The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
That's entirely different, surely. The driveway incident involves financial liability, admitting a condition does not. There are countless conditions and orientations that people today can and do talk about that twenty-five years ago would have been considered deviant by significant sections of the public.
To an extreme extent. "My analyst told me..." has become some kind of bragging right. It says 1) I'm so complex that I need need to consult a psychological analyst; 2) I make enough money to see an analyst; and 3) you will have to accept whatever my behavior is because I have a mental illness.

All fine and good....who cares...until the numbers start to affect government policies.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:31 AM
some guy from NY

....not to mention those who admit some mental illness to get "good" medicines or to support some claim that they are a victim...the key that will open more than one door.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 AM

Now why on earth would a person decide to hide mental illness with public opinion like this?

Either that or this thread is about to jump over to race......
Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Google "mass murderers on anti depressants" for another perspective.

Here's one source. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpinCRaAQOk
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Google "mass murderers on anti depressants" for another perspective.

Here's one source. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpinCRaAQOk
Couldn't you just give us a quick summary of the findings, so that we don't have to sit through the link? We'll take your word for it, honest!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:47 AM

I don't waste time on random youtube links either.

HIPPA prevents disclosure of which drugs these folks are on.
The drug companies also have a vested interest in keeping that under wraps.

Imagine if even half of shooters were on drug X...

Last edited by BananasCentral; 10-05-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: hippa
Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
....not to mention those who admit some mental illness to get "good" medicines or to support some claim that they are a victim...the key that will open more than one door.
You don't have a clue about mental illness. Really..no clue whatsoever.

You are taking a stereotype which is not even fair to the most privileged upper middle class psychotherapy patient, and are applying it to the entire spectrum of mental health patients: soldiers and cops with PTSD, elderly people with diagnoses of dementia who are not capable of participating in any pscyhotherapy (and certainly aren't able to posture as victims for personal gain) victims of horrific childhood abuse, alcoholics and drug addicts of all socioeconomic classes, schizophrenics, individuals with bipolar disorder, etc., etc.

Shame on you for promulgating this type of misinformed, stigmatizing garbage. Shame on you for indulging the dismissive stance that people experience diagnosable subjective distress because they seek secondary gain.

And pity on you for your cynicism and negativity.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Humanist

Try this painful humor:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-05-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Shame on you for promulgating this type of misinformed, stigmatizing garbage. Shame on you for indulging the dismissive stance that people experience diagnosable subjective distress because they seek secondary gain.

+1
There should be a national hotline to report your type of thinking which is more dangerous to our society that all the mass shooters combined.
Moreover I would submit that your blatantly insulting commentary contributes to the social circumstances which drives shooters to these acts.

My mother worked in mental health and as a boy I was exposed to many many patients. Both inpatient and outpatient.

The orderlys should come get you to be locked in a hospital with a schizophrenic roommate who can't hold a train of thought for more than 5 seconds.
Rambling or screaming about voices, punching himself in the ears to stop the voices.
Beating his head on the floor to stop the voices.
Then having a lucid conversation for 5-10 seconds before the hallucinations set in again.
"Dude... I think they're messing with... with my mental health in here..."
Oh yeah Kenny, they are DEFINITELY messin with your mental health.

.....later that day as Kenny has been strapped to a bed and screamed himself hoarse..... time to adjust the meds..........

Stigmatizing garbage... couldn't have said it better.

EDIT Larry that is a excellent video with the exception that comedy is the only acceptable way to talk about it. Still a great video. I find the "cluster dry hump" to be particularly accurate.

Last edited by BananasCentral; 10-05-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: DR? Phil
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM

A timely musical interlude ...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Humanist

Quote:

You are taking a stereotype which is not even fair to the most privileged upper middle class psychotherapy patient, and are applying it to the entire spectrum of mental health patients: soldiers and cops with PTSD, elderly people with diagnoses of dementia who are not capable of participating in any pscyhotherapy (and certainly aren't able to posture as victims for personal gain) victims of horrific childhood abuse, alcoholics and drug addicts of all socioeconomic classes, schizophrenics, individuals with bipolar disorder, etc., etc.

....but, but, but....it's the AGF.

Thank you, Rich.

I hope folks *do* watch the John Oliver video I linked to...quite a bit of real-info, coupled with the usual humor.

EDIT: Yes, Bananas, it's sad that the presentation of this apparently *has* to be made via humor...but it is indeed better than no discussion at all.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:

And some folks get away with it .
Do you recall the " Twinkie Defense " ? This was actually the result of a forensic psychiatrist , not the patient .
For those that do not know . I offer this .
A psychologist cannot prescribe medicine because they are not MD's .
A psychiatrist is an MD and can prescribe medicine .
The bottom line is that , just as it is with physical things , there are people that will fake mental issues in order to manipulate the system for drugs or whatever and there are professionals lacking integrity that will play ball purely for profit . The claim of blanket altruism is pure denial .
Lastly , pity should be reserved for those that cannot change circumstances and 3rd_harmonics' comments/opinions are potentially alterable .
This claim of pity is condescending at best .
Simple question from me . Are you a psychologist or a psychiatrist ? Please don't reply to my question with a question . A simple , straight answer is all I am looking for .
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:

And I said that applied to every real mentally ill person? No...I was explaining why aND how the list of "mentally ill" is now encompassing people with normal behavior. Pity you for your hair trigger inability to consider the realities and to change from dialog on a matter to ad hominum attacks.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 AM

Pity was the correct word. Just like the mentally ill who are unaware of their distorted thinking......well....
Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Well, some of you don't think a hotline is the answer. Obviously no amount of screenings are going to prevent the mentally challenged from obtaining their WMD of choice. Therefore, where do we go?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic