The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-23-2014, 03:56 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
The finish has cured and I am now on to wet sanding. Finish is always one of those processes that are so rewarding as a luthier. This is where the wood comes to life- depth is added to the wood and true colors are revealed. This top has to be the most drastic change that I have ever seen of any wood.....

I really like it as well. From this angle it resembles Koa a bit and matches that body very nicely. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
After reading your posts and the comments, about the Macassar compared to New Guinea ebonies, it reminded me that Gilmer Woods refers to it's New Guinea as Diospyros insularis which is the same botanical name RC Tonewoods refers to about it's Macassar Ebony.

Wich brings ( for me) the question : are these 2 ebonies, in fact, the same species, coming from a different location ?

Thank you for enlightening me

EDIT : BTW that Guitar is looking fantastic !
J-F-C,
Macassar Ebony as I know it is Diospyros celebica and as you mention New Guinea Ebony is Diospyros insularis. Macassar ebony grows all around New Guinea- in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, etc. So these two woods are very close in growing proximity to one another and are very close in working characteristics as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Hey, is that a Padauk bridge plate? I've been thinking it's a suitable material, and as my RW stock is dwindling, it's been looking really appealing to me, especially as I have a pile of orphan sides just waiting to be used for something.

Is there a particular reason you went with Padauk (if it is) as opposed to the more standard maple or EIR? Just curious...
The bridge plate is actually bloodwood on this guitar. I like to use a resonant wood for the bridge plate. I like the way they make my guitars sound better than woods like maple which are much softer. I wouldn't hesitate to use padauk, any rosewood, bloodwood, purple heart, etc.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
Chris, that is a BEAUTIFUL guitar...just sorry it's a commissioned one...would love to see that in Memphis
Thanks for the kind words Bob! I can't say that I am sorry this is a commission though

I will be bringing some really amazing builds to Memphis. In fact, I have been digging through my piles and stacking up the builds this week.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I really like it as well. From this angle it resembles Koa a bit and matches that body very nicely. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.
Thanks J.R. And since you mentioned it, here is a picture of the guitar all buffed out and the bridge being glued on:

Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Thanks Chris...
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
J-F-C,
Macassar Ebony as I know it is Diospyros celebica and as you mention New Guinea Ebony is Diospyros insularis. Macassar ebony grows all around New Guinea- in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, etc. So these two woods are very close in growing proximity to one another and are very close in working characteristics as well.
Thank you for the infos

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM

I like how the woods blend together. I like how the redwood darkened.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Side note: I don't use zpoxy anymore for porefill, In my experience it continues to shrink over time. I've switched to west systems epoxy. This must "cure out" quicker - after switching I didn't have the same issues (at least not as quickly - time will tell). Also, this goes on pretty much clear with hardly no amber tint. (although I loved the amber tint).

Just my experience.

Kevin.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
I like how the woods blend together. I like how the redwood darkened.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Side note: I don't use zpoxy anymore for porefill, In my experience it continues to shrink over time. I've switched to west systems epoxy. This must "cure out" quicker - after switching I didn't have the same issues (at least not as quickly - time will tell). Also, this goes on pretty much clear with hardly no amber tint. (although I loved the amber tint).

Just my experience.

Kevin.
Ironic that you would mention west systems. I have been researching making the switch for the exact reason that you mentioned. I love the amber that zpoxy adds though, but the lack of shrinkage is super important.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:26 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I am pleasantly surprised by the top. It reminds me of a burnt spruce top on a Matsuda guitar I have seen.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Strings are on! I have done the initial setup on the guitar and now I will leave it alone for 2 weeks to let it settle in before shipping it off to its new home. This allows the guitar to do the majority of its moving around and getting used to its new roll as a guitar. I will adjust the set up after the 2 week period and get it fine tuned at that point.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Ironic that you would mention west systems. I have been researching making the switch for the exact reason that you mentioned. I love the amber that zpoxy adds though, but the lack of shrinkage is super important.
I find the pump system of West Systems to be much more user friendly! I'm always afraid of not putting in enough hardener with the 50/50 guessing game so I invariably end up running out of hardener before resin...

The WS was developed for boat industry composite layups and seems to get into the pores and flow out better than the ZPoxy, too. I bought the zpoxy on my last purchase because the boat place that used to sell me West Systems went out of business...and the hobby shop had Zpoxy. I hadn't heard anything about the shrinkage, though...bummer.

Long story short...If you're thinking of switching to WS I also recommend it.

Btw, great looking guitar! Nice clean construction and beautifully complimentary wood choices.

Brad
Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM

That is an outstanding guitar! Great wood choices.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmore View Post
That is an outstanding guitar! Great wood choices.
Thanks nashmore. I appreciate you following along. The client and I are very happy with the final look of this guitar.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Over the weekend, my wonderful wife and photographer found some time to do some glamour shots of the guitar. I must say, the higher the gloss, the darker the wood, the harder it is to get accurate photos without huge reflections. So I am always impressed with how well she does with such a challenging subject. I am truly blessed to have her help in capturing and documenting each of my guitars. It is nice to be able to change the shop over to a studio for a day and spend some time appreciating all the work that goes into each guitar.

I always love the sound of a redwood/ebony guitar. This one is no exception. I love the roundness of the notes, the dark almost ominous sound it produces, and the lush overtones. This one is about a week or so from heading to its new home. I hope you enjoy the photos:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop