The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It is clear (from the definition, below, that I have copied from Merriam Webster) that using the term "hypocrisy" ought to refer to an act that involves a conscious intention to deceive, or the conscious adoption of a false image!or pretense. Look especially at the synonyms and antonyms. Merely behaving in a way that appears to be at odds with the beliefs one espouses ought not be labeled hypocrisy.

But, some folks like to make up their own definitions. and some folks will use a shocking or insulting term inaccurately rather than use speech that is less provocative, and more accurate.
maybe i'll try and overuse hypocrisy incorrectly in daily conversation, sort of like how "ironic" is often overused incorrectly.

joe: i'm feeling sleepy and wish i had more energy.
me: you hypocrite!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
...at the other end of the spectrum are those who say they don't smoke, they gave it up, and no one else should smoke either. that seems clearly hypocritical...
I don't follow. Are you saying former smokers are hypocrites for saying no one should smoke? Isn't a former smoker simply the current "struggling" smoker--whom you are advising us to refrain from calling a hypocrite--who has reached the end of their journey to quit?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
maybe i'll try and overuse hypocrisy incorrectly in daily conversation, sort of like how "ironic" is often overused incorrectly.

joe: i'm feeling sleepy and wish i had more energy.
me: you hypocrite!
Or like I tried with my wife last night: we went out for a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary. As she takes one last bite of lemon sorbet, she says, "I'm stuffed." I reply, "You are a hypocrite." She says something that I can't post on AGF. I say, "You don't have to get mad...I'm just telling the truth." She says, "I do have to get mad." I say, "Liar!", because I know she has a choice about what she wants to feel. Conversation ended about then. But it was a very pleasant evening....I think. She hasn't spoken to me since then. Women! Sheesh! So sensitive and irrational!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Or like I tried with my wife last night: we went out for a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary. As she takes one last bite of lemon sorbet, she says, "I'm stuffed." I reply, "You are a hypocrite." She says something that I can't post on AGF. I say, "You don't have to get mad...I'm just telling the truth." She says, "I do have to get mad." I say, "Liar!", because I know she has a choice about what she wants to feel. Conversation ended about then. But it was a very pleasant evening....I think. She hasn't spoken to me since then. Women! Sheesh! So sensitive and irrational!
Congratulations on your anniversary, it was also ours. We just went out and played music, we're still talking even though the wine she had came in these hippo carafes.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I don't follow. Are you saying former smokers are hypocrites for saying no one should smoke? Isn't a former smoker simply the current "struggling" smoker--whom you are advising us to refrain from calling a hypocrite--who has reached the end of their journey to quit?
sorry, i should have proof read my post better. in that case, i meant people who said all of that but still smoke. whoops. thanks for paying attention.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM

If your speeding and the police have to drive even faster than you to catch up with you and write you a ticket...

Is that hypocrisy?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
sorry, i should have proof read my post better. in that case, i meant people who said all of that but still smoke. whoops. thanks for paying attention.
No problem. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
sounds like you both are able to openly express your feelings - that is so cool!

seriously, though, this scenario is pretty common: for someone to be eating their main course, spaghetti, or whatever, and then say they are full. if they then proceed to eat something else, i will often say, "hey, i thought you werre full?", to which i always get the reply, "yes, i was, full of spaghetti".
Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
If your speeding and the police have to drive even faster than you to catch up with you and write you a ticket...

Is that hypocrisy?
No, because the police's actions in that situation are within the law (lights, sirens, due caution, etc.). What's hypocritical is when police speed because they think they're going to get away with it (and of course, usually do) or without following proper regulations that govern the operation of their vehicles in situations where they need to exceed the speed limit in the actual course of their duties.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I don't think that it's hypocritical for a smoker to advise someone not to start. Same goes for any other addiction.
If a heroin addict recommended it to others he'd be considered irresponsible to say the least.
I agree. To me, hypocrisy doesn't come from giving advice, it comes from judging others harshly (and/or publicly) for things one does oneself. You can give advice without judging the other party. If that's not the 'true' definition, it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Johnson
Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice;
I can think of a lot of things more unjust than that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic