The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Default Strings

My first classical is a LaPatrie collection, since she has had on daddarios, I see many users use savarez strings
My question is would I hear a big difference on the same guitar

Dave
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 07-19-2016, 07:07 PM

Both manufacturers make a range of different strings. There is some overlap, depending on string model. But, for example, if you are comparing D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46 set with Savarez 540J Alliance HT Classics (which use carbon trebles) you will hear and feel noticeable differences with the Savarez being brighter and having greater sustain. The reverse would be true if you were comparing D'Addario EJ46FF and Savarez Traditional 520R.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM

There are big differences in classical strings. I mostly play steel string, but don't settle for classical strings found in most music stores. Someone who really knows classical guitar will often recommend different strings for bass and treble? Good luck.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

This is so individualized for each guitar, player and playing style (not to mention listener) no one can truly say what result you may get. Try as many different brands and sets as you can find. pick the ones that sound and play best for you. That may turn out to be different strings than anyone here might recommend. Enjoy the journey as you'll get a lot of playing time along the way (smile).

Dave
Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks, the reason I asked is that I do find my sound to be on the quiet side, at present using daddarios ej45, to get some volume I have to pull on the strings.
Was wondering if changing the string would make a difference. Or is it that particular guitar is limited to volume output, saw some other reviewers on Amazon who claimed that guitar to be more on the intermit side.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Thanks, the reason I asked is that I do find my sound to be on the quiet side, at present using daddarios ej45, to get some volume I have to pull on the strings.
Was wondering if changing the string would make a difference. Or is it that particular guitar is limited to volume output, saw some other reviewers on Amazon who claimed that guitar to be more on the intermit side.
if you want volume switch to a higher tension string. If you want bright switch to carbon trebles. Those daddario carbon trebles are pretty good. Basses and trebles are two different things. There is no such thing as a set of 6 matched strings. The sets are really just a suggestion. Pick out the bass set you like and and then work on the trebles. or other way around. otherwise a good classical guitarist could take your guitar with the strings you have and fill a concert hall.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 AM

I don't think that it will make your sound any louder. That's just the volume your guitar gets. If my memory serves me correct, Lapatrie's are soft sounding guitars to begin with. Not that that is a bad thing.

However, maybe if you have strings that sound better loud (I.e. Tone) you'll be more comfortable with your loud sound and therefore you'll play louder more often and like it.

I would have recommended Savarez anyways, but I do find that their overall 'playing hard' factor is better than comparable d'addarios. I use either the 500 corums or 520 pi.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
I use either the 500 corums or 520 pi.
I meant to say 520 R. It looks like th Pi set has wound g, b and e strings. Yikes! I wouldn't put that on my guitar even if someone was threatening that if I didn't they would play classical gas on loop.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Thanks, the reason I asked is that I do find my sound to be on the quiet side, at present using daddarios ej45.....
Try D'Addario EJ46FF, a high tension set with carbon trebles. You will hear a difference.....brighter and more sustain.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:45 AM

brighter yes, but you sure about more sustain? The number one reason I use normal is more sustain. The higher the tension the shorter my neck becomes.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeblues View Post
brighter yes, but you sure about more sustain? The number one reason I use normal is more sustain. The higher the tension the shorter my neck becomes.
On an over built guitar like the OP's, high tension usually works very well. And on every guitar that I've ever compared nylon vs carbon trebles, carbon wins hands down in the sustain department. (as well as a brighter timbre)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
On an over built guitar like the OP's, high tension usually works very well. And on every guitar that I've ever compared nylon vs carbon trebles, carbon wins hands down in the sustain department. (as well as a brighter timbre)
yes carbon, I don't think higher tension strings have more sustain, but less. It gets kind of confusing because for instance the daddario carbons normal are about the same gauge as Saverez blue cards. Maybe I'm wrong. Sustain is important to me and it seems like just physics. Higher tension less sustain. Maybe a scientist will prove me right or wrong or as usual just simply misinformed.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
yes carbon, I don't think higher tension strings have more sustain, but less. It gets kind of confusing because for instance the daddario carbons normal are about the same gauge as Saverez blue cards. Maybe I'm wrong. Sustain is important to me and it seems like just physics. Higher tension less sustain. Maybe a scientist will prove me right or wrong or as usual just simply misinformed.
Carbon trebles are more dense than nylon, so for a given tension and tuned to the same pitch, a carbon string will have a smaller diameter than nylon. In every comparison I've ever done, using the same guitar with high tension carbon strings compared to high tension nylon strings from the same manufacturer (e.g. Alliance vs New Cristal, both high tension trebles from Savarez), the carbon strings always sound brighter and have greater sustain. The former is a judgement call, the latter is easily measured.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Carbon trebles are more dense than nylon, so for a given tension and tuned to the same pitch, a carbon string will have a smaller diameter than nylon. In every comparison I've ever done, using the same guitar with high tension carbon strings compared to high tension nylon strings from the same manufacturer (e.g. Alliance vs New Cristal, both high tension trebles from Savarez), the carbon strings always sound brighter and have greater sustain. The former is a judgement call, the latter is easily measured.
well now that makes sense. Although my head goes the other way. Brightness is easily measured, just listen. Sustain is more subjective, how does it sound? See the difference?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
well now that makes sense. Although my head goes the other way. Brightness is easily measured, just listen. Sustain is more subjective, how does it sound? See the difference?
Carbon strings are a fluorocarbon polymer, and the polymer is more dense than water and sinks which is why it is also used for fishing line. Nylon polymer floats on water. (just a little factoid thrown in for good measure, haha!)

I can measure sustain using the sweep second hand on my wristwatch. (yes, I am that old, haha!) Pretty cut and dried measurement to compare two strings. Hearing/psychoacoustics can be quite different from person to person, which is why I said 'brightness' can be subjective. An accurate frequency analyzer is impartial but not many folks have access to one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical