The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 07:37 AM

Default Anyone tried Infeld Bronze strings?

I use Thomstik-Infeld strings on my archtop and LOVE them. Has anyone tried these INFELD BRONZE strings on their acoustic?

https://www.thomastik-infeld.com/en/.../infeld-bronze
Old 04-15-2024, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

These have to be the most exspensive strings i have seen yet :

https://reverb.com/item/78788966-tho...s-gauges-12-53

They do look tempting as I have used the Plectrum strings for years on my Mastergrade Goodall.

These roundwound sound very interesting. Hopefully someone has tried them on a resonator or a Gibson?
Old 04-17-2024, 07:56 AM

Big fan of TI strings as well. I’m curious about these but there’s not much information out there on them. Are they round, or hex core? And how are they different from the Spectrum line? Anyone have an idea?
Old 04-17-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaam View Post
Big fan of TI strings as well. I’m curious about these but there’s not much information out there on them. Are they round, or hex core? And how are they different from the Spectrum line? Anyone have an idea?

https://shop.thomastik-infeld.com/pr...infeld-bronze/

The Thomastik Infeld website says the core material on the wound strings is hexagonal carbon steel.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Its about time they came out with a phosphor bronze set...Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely gonna give them a try.

1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 04-17-2024, 02:26 PM

So these are apparently a medium tension set. Plectrum and Spectrum lines are low tension. That takes away some appeal for me but given how awesome their other strings are I might still give these a try. If anyone does try them, please post feedback. Curious.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:11 PM

There’s something magical about TI Plectrum strings, but these seem like just regular PB strings.

I’ll be really curious to hear reviews when someone tries a set.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaam View Post
So these are apparently a medium tension set. Plectrum and Spectrum lines are low tension.
They say that but are they really? I remember comparing tension of Plectrum 12s with standard PBs and the difference was insignificant. Perhaps they are a little more flexible with the silk.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:47 PM

I love the TI Spectrum strings too, but for their fat sound rather than their tension. For a difference in tension, try the pricey Santa Cruz parabolic mediums- my 000-18 Authentic loves them.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000Guy View Post
I love the TI Spectrum strings too, but for their fat sound rather than their tension. For a difference in tension, try the pricey Santa Cruz parabolic mediums- my 000-18 Authentic loves them.
I think you bring up a good point here, especially in context to thefsb's post above. The fat sound is real, at least on the OM I like to use Spectrums and Plectrums on. We talk about tension being relative to diameter spec, but the more apt comparison for me is "how much sound do you get in return for a given amount of tension (and playability)." In my case the 11-50 set of Plectrums stand up quite well to heavier sets in terms of tone and volume output. OTOH, I have a set of the 12-59s waiting to go on and I'm curious to see if the feel is any slinkier than other strings at the same diameter.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM

Sorry, this thread is about the Bronze strings but my answer is to fill in some detail about Plectrum.

I think this image may be somewhat enlightening. (I don't entirely trust these numbers because the plain string tensions should match and the 0.013 is off)

I think what we see here is that the AC111 set has unusually thin wound strings yielding a lower tension than we expect from a set of 11s. But the AC112 set has even thicker strings than normal for a set of 12s.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I think this image may be somewhat enlightening. (I don't entirely trust these numbers because the plain string tensions should match and the 0.013 is off)
Interesting that you picked up on that apparent discrepancy with the P13 string as I did a couple days ago as I was deciding my my next set of TI strings. As you point out, that same string has two tension ratings. I posed the question to a pal of mine - an aeronautical engineer - and guitarist, And here is his reply in "Dummies" format:

Re the string tension question - you’re right, for a given pitch, and string material, the tension should be lower for thinner strings. And that is what their tension chart shows, as long as you stay in their E section. The thing is their P13 string is in the B section, so they’ve assumed the normal pitch for the B string (246.9 Hz) to calculate tension instead of the pitch of the e string (329.6 Hz). If you were to use the P13 as an E string, its tension would go up to 27.8 lb, as opposed to the 22.8 lb for the thinner P12.

So, as I understand it, TI uses the same P13 string as either the 1st or 2nd string, and that its position determines the pitch and related tension.
Or, I am fooling myself, once again, into thinking I understand something I don't.

David
Old 04-21-2024, 12:44 PM

T-I set AC113 has 25.9 lb tension in the P13 E (1st) string.
D'Ad set EJ17 has 27.4 lb tension in the P13 E (1st) string.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Wow and I thought my Rotosound's were expensive.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:03 AM

Default TI strings

Tried my first SB-112 set. The “D” broke before I was even close to tension/tune.
I’ve been playing for 56 years and string breakage is not a common occurrence. Still waiting for customer service to respond. Love the sound and feel (thank goodness, I bought 2 sets, so I still had a reserve), but I’m pretty leery of spending this kind of money again unless I get some stellar assistance from TI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion