoustic stuff around - and recording quality is usually better (if you don't mind digital over analogue). But it does tend to be more difficult than the stuff I learned back then... (I mean, we thought Bert Jansch or Blind Blake was as hard as it gets, but Tommy Emmanuel is, on average, 2 or 3 times as hard as them. "Angie" was the classic challenge for 60s fingerpickers, but it seems easy-peasy beginner stuff now.)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy125 View Post
Larry, thanks again for taking the time to respond. I'll try to transcribe your way too. It should be a fun and worthwhile exercise. Knowing the key/root chord right away would help in a jam setting. Knowing the first note alone won't get me there.

Hi Fuzzy...

You are right. We attend church meetings and a team will play a song I've never heard (often written in house). By the end of the first verse I can have my iPhone out and capture the song to learn later.

If I miss it, I'll approach the worship leader later and have made "Monday" visits to meet them and have them play it for me, and they often graciously supply a lead sheet with lyrics and chords as well.

I tell students to take free lessons all the time. I've frequently approached a musician after a concert to tell them I really loved a particular lick they played on a particular song and ask them to show me. They always say 'yes' and I ask if I can take a picture of them showing it to me (in movie mode on my iPhone) and I've never been turned down...free lessons!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM

are you talking about figuring out chords just to play.. or are you trying to transcribe/ write music on paper? if you are trying to put it on paper remember the goal is to make it easy to read. you want a key where you have as few accidentals as possible.. chord fingerings can have different names especially when you get into 13ts etc . one big mistake is a player will assume the lowest note is always the root it may read better as a inversion. I just got a chart with two notes close together one is a c# the other is a Db ? the chord over the Db is a flat 5th chord...the c# should be written as a Db because he has the key in f a flat key ..the chord over the c# will have to be changed he is calling it a f 7 . c# is not a passing tone there. but changed in name
( well maybe not name only) but only to make it easer to read.. I really think he just assumed the first chord of the number was the key. I will know when I look closer.. which is a common mistake with ear players when they first start transcribing .I will know when I look closer. they also sometimes have the right chord voicing but the wrong name from a logical point of view. if you are doing this just to play it for your self all that does not matter much.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 AM

When you are learning chords from songs, I suggest that you basic theory around harmonizing the key. Not just how major and minor works. Also pentatonic with b3 and b7. When you have somekind of logic in your hand it is easier to connect your ear also.

Instead of going slowly chord by chord the ultimate goal is to hear the whole chord progression. That can be trained but takes time to develop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write