The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Default New Paracho guitar

I bought a Paracho-made classical this week. We have an out-of-town dealer that comes to town once a month or so, bringing a number of hand-made instruments for people to look at. This time he had a used 2007 Francisco Navarro Garcia Concert model with a good price on it. I bonded with it after playing it for a while and it came home with me.

This guitar sure beats my La Patrie Concert by a wide margin. This one feels so alive when I play it. The La Patrie won't go to waste, as I plan on installing a contact microphone in it.

Last edited by jmiked0; 06-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 AM

Nice catch!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Congrats! What's the wood on the guitar?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 AM

I imagine it's cedar and palo escrito, which is Mexican Rosewood, which is one of the finest tonewoods for nylon strung guitars.

Nice guitar. I am a big fan of Paracho built instruments. I personally believe some of the best guitars in the world come from there.

I have a Huipe (another Paracho luthier) Blanca which is a great guitar.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 AM

I have a couple of Navarro flamencos and both are good/very good guitars. Palo escrito would be typical but not absolute for a concert model. Cocobolo and rosewood are also possible. I think at the concert level and above, they are builder guitars, that is Navarro builds them himself. Look for a signed label.

I like the Paracho guitars coming out of the shops of the more known builders. There are hundreds of builders producing lesser quality guitars there but there are a few world class folks. I suspect Navarro is one of them.

Enjoy

hunter
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Yeah, it has a signed label. The woods are cedar and palo escrito. The fingerboard is a very dark rosewood.

The only signs that it is not a new instrument are two faint blemishes in the finish that show that the former owner used a suction-cup mounted leg rest.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM

I have a Granados flamenco made in the Paracho district. I stumbled across it at a local shop and could not believe how light and resonant it was at a terrific price. It's become my 'go to' guitar. Anyone one else experience a Granados?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiked0 View Post
Yeah, it has a signed label. The woods are cedar and palo escrito. The fingerboard is a very dark rosewood.

The only signs that it is not a new instrument are two faint blemishes in the finish that show that the former owner used a suction-cup mounted leg rest.
The fingerboard might be cocobolo or even ebony. My Navarro student model uses cocobolo on the fretboard. It is very dark but it has a little red in it if I look up close. Very nice board. My other Navarro has an ebony fretboard.

The only other thing is lacquer or french polish. I think the concert models are typically lacquer but you might find a French polish here or there. The shine on yours looks like lacquer but I'm not sure. Navarro does a great French polish BTW. I can't really speak with any authority on the sonic character advantages or disadvantages but I can say that french polish is a beautiful but very delicate finish. Almost too delicate for my needs but I've learned to deal with it.

hunter
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 AM

I think I was wrong about the rosewood fingerboard. On close inspection, the grain is pretty fine for rosewood. My revised opinion is that it is ebony with the faint, light streaks.

It does have a lacquer finish. I'm sure I couldn't tell the sonic difference between lacquer and french polish at my age. I'm lucky to be able to hear the guitar at all.

Last edited by jmiked0; 06-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 AM

Congrats on your guitar....

I got my wife a Navarro Concert Classical for Christmas... She loves it, and so do I.. it's a very good guitar for the selling price.... I have a lefty being built for me now... I'll post photos and a review once I get it...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiked0 View Post
I think I was wrong about the rosewood fingerboard. On close inspection, the grain is pretty fine for rosewood. My revised opinion is that it is ebony with the faint, light streaks.
http://www.francisconavarro.com/concertclassical.html

It'll have a Ebony Fretboard. The only FN guitars that cocobolo fretboards are the Student range models.

softballbryan
Did you place with FN directly or with a dealer?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Default New Paracho guitar

I bought it through Ron Hudson at memorial music in Houston tx. Smooth.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Cedar and Palo Escrito... that guitar must smell heavenly... two very fragrant woods.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical