The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Default Order of layers

Hello all! I am planning to create our second CD, this time using the Auria iPad app and an Apogee One rather than renting a studio. Our workflow will be completely different given that the interface only has one mic preamp and one 1/4" input. Lots of layering. To that end I've been working out the logistics and here's what I've come up with. Having not done it this way before I'd love your opinions...

1) Practice all of the tunes very carefully with the core band (6 members) and make note of all the "parts".
2) In my untreated bedroom, using a click track, record scratch tracks using my guitar's 1/4" and a vocal mic.
3) Set up a semi-circle of six self-standing 4'x2'x2" acoustic deadening panels in a quiet but otherwise untreated basement room - this would be our "studio" (carpet, acoustic tiled drop ceiling, brick walls, 20 ft x 15 ft.)
4) Record the rhythm guitar using a Miktek PM5 ($600 cardioid condenser) and remove the old scratch version.
5) Record my vocals using a Shure SM7B ($350 cardioid dynamic) and remove the old scratch version.
6) Record cajon, conga, snare, bass drum and other percussion one at a time using a combination of the PM5 and SM7B.
7) Record electric bass using the 1/4" interface input.
8 ) Record two back up singers one at a time using PM5.
9) Record mandolin, lead acoustic guitar, and banjo using the PM5.
10) Set up "fix it" sessions so that anyone not liking their effort can re-record.
11) Send Pro Tools export from Auria to violin player living in a different city to help him record his part in his professional studio.
12) Incorporate returned violin part.
13) Mix everything on Auria.
14) Send WAV files to mastering studio.
15) Send mastered WAV files to CD Baby.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM

What is your mixing room set up like? Good monitors and acoustic treatment?

You won't be doing any 'layering' - that's really a term from the days when you only had a few tracks to work with, and had to bounce/layer multiple instruments to a single (or stereo) track in order to free up more tracks for recording.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM

I'll be using closed back headphones during recording and $500 open back headphones during mixing. That'll have to do.

Sorry about the misuse of the term layering.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, I'd do things in another order myself. The initial looks good: click track followed by scratch guitar and vocal. Be sure to record the click if the DAW doesn't generate it. From there, I'd add the rhythm section, drums first on as many tracks as you can spare, then percussion. Then add bass. Replace the guitar and add other rhythm instruments.

The final thing to do is add the lead breaks and vocals. Why? Lead players and vocalistas often want as much of the ensemble intact to interact with and work off of. During this period you can also float out the mix for the violinista to play to and then suck her parts back in when they arrive.

If they can't get it together, you might consider recording the two background vocalistas at the same time with different mics. They may need to cue off each other, especially the person singing the inner harmony. That's the hardest singing part.

Mix, etc.

Have fun. Lots of pix.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks, Bob! This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. So with your suggestions my list is slightly changed...

1) Practice all of the tunes very carefully with the core band (6 members) and make note of all the "parts".
2) In my untreated bedroom, using a click track, record scratch tracks using my guitar's 1/4" and a vocal mic.
3) Set up a semi-circle of six self-standing 4'x2'x2" acoustic deadening panels in a quiet but otherwise untreated basement room - this would be our "studio" (carpet, acoustic tiled drop ceiling, brick walls, 20 ft x 15 ft.)
4) Record the rhythm guitar using a Miktek PM5 ($600 cardioid condenser) and remove the old scratch version.
5) Record cajon, conga, snare, bass drum and other percussion one at a time using a combination of the PM5 and SM7B.
6) Record electric bass using the 1/4" interface input.
7) Record mandolin, lead acoustic guitar, and banjo using the PM5.
8 ) Re-Record my vocals using a Shure SM7B ($350 cardioid dynamic) and remove the old scratch version.
9) Record two back up singers one at a time using PM5 (or maybe find a way to record both gals at once??).
10) Set up "fix it" sessions so that anyone not liking their effort can re-record.
11) Send Pro Tools export from Auria to violin player living in a different city to help him record his part in his professional studio.
12) Incorporate returned violin part.
13) Mix everything on Auria.
14) Send WAV files to mastering studio.
15) Send mastered WAV files to CD Baby.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-02-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Sounds good!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:45 PM

When you say "Record cajon, conga, snare, bass drum and other percussion one at a time" does that mean you're recording drums as a kit? I have found it awfully hard to record individual live drums in separate takes as, the feel or groove just isn't there as it would be when a human was playing a drum kit. What works for me, and I hate to admit it, is using a drum machine (old Alesis SR-16) midi slaved to the recorder's tempo and click. I only use the drum machine for the kick drum and I record the real snare and toms simultaneously afterward. The cymbals can be done each on their own take. As opposed to a real click, I find eighth notes with a shaker type percussion from the Alesis helps me to keep a feel or groove. The shaker part never ends up on the finished recording, just to keep the tempo during takes.

Edit: I just watched the video from your website. The percussion just might work as you planned. I much enjoyed the music, btw.

Best wishes on your recording endeavors!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

Last edited by DanR; 09-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks, DanR! I'm going to try to work with the limitations I've set for myself, so probably just one mic interface and each percussive item recorded alone. Then another recorded alone, ad-infinitum. Each going to a different track.

Our last stint in a pretty nice studio saw the recording of the percussion in multiple takes (cajon, shaker, clave, etc) to multiple tracks. We don't have a drum "kit" per se.

This time I'm hoping to make use of an African hand-drum enthusiast - thus the conga.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-02-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
We don't have a drum "kit" per se.
The kit thing was really the only issue I had with recording seperate takes. I've tried it and it drives me crazy (the reason I tried it is because I'm not a drummer and I can't play many things at once)!
'18 Martin GP-28E
Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
The kit thing was really the only issue I had with recording seperate takes. I've tried it and it drives me crazy (the reason I tried it is because I'm not a drummer and I can't play many things at once)!
Yeah, drummers are a different breed of human.

BTW, I noticed from where you hail. I was born in Detroit and spent lots of time up in Harbor Beach (in the thumb).
Old 09-03-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
BTW, I noticed from where you hail. I was born in Detroit and spent lots of time up in Harbor Beach (in the thumb).
I was born in Detroit (Providence Hospital). I grew up in St. Clair Shores, a northeastern suburb of Detroit. I moved back to SCS in '02. Back in my younger days, I would go up to Caseville and a friend's parents had a cabin in Bad Axe that we would go to.
'18 Martin GP-28E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD