The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Kevin, what a nice note! And the guitar is beautiful!! Your attention to detail is astounding.

Regarding the sapwood sets, I like them. Maybe I'm just trusting, but if you showed me those and told me they'd make a great guitar that wouldn't develop structural issues, I'd believe that. I feel, if I am willing to spend/invest that much on an instrument and have chosen you (for all of the reasons one would make such a choice), I would have faith in your choice of woods; if they'd be an issue, you wouldn't show them to me. I'd also hope you'll be around long enough to handle any issues if they do arise. I like "interesting" woods, which is part of the reason I am such a fan of the custom section of the forum, and elected to have a guitar made rather than purchase something off the shelf.
Hi mikealpine - Its great to get feedback like that. Yes the guitar is great. Thanks Mike.

I'm going to continue to dry down the pieces of wood shown in this thread and I'll use them when someone wants it. Its ready to use from this point forward and thats why I showed them in this thread.

I've used figured woods a lot over the years. I'll be happy to use woods like this for anyone seeking this type of figure on their guitar.

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM

This is a multi-laminated neck using sapele/koa.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[IMG
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/581670_278051778993062_678413531_n.jpg[/IMG]

I do have a couple more things to do to the sides before I glue the back and top on.

Hope you like.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Holy crap! Now that's a double side!...hollow side??

The picture isn't showing up...but I think you know what I mean. Bet that rim crazy rigid!

Brad
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful work Kevin. Beautiful!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxwood_Handmade View Post
Holy crap! Now that's a double side!...hollow side??

The picture isn't showing up...but I think you know what I mean. Bet that rim crazy rigid!

Brad

Hey Brad,

This guitar is engineered to have a thinner top than normal (if I want it to be that way :-)) (Monocoque design), an adjustable neck, and a smooth interior bracing (less friction). So the sides are engineered to take up a lot more of the load than a normal "laminated" side.

The headblock is laminated in too, to lessen its tendency to "twist" or rotate. It has a very high strength ufb and there are no flying buttress' attached to the side. Since the sides take up more of the load, I can also manipulate the back more or less, depending on what I'm shooting for.

These sides do a fabulous job. All this "extra build" takes time and is optional (translation - not all people want to pay for this stuff). The mass of the sides really helps contribute to a long sustain.

Its a neat concept/guitar. I'm still dialing in how all this works together. Come check it out in woodstock. I'm really happy with it.

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Beautiful work Kevin. Beautiful!
thank you cigarfan. hope youre doing well.

Kevin.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM

I was reading a thread on here - Indian Hill, and he was talking about maple and how he feels its under rated, I think so too. Anyway, I didn't want to post my pic in his thread so I'll just reference that thread here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=335401&page=4

And then post these pics of a maple guitar I made a while back. Maple is awesome! Love it.

Maybe its time to work on another maple acoustic :-).

Kevin.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM

I use the west systems epoxy for pore fill. The pumps they send with are calibrated (one pump each), but they're calibrated 3 to 1 ratio. Because I tend to mix up smaller batches, I went out and bought two bottles to put the epoxy in. I got them at the Hobby store. Definitely WEIGH each mix ratio (resin/hardener) on a gram scale (three to one ((actually 3.7 to 1 by weight)). Too much hardener and you'll get a gummy mix - won't harden.

This will get you a clear GLASS surface that most finishes will stick to. UV/Poly etc.

This is also good glue epoxy. Its super thin, but if you set your timer on your smart phone for ten minutes or so, it will be at just the right consistency for gluing.

Zpoxy is a hobby glue/pore filler and shrinks over time. I recommend getting the West Systems instead. It also goes on clear and dries clear, no amber tint (although I like the amber tint).

Kevin.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
I use the west systems epoxy for pore fill. The pumps they send with are calibrated (one pump each), but they're calibrated 3 to 1 ratio. Because I tend to mix up smaller batches, I went out and bought two bottles to put the epoxy in. I got them at the Hobby store. Definitely WEIGH each mix ratio (resin/hardener) on a gram scale (three to one ((actually 3.7 to 1 by weight)). Too much hardener and you'll get a gummy mix - won't harden.

This will get you a clear GLASS surface that most finishes will stick to. UV/Poly etc.

This is also good glue epoxy. Its super thin, but if you set your timer on your smart phone for ten minutes or so, it will be at just the right consistency for gluing.

Zpoxy is a hobby glue/pore filler and shrinks over time. I recommend getting the West Systems instead. It also goes on clear and dries clear, no amber tint (although I like the amber tint).

Kevin.
Great build Kevin, The Zpoxy shrinkage, is something I didn't know about. I was actually about to try the Zpoxy. Are there any draw backs at all with the West System or tone loss?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Great build Kevin, The Zpoxy shrinkage, is something I didn't know about. I was actually about to try the Zpoxy. Are there any draw backs at all with the West System or tone loss?
I don't think there are any major drawbacks with the WS...just needs to be measured correctly (like any epoxy).

I personally think you'll get better results.

Kevin.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Here is the back of this maple guitar. The finish came out great on this one. Also - these are my 'Signature Neck Laminations'...a contrasting middle piece with the fine line accents.

Kevin.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like The Tree Mahogany inlayed in the center. Very nice even if it isn't.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Looks like The Tree Mahogany inlayed in the center. Very nice even if it isn't.
Hi Dennis,

Its quilted maple. Its The Tree Maple and I got a lot more of it .

Nice mild "cool" day in Iowa. I like these days.

Hope you have a nice day too.

Kevin.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM

I try to be original in most of my ideas. And I've tried to make a point not to out and out copy something of a design. I've duplicated inlays etc...but if something was "questionable" I've tried to "move the lines" until it wasn't plagiarism.

In the end a guitar design/shape still has to:

1. Be appealing.
2. It has to have a shape/design that people will accept.
3. And it still has to function like a guitar.
4. There's more but...

Can this criteria be met without copying someone, "yes".

I'm always thinking "what can I do to be different?", because I don't come from the Somoygi apprentice school. Id say that is a platform that most of us don't have. Good for them. I'll have to go another way. I'm ok with that, and I don't have negative feelings about them. Ervin chose them from applicants and he didn't just pick anyone and train them. They had something the others didn't. A certain skill or vision, that Ervin saw from amongst the applicants. And he had to relate to them in some way too...I'm sure there are plenty of guys that had great skill that he didn't chose for that reason.

I also learned a lesson early on from PRS. I had "legal interaction" with PRS about some issues (in the late 90's), and from there I just tried to make something different. Something where they had no "legal basis" in sending me letters. This is why I don't put birds on my guitars. It taught me a lot about "trademark" and "patent". Correctly put, most guitars are "legally identical".

All this said, there is only so much change in a format that will hold three tuners on one side and three on the other side. We are all closely related, things trend, but we should try be a pioneer of some sort. At least try.

Thats my thought for today.

Kevin.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM

working on something similar for up coming guitar. These are very organic in nature. Top photo has no finish on it. This all blended well.

These is more difficult than the ones that don't wrap so far.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop