The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Talking Is Red-Eye all about the headroom?

Moved past a simple DI in my "tone quest" the better part of a year ago, seeking to tweak my JJB SBTs with the Archangel X7 preamp (based mostly on the JJB recommendation). I didn't want to jump from options of "notch on/off" on my old Whirlwind to sorting through all the dialing in sound on something like the Para DI.

Well, never could beat the mid-heaviness with the X7, at least on either dreadnought I've played; either it has a dark tone, or it just made the dreads' lower end more present than I'd ever want.

Well, the heavens parted a couple days ago when I got a Red-Eye to try out from Shoreline. Sounded fantastic through my Ultrasound practice amp; no biggie - easy to get good acoustic tone out of a decent acoustic amp, right? So I withheld my judgment until playing through the church PA on Sunday.

Verdict? Turns out that, at least for my current guitar, that treble boost is all I need to lose the mud, even flatlining eq at the house mixing board. I won't call it "my guitar, only louder," but I will at least say it makes my guitar sound worth the money it cost.

No mute switch per se, but a stomp tuner in the effects loop covers that job, AND it's got a boost switch for when I'm switching from rhythm to fingerpicking. I'm sold.

But back to A/B-ing the Red-Eye and X7: what's the difference? Both companies focus on high-end parts and simple construction, they even have the same input impedance. Both run phantom, except that the Archangel uses 18v battery backup to Fire-Eye's 9v. But the Red-Eye seems to be the one with more juice.

All I know is I'm naive enough to say the Quest for Tone DONE here (for now).

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

....pretty much my experience as well...i've had lots of preamps...Raven Labs...D-Tar... Fishman...Baggs...others...at the end of the day that one little knob does all l need it do because theres always tone control on the system i'm playing through be it a small acoustic amp or a huge festival sound system...for me using the treble control is more about removing sizzle and getting the warm woody tone i like...the boost is very handy when playing in an ensemble....love its size...i do wish it had a 1/4" out as well as the xlr out ...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Use the effects loop out as the 1/4" out. The xlr remains live.

This is the best di for acoustic instruments I have found. I prefer the simple eq over the multi band eq's I have - and it fits in my guitar case. Just great.

Best…H
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Linderman View Post
Use the effects loop out as the 1/4" out. The xlr remains live.

This is the best di for acoustic instruments I have found. I prefer the simple eq over the multi band eq's I have - and it fits in my guitar case. Just great.

Best…H
...thanks for the tip...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm so glad you started this thread, because I just ordered one today. I had Dazzo pickups installed this week but no easy way to add gain into a PA. Teddy is high on this DI but his was at home so I did not hear it. I've been very skeptical as I've seen all the acoustic pres with all the fancy knobs, but then I had an epiphany. In my hi fi obsession side of life, I've taken great pains to eliminate any circuitry between my turntable and speakers. The mantra is if you start with a good sounding source, don't mess with it, send it through simple HIGH QUALITY circuits. If you need tone controls, you are correcting things wrong at the source.

So I'm playing with a bunch of devices I've accumulated over the years, tweaking this or that and having a hard time dialing in a sound when I plugged directly into my MOTU recording interface. THAT was the sound I was after! The guitar output nothing in the way tone. Since my guitar is a hog 00, I don't think I'll need to tame the low end. Time will tell.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'm so glad you started this thread, because I just ordered one today. I had Dazzo pickups installed this week but no easy way to add gain into a PA. Teddy is high on this DI but his was at home so I did not hear it. I've been very skeptical as I've seen all the acoustic pres with all the fancy knobs, but then I had an epiphany. In my hi fi obsession side of life, I've taken great pains to eliminate any circuitry between my turntable and speakers. The mantra is if you start with a good sounding source, don't mess with it, send it through simple HIGH QUALITY circuits. If you need tone controls, you are correcting things wrong at the source.

So I'm playing with a bunch of devices I've accumulated over the years, tweaking this or that and having a hard time dialing in a sound when I plugged directly into my MOTU recording interface. THAT was the sound I was after! The guitar output nothing in the way tone. Since my guitar is a hog 00, I don't think I'll need to tame the low end. Time will tell.
Comparing a well mixed and mastered source (e.g., an LP spun on a turntable) to a pickup in an acoustic guitar (one component of many put together to reproduce certain music genres, by a certain player, in a certain ensemble, in a certain room) is an apples and orange comparison.

Sure, it would be wonderful if your pickup, in your guitar, for all of your musical styles, in every venue, in every ensemble you may play in, would work just fine without any need for equalization. But that's not reality. And even if the above were true for you (or me), it wouldn't necessarily be true for anyone else.

Reality dictates that the pickup will likely need eq adjustments depending on those factors. Having adequate eq available is the primary tool for making appropriate adjustments.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

And yet several of the above say they are getting along fine with one EQ knob.

You are correct in the flawed analogy.

If it doesn't work, there's the effects loop and a channel strip on the board.

My point is more is not always better

Good transformers aren't cheap. Red Eye seems to have a good one.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 AM

I use a Red-Eye with my K&k'ed Taylor into the house PA. When I go out front to check the sound I feel it could not get enough better to justify throwing any more $$ out there in a "tone quest". I am satisfied.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I use a Red-Eye with my K&k'ed Taylor into the house PA. When I go out front to check the sound I feel it could not get enough better to justify throwing any more $$ out there in a "tone quest". I am satisfied.
Al,
I am completely with you on this. I get tons of unsolicted compliments on my K&K - RedEye - SA220. I have seen no need to go any further.

Steve
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Al,
I am completely with you on this. I get tons of unsolicted compliments on my K&K - RedEye - SA220. I have seen no need to go any further.

Steve
Well now that we have that settled let's play some guitar!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Artley flute
Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Eric Skye

Still diggin' the Dee Eye. It's always in my guitar case. Definitely takes the K&K to another level.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Still diggin' the Dee Eye. It's always in my guitar case. Definitely takes the K&K to another level.

Knowing I'm about to add a volume pedal to my board (mainly for swells), I'm still considering this option, as it could negate the need for a boost button, and - let's face it - the treble boost is nice but not essential.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Wow, this is an interesting gizmo. It seems like it was designed to keep you from screwing up your sound. At first glance, I admit I was taken aback at the no frills aspect, but plugged into my recording interface, the red eye sounds clean and smooth across the frequency spectrum. I'm taking it to an open mic this week, so I'll see how it works there.

The treble knob won't get you into too much trouble, as the gain isn't that much. The only thing I can think of is perhaps having some parametric EQ available, but don't know if anyone makes one in stomp box form. Anyone using it ever feel the need?

I guess I'm feeling lack of knob anxiety.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
If ya got knobs yer bound to turn 'em. I am especially in awe of how some people "pre-screwup" their FOH sound by fooling with the PA graphic equalizer before they even turn it on.

I think the whole point of the Red-Eye is your guitar's frequency range makes it through unaltered. You can then boost and cut at the PA if needed. I always start with flat EQ.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Artley flute
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, this is an interesting gizmo. It seems like it was designed to keep you from screwing up your sound. At first glance, I admit I was taken aback at the no frills aspect, but plugged into my recording interface, the red eye sounds clean and smooth across the frequency spectrum. I'm taking it to an open mic this week, so I'll see how it works there.

The treble knob won't get you into too much trouble, as the gain isn't that much. The only thing I can think of is perhaps having some parametric EQ available, but don't know if anyone makes one in stomp box form. Anyone using it ever feel the need?

There are a few I'm aware of, Empress ParaEQ, Carl Martin, VFE (they make lots of cool pedals), and I think WMD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification