The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Default What's A Song That Got You Through A Hard Time?

Hey Everybody!

The last few months I've been posing questions to listeners of my show, the Jukebox. (A podcast that helps support independent music.) Then, we post up Spotify and YouTube playlists of the question answers. It's a wonderfully fun way to continue to connect people with music and discover new tunes.

I've asked the AGF community as well, because combining the input here with our listener emails really rounds out the playlists well! Plus, it's fun to have a discussion here about the topics.

Last month was 'What is your favorite cover song by a major artist?'

This month - What is a song that got you through a hard time?

I'll kick it off... Mavis Staples' 'You Are Not Alone'

Oh, and here's the page on the Jukebox site if you want to check out previous playlists or the show: http://jukeboxpodcast.com/p/monthly-playlists/

MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Rodney Crowell's "Song For The Life" is a go to piece for me in many ways...

Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Since you asked...

In the late 90's I was dying from internal bleeding and unaware of it. I would hear 'Angel' by Sarah M. (unaware of it's 'meaning') at work and it would stop me in my tracks- and comfort me. Comfort me from feelings that something was very wrong with me.

I just bought my first house this month- and the house came with an angel etched in the glass on the front door.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.

Don't Give Up

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulisdead View Post
Since you asked...

In the late 90's I was dying from internal bleeding and unaware of it. I would hear 'Angel' by Sarah M. (unaware of it's 'meaning') at work and it would stop me in my tracks- and comfort me. Comfort me from feelings that something was very wrong with me.

I just bought my first house this month- and the house came with an angel etched in the glass on the front door.
This really gave me the chills. Congratulations on your new home and I'm so happy you're okay!
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 10-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

"Talking Old Soldiers" by Elton John. Still raw...
Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM

"Her Town" by James Taylor and JD Souder helped me get through a very messy divorce.

"Sail On" by Lionel Richey did the same.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 PM

15 years ago I was still with an old girlfriend that was cheating on me behind my back. I had suspected things weren't right for a while but I was too scared of losing her to do anything about it. One night while she was in the shower I had a look at her phone and saw that one of her friends had sent her a text advising her to dump me for her new bit of stuff on the side.

I left her flat before she got out of the shower and drove out to the country to stay the night at my folks house.

The next day I woke up feeling worried and drove back to the city with the intention of trying to make everything right. As I was driving I put on the radio (didn't want to listen to any of my CDs) and this song came on.

I'd never heard the song before, but the lyrics instantly caught my attention and by the end of the song I had decided to confront and end things for good (needless to say I met my future wife two months later and my ex girlfriend was thereafter sending me texts practically begging to get back together).

15 years later I'm happily married with 3 kids. I sometimes wonder if things might had been different had I not heard that song.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Default What's A Song That Got You Through A Hard Time?

From the 70's.....Alan Parsons Project......."Wouldn't Want to Be Like You"
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM

This one kept me company when I was a kid and lonely for the home I had to move away from.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head............
Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 PM

My best friend's daughter was murdered 5 years ago. She was six years old.

I was a pallbearer that day and I remember hearing this John Hiatt song as we carried the little coffin out of the church. Every one of the pallbearers had tears streaming down our faces.

I wouldn't say it got me through that awful time, but I remember listening to it now and then after and it helped get a lot of tears out.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart and the Faces, 1972
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-06-2015, 06:12 PM

Enya’s version of, How Can I Keep From Singing, got me through a difficult time but not the sort of difficulty one might imagine.

It was around 1991 and the superintendent of Miami-Dade County Public Schools was about to address a state-wide gathering of educators using a state-of-the-art, muti-media presentation I had helped put together as I taught the superintendent’s assistant how to use the equipment and software. I was also the systems engineer on hand to provide any needed technical help on behalf of the computer manufacturer. Less than 40 minutes before the presentation was scheduled to be delivered, the computer crashed, so I was called over to restore the system. I was confident I’d have the system up and running in time but, I had the superintendent’s multi-media person nervously hovering over me, the computer manufacturer’s sales rep behind him in a near panic constantly interrupting me to ask how things were going and a couple of anxious others distracting me. Someone put an Enya CD on the public address system and when How Can I Keep From Singing came on, folks calmed down and left me alone to concentrate on the problem at hand. I had the entire system up and running 5 minutes before showtime.

I had never heard How Can I Keep From Singing before but loved it and bought the CD shortly after that day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic