The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking great, Kevin. That rosette is really unique... reminds me of stained glass.
thanks JR. I really love this rosette. It will look really nice under the clear coat.

Kevin.

Here are a couple pics from today. I got the top plate shaped out and more of the bracing complete. I also make my own purflings, for the most part, and I made some to go around this rosette. Wasn't able to get them put in today though.

Also drafting out some ideas on a multi scale neck...not 100% on this.

Kevin.

Last edited by KevinLPederson; 07-12-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM

I added the rosette purflings. Looks really cool up close and in person. This will really "pop" once the clear coat hits this.

Kevin.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Kevin, that Macassar is really beautiful...with a cedar top - that should sound great!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Love the rosette. Reminds me of the tile work in Southern Spain.

Humberto
Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
Kevin, that Macassar is really beautiful...with a cedar top - that should sound great!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hreboredo View Post
Love the rosette. Reminds me of the tile work in Southern Spain.

Humberto
Thanks Bob - Its going to sound amazing! I'm following the Modified SJ recipe and I've been able to take some weight out of the top. We'll see how she turns out, but I think this is going to be beyond responsive into the reactive stages. Its going to be a fingerstyle delight for sure. No doubt. I'll never forget the reaction I got from the StewMac guys early Saturday Morning at Healdsburg when I showed them MOD SJ#1 (I wanted to show them the patented saddles for distribution). They were very impressed and when they played it they commented on the sound!

hreboredo - Thanks!!!! Its looks even cooler in person. If someone wants to count the pieces and let me know, that would be great - I'll give you a discount on your next purchase. (forgive my giddiness, just got new bikes in and went on a 6 mile journey before jumping on this forum - lack of oxygen maybe ha).

Kevin.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Some rosette pics. Good lighting and I finished the black ring to bind the sound hole.

This shape is starting to grow on me. I didn't think this at first, but the top side (shoulders) has a Martin-vibe going on. Didn't plan for that, but...I'll take it .

Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM

I spent the day making templates and jiggery for multi-scale fret board layouts. Subtle layouts. I'm thinking very little player adjustment, but added length for DADGAD tunings.

After I get these jigs made I should be able to offer a few options. I'm thinking 25"/25.5" and 25"/25.7" and 25"/26" and 25.5"/29.5" (to name a few)...really, any of the more standard/traditional layouts I'll be able to offer in combinations.

Even a 25.5 to 25.7"...just gives a little extra tension on the bass strings. Or on a smaller guitar a 24 3/4" to 24.9"...

Not totally sure what I'm going to do on this MOD SJ#2, still thinking about it.

Hope you all had a nice day.

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:06 PM

I got my templates made and slotted a 25.7 bass 25.5 treble. I slotted some scrap fingerboards and its nice, works great.

I think I'll stick with 25.5 on this Modified SJ#2, and the multiscale on the OM thread I'm working on getting started.

I'm thinking about the binding scheme now. The concept of the back/sides and cedar top is a very dark hue. So I'll keep that in mind. Should have some more pics tomorrow evening.

Kevin.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Here are some pics of things I've been working on last couple days. Side laminations etc.

Kevin.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM

squaring the side up

Here is a picture of my ufb with a concrete block on it. I couldn't balance it because the brace is thin, so I had to place a pencil eraser on the back side.

Its important in my guitars, that this brace is very stiff.

Kevin.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 AM

Hi Kevin,

Nice build so far, that rosette is really unique looking. Is that brace above laminated or do you just choose a piece of spruce for strength? I haven't seen any of the other luthiers that post here use a concrete block for deflection testing
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Hunt View Post
Hi Kevin,

Nice build so far, that rosette is really unique looking. Is that brace above laminated or do you just choose a piece of spruce for strength? I haven't seen any of the other luthiers that post here use a concrete block for deflection testing
Hi Murray Hunt - Thanks, I really like this guitar conceptually, including the rosette. Going to have some cool things yet to show during the thread.

Ha - the concrete block is HEAVY (100lbs?? don't know for sure but its heavy!), so this is a great test for me. There are those of us out there doing some experimenting. I enjoy the journey. Thanks for posting.

Kevin.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Got some bloodwood purflings put on the fingerboard today. Headstock overlay went on.

Got the inside liners put in/on. Indian rosewood. Quartersawn Indian Rosewood bends like butter at around .060" . Should be a very "cedar/rosewood" tone. Looking forward to hearing it.

Hope you all enjoyed your day.

Kevin.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Got the side liners in and sanded down to the correct radius. Next would be the back install.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Here are some updates to the neck/headstock. I got the ebony overlay on, shaped the headstock, got the purflings/bingings on the headstock. I also added a little patch of tile to the headstock area. One of the pics was blurry but I'll get a better one when I can.

I need to get the binding on the fingerboard today. I would love to glue the back and top on to the sides but time is getting the best of me. Its been nice temps in Iowa and lower humidity so it would be a GREAT time to get the body closed up. I should have this done by tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy the pics. This is one I'll have at Woodstock, Lord willing .

I won't put up my OM thread unless I think I can get it done for woodstock.

Kevin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop