The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default 2014 GAL - Tacoma July 23-27

Well, the Guild of American Luthiers Convention starts next week on Wednesday at Pacific Lutheran University (just south of Tacoma). I know it's mainly a get together of builders of all types of stringed instruments, but I thought guys here might want to hear some about it. I believe several of the sponsor luthiers here will be going, and I'm interested what you might be bringing. Also, there is an open to the public exhibition on Saturday the 26th. We would love to meet some Seattle/Tacoma AGFers. Come see us!

We're bringing our (finally!) finished Ren-Ovation project, a Bearclaw/Walnut OM, and a Redwood/Sycamore parlor.

Who else and what are you bringing?

More info at : http://www.luth.org

See you there.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Looking forward to it!

I'll be bringing the Opus prototype and an OM.

Pat
Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice Pat! Look forward to seeing that in person.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:37 PM

I had planned to go but can't take the time out of the shop...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Gal

Are there instruments on sale at this event?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Brian, the event is more of a convention of builders, but there is a public exhibition on Saturday. The instruments being shown by over 50 builders, by some of the top in the business down to newbies, will not have prices on them, but most of us are in this (profession, not show) for sales. It is not the intention of the show, but I know of several instruments that have sold there. If you're in the area, you probably wouldn't want to miss out.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

So I thought I would post a couple pics of some stuff I've seen. I'm SLOWLY making my way through the exhibition. I'm really impressed by some "hobbyist" builds and the "pros" aren't bad either. Hope you enjoy some reporting. Apologies for the iPhone pics.

It was a pleasure to get to meet Pat Foster, and his guitars are gorgeous. Maybe he'll chime in on this one but I believe it is a OO with Cocobolo back/sides with a nice cutaway. Nice clean varnish finish.

This next one is a nylon string guitar from Thailand (you can pronounce the name). The rosette is a well done optical illusion. This is an example of the fine workmanship seen on several builders coming out of SE Asia.

A couple of ukes by Jay Lichty. The concert tonight was a fabulous Hawaiian ukelele and slack-key guitar performance by Kimo Hussey and Keoki Kahumoku. Hussey played a Lichty uke and it had the sweetest tone.

A Mike Doolin harp guitar. If you know Mike you know his goal is to build cool instruments. He's succeeded here.

I hope this isn't just superlative central, but good guitars are literally underfoot here.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the post, Ryan - some great looking instruments. More pics are always welcome!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

More pics from the weekend. Again, apologies for my terrible iphone skills. It was a blast, and I had a lot of fun getting to talk to fellow AGF luthiers Pat Foster and Steve Sheriff (Edwinson).

A GREAT nylon crossover by Edwinson Lutherie. Steve's innovative redesign of the classical guitar sounded great when matched against some of the best in the world. Big kudos to him for trying to make a better mousetrap and succeeding.

The antithesis of Steve's guitar is this sho nuff Classical by RE Bruné.

A couple of guitars from Steve Grimes from Hawaii. He had some great ukes there as well.

A cool multiscale by Michael Colbert.

A excellent sounding instrument from Elliott Hoffman. I'm pretty sure this was his second guitar.

Thanks for looking.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Ryan, thanks. It is indeed cocobolo, sold as a cosmetically impaired "thrift set", with Lutz and varnish, my Opus shape.

It was great to meet you and Steve. We did go to the auction after urging from Steve, and it was a hoot. Friendships renewed, new ones begun, it was a blast. Here are just a few photos:

Harry Fleishman and the builder of this wild guitar.

Peghead of a wild, antique banjo.

Jeffrey Yong and his helper, and some of his beautiful instruments.

Guitars of John Carrigan, of Curly Creek Guitars.

The workshops and presentations were top notch, but the people really made it great. Can't wait for the next one!

Pat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop