The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM

Default Custom Gig Bag

I have an acoustic guitar with a detachable neck making it good for travel. I am trying to find a gig bag that will accommodate it and the best solution is to have something custom made. I've googled and can't find anyone. Brunner Guitars have one for their guitars but they won't work for mine. Any leads appreciated.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Custom made luggages is a high dollars way. I know.

Finding a regular, but somewhat adequate, piece of luggage you can modify a bit for your purpose is a much cheaper way, and perfectly efficient.
Fortunately, due to the tourism industry, it's easy to peruse thru mountains of luggages of all size, type and quality, in order to find what suits your goal.
Have a good hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsaumarez View Post
I have an acoustic guitar with a detachable neck making it good for travel. I am trying to find a gig bag that will accommodate it and the best solution is to have something custom made. I've googled and can't find anyone. Brunner Guitars have one for their guitars but they won't work for mine. Any leads appreciated.
Try Glenn Cronkhite, the founder of Reunion Blues. I've got a couple of his leather bags (guitar and pedal/accessory) that will celebrate 40 years of service next year. His rudimentary website is here: http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Best of luck
Joe
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Have you ruled out bags from Journey Instruments (http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...stom-backpack/) or Voyage Air (http://www.voyageairguitar.com/guita...s-cases-bags)?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNamara View Post
Try Glenn Cronkhite, the founder of Reunion Blues. I've got a couple of his leather bags (guitar and pedal/accessory) that will celebrate 40 years of service next year. His rudimentary website is here: http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Best of luck
Joe
Thanks for that. I have sent them an email.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
Just what I'm looking for. These would be ideal, but the website says they aren't sold separately. I've contacted them anway. Useful lead, Thanks.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 AM

I've had custom soft cases done by Colorado Case company and liked their work.

http://www.coloradocase.com/
Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 AM

Default custom bags

Find someone with a commercial sewing machine and design your own, letting them do the sewing. In every community, there is probably a woman who has one, as do show repairmen, harness-makers, awning and tent makers. Each Amish community has such a person. Many would be happy to do somethi0ngi else that is not routine. You can get cordura fabric and zippers from Seattle Fabric and other places. I use semi-rigid foam as it is more protective than soft foam. Heck, I'd sell you the fabric, foam and my machine (cheap) if you wanted to do it yourself. Myself, I don't get along with sewing machines and am not doing it any longer. But I have made a number of cases. Because of my spectacular lack of sewing ability, they are not particularly pretty, but they are protective, fit perfectly, and will last forever.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 AM

Blue Heron Cases made a custom octave mandolin case for me. I was impressed with the quality, the price and the turnaround time.

blueheroncases.com
Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've had custom soft cases done by Colorado Case company and liked their work.

http://www.coloradocase.com/
Have emailed these guys. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Find someone with a commercial sewing machine and design your own, letting them do the sewing. In every community, there is probably a woman who has one, as do show repairmen, harness-makers, awning and tent makers. Each Amish community has such a person. Many would be happy to do somethi0ngi else that is not routine. You can get cordura fabric and zippers from Seattle Fabric and other places. I use semi-rigid foam as it is more protective than soft foam. Heck, I'd sell you the fabric, foam and my machine (cheap) if you wanted to do it yourself. Myself, I don't get along with sewing machines and am not doing it any longer. But I have made a number of cases. Because of my spectacular lack of sewing ability, they are not particularly pretty, but they are protective, fit perfectly, and will last forever.
Yep, I do have one of those ladies in town. I was thinking of taking a gig bag to her and asking her to adapt it.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsaumarez View Post
Have emailed these guys. Thanks for the tip.
This looks like a company that could provide what I am looking for. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion