The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Polytune popping noise solved

I am posting this problem and solution in case you run into the same thing.

Problem:
My Polytune pedal, which uses true bypass, would make a horrendous popping noise through most PAs when toggling the footswitch. Sounded similar to unplugging a guitar on an unmuted channel.

Solution:
Put the Polytune in the effect loop of the RedEye preamp I am using. Previously, I was running the tuner in line with the RedEye. (It did not matter whether the tuner or RedEye was first in line, the popping sound happened)

This may be common knowledge but I was unable to find the solution on the forum or with guitar store sales people and just took to experimenting.

Tim
Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Default Polytune popping noise solved

I read in the manual to Radial's Vienna Chorus that this is an unfortunate side effect of true bypass switches and circuitry. I also have the Polytune and wouldn't be without it - but I've learned to switch off distortion pedals etc that come after the tuner in the chain as something always seems to get through.

Some pedals offer a choice between true bypass and buffered options. My Flashback x4 is set to buffered mode as I want the fx to decay away naturally and not suddenly when I switch the delay off, this isn't an option with true bypass.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-23-2014, 10:46 AM

My true bypass pedals have a 1Mohm pulldown resistor across the input jack to fight that. The pop comes from the capacitors in the circuit sending a voltage spike into the signal chain. The resistor bleeds the caps down to no voltage, making the switch nearly silent. Your pedal may not have one, or it's loose or has a bad solder joint.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 PM

I had observed this problem since I've been using the Polytune through the Tuner Out of my previous preamp, but I'd just subscribed it to likely poor insulation/isolation in the pieced-together PA components, including the monitor physically next to my stompboxes, in my regular weekend venue.

Just switched to using the RedEye this past weekend - nice to know that problem may keep its ugly head out of view from now on!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Pieter and ClintJ,
Thanks for the input. You taught me something new. I wonder whether the RedEye effect loop has a buffer or pull down resistor.

McSheppard,
Hope this works for you. I'm curious to know whether you have the same result. Let us know!

Tim
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Yep, got in tons of soundcheck and onstage rehearsal today - in the RedEye effects loop, the PolyTune 2 (and all the other pedals) switch silently in the monitors. Nice!

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Great! Thanks for letting us know.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:37 AM

posts like this make me love this forum. I was thinking of getting a polytune for a pure acoustic guitar pedal board I'm building. And now I can work around the true bypass switch issue. I want a volume pedal, tuner, (2) Express PARA EQs, compressor, tap tempo delay, and reverb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification