The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
We'd like to think that an IRS employee wouldn't be so petty but - it happened. Dad dealt with bureaucracies for his entire working life and knows threats don't work. The suspected reason cannot be stated here. The SWAT folks were polite and respectful though that might not have been the case had my parents asserted their rights. It's also fortunate that my Dad does not reload ammunition like I do so he had no bomb-making supplies.
The SWAT team said that they'd been going out on a lot of bogus ops so even they were getting tired of the nonsense.
That's crazy. You'd think a phone call from the local police beforehand would have decreased the potential danger to everyone involved.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
What you are experiencing are side effects of what is called 'Progress',

H
I would argue that the OP is actually experiencing the side effects of CONgress.....the opposite of PROgress.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM

"I think it applies to state employees in Massachusetts."

I'd move.

(But keep your car registered there.....)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:22 PM

We now live in an "I got this" era...
kinda glad I'm getting older... Hey, where's my participation trophy?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
There is a major difference in beef processing between the USA and Europe .
In Europe , the goal is to get the beef to the plate as soon as is possible after butchering .
In the USA , we typically age beef for 3 weeks before cutting .
Where on earh did your hear that? I can't imagine where you got that impression.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Where on earh did your hear that? I can't imagine where you got that impression.
Perhaps from the same place harmonics101 got his government pay and retirement information.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Wow seven pages of whining and moaning - perhaps we should have a "Curmudgeon" section ?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

To reflect on the original question "Is Everybody Incompetent", I would say we all are at one time or another, by virtue of the fact that we are all human. It is most unfortunate when somebody messes up and it affects us personally (such as a guitar getting broken during shipping, an appliance install, etc.).

I can say that since getting into software engineering, every company I worked for, and every group I worked in, I never met a "slacker" in the group and everybody seemed to me extremely intelligent and intensely focused on their work. That could be intimidating at times.

Contrast that to when I worked for the city of Los Angeles during summer when I was in high school and the overall sense, at least in the group I was in, seemed to just be putting in their time with as little effort as possible. I saw that in other "blue collar" jobs I had too, prior to getting into engineering. I also saw people who did care about the quality of their work in these situations, but they seemed to be the minority. I suspect that work that required true skilled craftsmanship would be different, but these were not jobs that I had, so I wouldn't have readily seen that.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-08-2015, 05:42 AM

Competence, or its lack, can be a two-edged sword. I've lived in cultures that were seriously incompetent whose people had their priorities elsewhere - family, having fun, socializing, leisure time - and such people were often very happy. I've also lived in cultures that were seriously competent, and their citizens were often stressed, stifled, obedient, and self-denying.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default And another customer disservice example...

I have many Ryobi One+ tools:
  • large screwdriver
  • small screwdriver
  • circular saw
  • chain saw
  • cut off saw
  • impact driver
  • flashlight
  • flashlight
  • another flashlight
  • flood light
  • air pump
  • vacuum cleaner
  • charger
  • fast charger
  • battery
  • spare battery
  • spare battery
  • extended battery

Ryobi had a design/manufacturing defect leading to a safety recall. They took my working charger away and replaced it with a new/different one. That one broke. I called them and they saiud "sorry that replacement unit only has a 90 day warranty"

OK, their argument is that they replaced my out-of-warranty unit with one with another 90 days of warranty and the old one might have failed by now anyway.

My argument is that I'm an excellent repeat customer and gave them lots of revenue. I had a working charger. They replaced it because of their own mistake. Now I don't have a working charger.

The person I talked to had zero interest in helping me, even though I was very courteous to her.

This is crappy customer service and makes me highly argue against ever recommending their company or products ever.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Why do we expect competence from everyone when evidence abounds that we all have different capabilities for learning.

The more important thing I'd like to see is removing the stigma associated with admitting to an error , accepting that we're human and liable to make a mistake, and committing to a willingness to look at ways to do things differently that will prevent an error.

You can't learn to make good decisions without making one or more bad decisions first.

Somewhere we stopped letting our kids fail, and they're growing up without the ability to fall and get back up and try again.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Wow seven pages of whining and moaning - perhaps we should have a "Curmudgeon" section ?
If you turn off avatars and signatures it's only 4 pages at 30 replies per page... You old curmudgeon. ,
Old 10-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
If you turn off avatars and signatures it's only 4 pages at 30 replies per page... You old curmudgeon. ,
Bah!! I can't be bothered with all this technology!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM

I think it is always good to keep in mind what I heard the autistic Temple Grandin say in an interview. She pointed out that while we might think the engineers who designed the Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Plant were stupid for placing the backup generators in the basement where they were vulnerable to flooding, they were smarter than most of us when it comes to designing an electricity generating plant powered by a nuclear reactor that functioned for 40 years with an annual output of 29,891 GWh.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic