The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2024, 01:29 PM

Default Southern Jumbo vs. J45, Hummingbird (no other brands, please)

I bought a Gibson Southern Jumbo from Guitar Center in 2020. I store it in the case and make sure the humidity level is around 50%. I've taken it to Guitar Center a couple of times (including a couple weeks ago) to be adjusted/set up because of fret buzz. I've used these strings: Gibson Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings, Ultra Light, Ultra-Light Gauge: .011 .015 .022 .032 .042 .052
The tech replaced them with D'Addario (same gauge/type). I tune down a half step.

I occasionally experience fret buzz in various open and fretted positions, even if I play lightly. I also own a Gibson Songwriter cutaway. I've never experienced fret buzz with that, and I just keep it on a stand. The SJ is noticeably lighter than the Songwriter. Are Southern Jumbos prone to fret buzz, more so than other guitars? Is it possible that I got a lemon?

I had heard that the J-45 neck (a newer model, not the 50s model) is slightly rounder than the Southern Jumbo. If that's true, would they be less prone to buzz? How about a Hummingbird?

BTW, the only reason I take it to Guitar Center instead of another luthier is I don't any luthiers around me and I purchased an extended 5 year warranty from GC, so it's free. I'm seriously thinking of demanding my money back, per the warranty agreement.

Gibson Southern Jumbo (acoustic)
Gibson Songwriter (acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Hohner Special 20 harmonicas
Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Piano/Keyboard

Last edited by ggibson189; 04-15-2024 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:34 PM

Why would a rounder neck buzz less?

You haven't mentioned how much relief is in your neck but lighter strings, short scale and lower pitch can all create less relief without a corresponding truss rod adjustment. Maybe even negative relief if you have a one way truss rod.

A lot of people like Med strings on a J45, they are usually built to withstand them. There is a lot of top there to drive. You may like the tone/volume better too. Try a set of 12-54 or 13-56 strings and tune it to full pitch. Set your action at 6/64" low E at 12th fret. I'm guessing you'll eliminate some or all buzzing?

The Songwriter has a longer 25.5" scale which may create more relief with all else being equal.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:47 PM

You probably did not get a lemon.

You need to have it set up for the exact gauge of strings you're using, the fact that you tune down, your playing style and also have the relief checked once the strings are on.

One type of guitar and neck is not prone more to buzzing than another as long as they're set up properly.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Buzz in a quality instrument is never remedied by buying a new instrument. Any well-made, newer acoustic should be able to be set up without buzz. If this isn't a string change but an actual set-up, the tech needs to know that you tune down and needs to be told you want less buzzing. I also tune down and guitars that are fine for other players will buzz for me so I often make new nuts. When the nut (action) is higher you will get less buzz. You may need to play the guitar for your tech to show them how hard you are playing as the threshold for buzzes will vary from person to person.

They will need to install a new nut or at least a shim. If the action is clean save for certain trouble spots, the frets might need to be address. But, this is less likely.
It's also possible that the truss rod may need adjusting, which is something the tech should look at. If you are needing more than what a Guitar Center tech can offer, look for a repair shop. Some guys at GC are actually reasonably skilled, some are just filling in the role.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:07 PM

Was a full set up done or just an action adjustment? A complete set up will involve, proper humidification, proper adjustment of the guitar's relief, nut and saddle evaluation/adjustment as necessary, fret evaluation and adjustment as necessary (think PLEK), adjusting the string height based on your strings, attack, capo use...... afterwards, it should not buzz anywhere.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2020 Southern Jumbo purchased from Sweetwater (not that it matters) and after I adjusted the truss rod, which has to be done three or four times a year anyway and crafted a new compensated bone saddle, the action is in electric guitar territory and no matter how hard I play it with StringJoy 12-54 80/20 Brights, which really brought it to life, there has never been a single buzz.

My guitar apparently came with a Tusq saddle mistakenly from the factory and replacing that with bone made a huge improvement in both tone and volume while intonating it, where the Southern Jumbo did not come with an intonated saddle, made a huge difference in overall in tune-ness, if that's even a word.

I had no issue with high frets anywhere but that's easy enough to check with both a straightedge and a fret rocker. I hated the open backed Grover's that came on the guitar and replaced them with the 21:1 Waverly's as soon as they became available.

You should probably learn how to do your own truss rod adjustments as it's so easy to do correctly and I simply cannot imagine paying someone to do it a few times a year, and not just for the money but more for the time it takes to have someone do it.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 04-16-2024, 11:21 AM

Ultra Light Strings and tuning down a half step? And I imagine you want the lowest action possible. This is the reason why you’re getting buzz unless you play with the lightest touch. You’re essentially wanting an acoustic guitar to play like an electric. If that’s the case, you’d be better off with a Fender Acoustasonic.

It’s possible (anything is possible) that the Guitar Center repair monkey filed the nut slots too deep. But I’d start with getting used to playing .12s (a Southern Jumbo will sound better with strings heavier than .11s) and go from there.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I play down in CGCFCE without buzz which is way below Eb. If you are getting buzzing with 11-52s in Eb tuning you need a setup. I would take a look at your saddle and nut and see if either the saddle was cut too low or the nut was too deeply slotted.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Ultra Light Strings and tuning down a half step? And I imagine you want the lowest action possible. This is the reason why you’re getting buzz unless you play with the lightest touch. You’re essentially wanting an acoustic guitar to play like an electric.
This is certainly a big part of the problem. Ultra light strings, tuned down on a short scale guitar is a recipe for buzzing.

The notion of a guitar that doesn't buzz no matter what is a myth. It's always a tradeoff. If you want super low action, and floppy strings, there's going to be buzzing sometimes.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:16 AM

Without a response from the OP on exactly what was done, or not, everything is speculation. No one can know what the OP's "play lightly" means. I would ask they why they are tuning down on a short-scale guitar with extra-light strings. It's already a slinky, easy-playing guitar. I would also stop taking it back to the place that hasn't resolved the buzzing issue and drive over to Maury's and get an opinion on the guitar's set up and on the buzzing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair