The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM

Default Sexauer FT-0-JB/2 Brazilian - Italian

Sexauer FT-0-JB/2 Brazilian - Italian

Single "0" body size, Asymetrical in body (wedge), and scale.

Preface:
I've owned and lived with this guitar for the better part of a year, play it daily, and I've been meaning to do a review/exposé of this guitar for a long while. I intentionally waited for the honeymoon to be over, and to really get to know it's attributes, virtues, strengths and weaknesses before writing. It's name, or model number is somewhat self explanatory, and then somewhat clandestine. FT=Flat Top, 0=body size, JB/2=asymmetrical configuration. It's the JB/2 that's clandestine, and without being clued in (ask Bruce), I would bet not anybody would know what it meant.
I didn't want to come across as a fanboy (although after reading through it, there is some gushing that seems to border on that) , as I'm not... the builder at times rubs me in a direction where I might enjoy doing a negative review a bit too much... and other times he could charm you into a polyannaish view of the world... so I wanted to keep the guitar as the focal point.

Build:
This is a Single "0" size guitar, with many custom features. Made from exquisitely straight grained perfectly quartered Brazilian Rosewood Back and Sides, with Italian Spruce top.
Beautifully carved Honduran mahogany neck carved from a billet. I know many very respected builders that put a lot of science into the neck build with lamination techniques, reversing the grain, etc for strength.. and I'm sure they've hit the mark of what was strived for.. but, there is a bit magic that can't be denied when the correct billet is selected, and then beautifully carved.
The body is slightly wedged for a very intimate and comfortable play. There is a precisely cut (in size and position) sound port in the side, where there is a science of opening measure between it and the top sound hole. Ask Bruce about it, (or Bruce pipe in please?) he can speak to it much more clearly than I can.. I can just tell you the outcome is a glorious playing experience.
It is a multi scaled neck that is not quite considered a fan fret, as the bridge is still vert conservatively positioned, yet the frets are... well, fanned I guess. Anyway there's no issue with the math so intonation is as spot on as anything I've ever played, and of course it lends itself very naturally to alternate tunings such as DADGAD etc.
From a bling perspective, it looks deceivingly plain at quick glance, but if you spend some inspection time, many intricate design features start to pop out.. such as the fully 7 layer bound sides that consist of flamed Koa, abalone, and other exotic star dust
It came with Schertler tuners that I replaced with Robson Tuners from the UK. It's fretted with EVO wire, which I believe to be the best frets available today.

What it is NOT:
I'll start off expressing what this guitar is not... I'm not sure I'd call it faults or cons.... just what I've found it doesn't do, and I'm sure with being a single O it wasn't built to dance in this arena. I wouldn't use this guitar for a bluegrass (or any I guess) ensemble as it doesn't like to compete with other entities, especially with high transients (think mando, percussive stuff etc). Folk and or and kind of singing needs to be done judiciously, especially where strumming is involved. This guitar will strum, but not with reckless abandon, as we might do with a dread et al.

What it IS:
Now the fun part... what it does well. Where to start, as just the word "well" here is honestly not strong enough. Shines, in stellar form, shockingly surprising, forgiving, inspiring, enticing, inviting, transparent, are some appropriate adjectives. First and foremost this is a finger style guitar. The pure weight of it's tone is nothing short of amazing. Let's remember this is a Single "0" sized guitar, and every previous single 0 experience I've had reinforced the notion that a Single 0 would never be in my stable... (here is where the saying "never say never" is apropos) ...and what you get when you first experience playing this instrument, is the perception of a much larger instrument. So large that the symphony of deeply moving, yet still balanced overtones surrounding the sweet fundamental, is a feast for the ears, but when you look in the mirror, it's disconcerting. Think of a dwarf speaking like James Earle Jones. Honestly amazing. I've been playing guitar for 48 years, and have had many guitars pass through me. This is one of two that I would consider "once in a lifetime guitars". This instrument evokes an emotional response. Believe me when I say there's not a lot of that running around!

Synopsis:
I really wanted this to be as honest as possible, and not driven by the sacrifice it took to get this guitar. For me, it wasn't cheap (north of $12k), and many times our minds can play tricks on us.. as it cost XXX amount, and the sacrifice to get there was so great...it has to sound great. So I let enough time go by for the financial dilution to absorb this ideology... Honestly I can't imagine ever being with out it, but if anyone ever sees this guitar for sale, please remind me of this review and hopefully I'll be roped back from a very bad mistake.
If you are ever in the Woodstock NY area, I invite to to experience this guitar. It's really fun and interesting watching someone play this, and their initial reaction to it.

I will be doing a record of fingerstyle compositions played on this guitar, and will follow up on this post with some snipits from that

Warm Regards,
Mick

Well Played In!

Last edited by adlerburg; 08-30-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more thoughts added.. more to come?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Beautiful! Bruce's work is top notch. I played one at Gruhn last year and fell in love immediately. Congratulations!

Brad
Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

What a great review - having spent some time with Bruce recently, I can certainly understand some of your comments. He exceeds the skills of many of the most talented luthiers, crossing the line into true artist. And as an artist, he has strong opinions about building, tone, and playability - and he's almost always right on the money - I haven't found him to be wrong yet, but I'm sure there have been a few times.

But that is a beautiful guitar, and I love the fact it gets lots of serious playing - that top is wonderful - but any particular reason you're riding bareback? Bruce makes some unique but entirely appropriate guards. Not being a closet princess greatly adds to its appeal -

And you may not get a chance to be reminded of this review, 'cause if you ever put it up for sale, it may go real fast -

PS - looking forward to the album!!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
....... but any particular reason you're riding bareback? Bruce makes some unique but entirely appropriate guards. Not being a closet princess greatly adds to its appeal -
Thanks for the kind words. This is how it came from Bruce. If I ever have him 'freshen' up the top, I'll have him put t small transparent guard. I found the screen saver from a smart phone works very well, and can be removed any time with no sticky crap.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

The thing about pick guards is they go on SO much better before the surface gets all bumpy!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Great review, a nice looking instrument.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM

I have only played two Sexauer BRW guitars in my life (dread and OM) and both were excellent instruments. Up there with some of my favorite luthiers. At this time, I personally have nearly every size guitar except an "O". Yours sounds like it's right up my alley.

Congratulations! I hope you keep her for the rest of your life. Looking forward to some samples in the future.

Bill
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wonderful review. Are the tuners pictured the new ones or old ones?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Wonderful review. Are the tuners pictured the new ones or old ones?
Hi.. Thanks for the reply.
The tuners in the top pictures are the original ones... The Schertlers that are "designed" in Switzerland.. When advertised like that, it always gets me wondering where they were made... Asia is my assumption (and not Japan). The Tuners on the bottom are the Robson Tuners that in my opinion are some of the finest tuners. They are not the easiest to get. They are designed and made in the UK. Some folks have complained about Robson's business practices/ethics... but I've not had a negative experience with them.
Mick
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Mick has mentioned to me that a number of people have contacted him re this (stellar!!!!) review expressing an interest in the guitar. Since you are unlikely to pry it out of his hands in the near future, I would like to mention that IMO it is not an outlier in my body of work, though it is an excellent example. I do have 3 of my 0's in inventory at the moment, 2 are directly related to Mick's example.

One is the next FT-0-JB-2 I made, in Amazon/German, and while it has a slightly different character, it is no less stunning in performance. Here is its page in my site, #2320613.

The other similar guitar, also an FT-0-JB/2, is made from Black Limba with an Engelmann top. Its character is more Mahogany than rosewood (like the others), but I am as happy with it as any of my recent work. It is significantly less expensive. Here is a link to its page, #2370414.

The third 0 I have is not new, as these others are, but it is in nearly perfect condition none the less. It is made from Big Leaf Maple with a Sinker Redwood top. It does not have the MultiScale featured in the JB/2 designation, so it is simply an FT-0. Here is its page on my site, #1790509.

Sorry for a sales intrusion, but I simply MUST sell some of many great guitars I am tripping over here in my shop!

Back to your regular programing.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

I addressed the PG issue today on the Amazon/German version of Mick's guitar that I had kicking around here in the shop. What do you think?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Well done. I'd like mine to have that. Can you smooth my top out and apply that awesome PG? If so, I'll make arrangements to ship.
Thanks
Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I addressed the PG issue today on the Amazon/German
version of Mick's guitar that I had kicking around here in the shop. What do you think?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickguard

Clear would have been really nice. I like the top and way the rosette floats in space without the dark pickguard grabbing attention. Each to his/her own.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM

I kinda prefer it sans-guard... Or clear I suppose. The triple ring rosette impresses me more without it. Then again, when it goes to pending then the buyer knows best

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop