The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I got to visit John today and play his new Meridian and it is really something else. The guitar just sings after only being a few weeks old and is very responsive. Its really a pleasure to listen to from both the players perspective and the audience. The details and craftsmanship on the guitar are out of this world. We spent about 3 hours going back and forth with my JX, his CX, and his new Meridian playing in different tunings. I'm not the best at describing the sounds in a descriptive manner so I won't go there other than his Meridian blew me away. We had lot of fun listening to and playing all of the guitars. John is a very lucky man and yes, the cocobolo is 'sick.'
Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Sounds clips please! Looks like a phenomenal guitar.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sound Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamablo View Post
Sounds clips please! Looks like a phenomenal guitar.
My new Baranik Meridian is a phenomenal guitar, both in sound and looks, and I've really been enjoying it. Even though my expectations where very high with this custom build, Mike exceeded them by a big margin. Mike aesthetics and tone are a perfect fit for me, and I hope to be able to play this guitar for many, many years to come.

I've been trying to get my playing up to a level where I wouldn't feel so self-conscious about any sound clips I posted. Since I don't know if that will ever happen, I will try my best to post some sound clips in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the motivation Adamablo!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM

That is a wonderful looking guitar!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Sorry to resurrect Zombie thread, but just wondering if you ever had a chance to record anything with this one. Looking for the overtones!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 PM

it`s so nice ;(
Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile Really a zombie thread now

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Sorry to resurrect Zombie thread, but just wondering if you ever had a chance to record anything with this one. Looking for the overtones!
Matthew, you inspired me to get out from under the thumb of Photobucket. I saw that you had updated your build threads using a different photo host, and it inspired me to fix my Baranik build thread. Now, everyone can see all these wonderful photos again and the work of art that Mike created.

I thought it would also give me an opportunity to post a review of sorts after having owned this Meridian for over four years now (wow how time flies!).

I play this wonderful guitar every week, and it is my "go-to" guitar out of all that I own. First off, the adjustable neck is more useful than I thought. I play in tunings higher than standard and many where the low E is dropped to a C. It is great to be able to adjust the string height on the fly if needed to accommodate for lower or higher overall string tension. Plus, I don't have to worry about needing a neck reset - ever.

I can say unequivocally that this guitar is the best all around guitar I have played - for my ears and taste. I really love a modern sound with plenty of overtones, and Mike really delivered in both areas. This guitar is dynamic, clear, resonant, full and just sings. Of course this guitar has opened up since I received it, but the change is hard to notice since it happens very slowly over time. I was happy with the sound when it first arrived and am just as happy now.

The playability of Mike's guitars couldn't be better. It is very comfortable to play for long periods of time (two hours is about my limit before my fingers get tired and sore). Everything about the guitar has held up great over the last four years. The finish still looks as good as new it plays like a dream. It still smells good too!

I also get a lot of joy from looking at all the stunning details of this guitar, including all the unbelievable woods that Mike put together into one piece of playable artwork. Try as I might, I cannot find any imperfections in the quality of Mike's woodworking. There are so many beautiful details and curves on this guitar, that it truly stuns me how great of an artist that Mike is.

The testament to how great I think this guitar is, is that even with all the other great builders out there, I gave Mike a deposit for another custom build down the road. Plus, for the sound quality, playability, and amount of fine work and detail Mike puts into each guitar, they represent a great value for what Mike charges.

I am semi-retired now, so I have more time to play guitar. I will finally record this guitar and post a sound clip in the next couple weeks.

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 10-02-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

John--thanks for updating the photos to this wonderful thread. I enjoyed following along during the process and have often gone back over the years to relive your build.

Between watching your guitar and Juston's come to life here on the AGF, I became very interested in Mike's guitars and the possibility of commissioning one. After meeting Mike and playing several of his Meridians at Santa Barbara, I was sold and put down a deposit for a Meridian while at the festival this year.

Seeing your updated review here only reaffirms my belief that I made a wise choice! Thanks again for the update.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Awesome news! I toiled for a few days to shed the photobucket yoke, and am very glad I did so. I paid dearly with a vicious argument with my wife about time spent ignoring my family, but this project was important to me, and although I couldn't get each photo thread exactly right, I think I got the spirit and highlights. I can see you did the same!

I'm glad our sister set guitars get so much playing time. I will never sell mine, but one of my sons will be a very happy camper one day!

Thanks for bringing back one of my favorite AGF threads!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 AM

Well done John!

When we look at Mike's guitars we think "How can a guitar look so good?" Then when we play them it's "On top of those looks....How can they sound and play so well!?"

Nemoman, you are in for a treat!

Col
Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
John--thanks for updating the photos to this wonderful thread. I enjoyed following along during the process and have often gone back over the years to relive your build.

Between watching your guitar and Juston's come to life here on the AGF, I became very interested in Mike's guitars and the possibility of commissioning one. After meeting Mike and playing several of his Meridians at Santa Barbara, I was sold and put down a deposit for a Meridian while at the festival this year.

Seeing your updated review here only reaffirms my belief that I made a wise choice! Thanks again for the update.
Congratulations on the new Baranik Meridian commission Nemoman! I'm sure you will be very happy with both the build process and the final product. I look forward to following your build thread. When does your build start? Have you selected any woods yet?

Thanks for your nice words about my build thread. It means a lot to me. I was a bit hesitant to update a four-year old thread. I was worried that nobody would be interested.

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Awesome news! I toiled for a few days to shed the photobucket yoke, and am very glad I did so. I paid dearly with a vicious argument with my wife about time spent ignoring my family, but this project was important to me, and although I couldn't get each photo thread exactly right, I think I got the spirit and highlights. I can see you did the same!

I'm glad our sister set guitars get so much playing time. I will never sell mine, but one of my sons will be a very happy camper one day!

Thanks for bringing back one of my favorite AGF threads!
Thanks so much Matthew. I hope we get to meet at the the next Santa Barbara show or some other time soon - maybe another Baranik gathering. I think we have a lot in common.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Well done John!

When we look at Mike's guitars we think "How can a guitar look so good?" Then when we play them it's "On top of those looks....How can they sound and play so well!?"

Nemoman, you are in for a treat!

Col
Well spoken as usual my friend Colin. How is that new Wingert E treating you? That is one gorgeous guitar. Thanks again for visiting. It was great to see you.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I look forward to sharing my build thread here. Mike said he was about 15 months out when I signed up down in Santa Barbara, so I don't anticipate taking delivery until early 2019. I'm in no hurry, although I'm sure the anticipation will get stronger and stronger as the date approaches.

I haven't specifically picked out any woods yet. I really want to go with cocobolo and Mike has a board of it he needs to resaw so we can take a look at it. It has nice straight grain with some sapwood, so I'm hopeful it will tap well and also be sweet to look at--nothing compared to the figure in yours though, John! That is really some awesome coco.

I plan to go with a blue spruce top as it seems to be a signature element with Mike's guitars, and I really loved the sound it produced on the Meridians I played. I do need to make a trip down to Mike's shop within the coming months so that I can pick out a top from his supply. That will only ratchet my anticipation level up. I also want to incorporate the Baranik adjustable neck feature as well--so simple and effective for changing the action on demand.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the playability and tone of the Baranik's I played at SB really sold me. As you noted, the tone was so resonant and even across the entire fretboard. The aesthetics are simple yet stunning--I found the whole playing experience of them to be sublime. And in the short time we emailed prior to and spoke together at SB, I found Mike to be a super guy as well.

I'm really looking forward to this build experience and receiving this guitar. Thanks for letting me chime in here!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I look forward to sharing my build thread here. Mike said he was about 15 months out when I signed up down in Santa Barbara, so I don't anticipate taking delivery until early 2019. I'm in no hurry, although I'm sure the anticipation will get stronger and stronger as the date approaches.

I haven't specifically picked out any woods yet. I really want to go with cocobolo and Mike has a board of it he needs to resaw so we can take a look at it. It has nice straight grain with some sapwood, so I'm hopeful it will tap well and also be sweet to look at--nothing compared to the figure in yours though, John! That is really some awesome coco.

I plan to go with a blue spruce top as it seems to be a signature element with Mike's guitars, and I really loved the sound it produced on the Meridians I played. I do need to make a trip down to Mike's shop within the coming months so that I can pick out a top from his supply. That will only ratchet my anticipation level up. I also want to incorporate the Baranik adjustable neck feature as well--so simple and effective for changing the action on demand.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the playability and tone of the Baranik's I played at SB really sold me. As you noted, the tone was so resonant and even across the entire fretboard. The aesthetics are simple yet stunning--I found the whole playing experience of them to be sublime. And in the short time we emailed prior to and spoke together at SB, I found Mike to be a super guy as well.

I'm really looking forward to this build experience and receiving this guitar. Thanks for letting me chime in here!
Both John and I can attest to Cocobolo and Blue Spruce to be an excellent combo. It is the most resonant guitar I have ever played. I can't remember the scale for sure, but I think it's 26.5-27.5, so sometimes I like to leave it in C modal, and slap harmonics in that tuning can ring for no kidding minutes. The guitar is literally exactly was I was hoping for, and am not kidding when I say they'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. If only I had the skill to do it justice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop