The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Talking It's been too long since a GS Mini thread was started

There are in-depth discussions on these little things only every other day, right? I figured I needed to start another one of these.

I just bought a used GS Mini rosewood, and it was not really in the condition described by the seller. No structural issues, but not what I would call "as advertised". My first thought was to put it back in the box and send it right back, but my curiosity got the best of me... I just HAD TO tune her up and see how she played.

The strings looked like they were the originals put on at the factory, old and dusty and I figured they'd sound dead. Tested it out - yup, strings were toast. So, I put a new set of what I've got laying around (elixir 12s), and WOW. She came to life! Now, don't get me wrong, I know what a top-quality guitar sounds like and this isn't it, but for the price and size of this guitar, just wow.

I had more fun playing that little guitar than I've had in a long time. I just sat back comfortably on the living room couch, played and sang some tunes and my wife even joined in on a couple. I just kept thinking, "Can this little guitar really be this loud? Hey, doesn't sound bad, either!"

Now, don't get me wrong, she could use a little more bass and the tone isn't as complex or beautiful as an 814 or a D-28, but for a $400ish couch and campfire player, I think I did pretty well. I'm finding how she likes to be played - about any style finger picking, light strumming and hard strumming. I can't really explain it, but medium strength strumming just doesn't sound all that great on this thing - brings out the laminated back and sides or something; however, the light strumming makes it shimmer and hard strumming gets bassy and strong.

I suppose I'm a believer in the GS Mini. Needless to say, I won't be sending it back.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Awesome story, so glad you connected with it.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Enjoy the new mini in good health.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:51 PM

Glad you decided it was a good purchase after all. Enjoy!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion