The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Question How much practice do I need to get to this level?

I have a buddy in mid 50's here who used to play.
Still plays but not regularly.
Never took lesson but he had guitar playing friends whom he learned from.
We sat down on the porch and he played whatever he could remember including For Elise but he hadn't played that for long so struggled in few places.

Guitar is Tanglewood TW###CE through Roland Micro Cube.
I recorded in my phone and uploaded few sections.
He plays lead/notes easily and I'm having trouble switching open chords.
Anywho, how much practice do I need to get to this level and where do you put his guitar skills at?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:36 PM

Have you asked him about his process and to estimate what it took for him to get there?

Last edited by Jusca; 07-08-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 AM

Trying to benchmark yourself against someone else is a pretty futile endeavour. Yes, we all do it, but....
So many factors enter into the equation, one really can't answer the "how long before" question.
Youth plays a big part in it - it all just comes a lot faster. Unfortunately, so does innate ability to understand the language - meaning getting to the point where you just know what fretting produces what notes. Just like learning a foreign language - going from parroting, to understanding and responding, let alone thinking in it.
The only thing for sure is the more you play, the better you get. But you really can't hang a time line on it....
Old 07-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

All pretty easy stuff. If you have average natural ability and average motivation, give yourself until your next birthday.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Can't gauge you by his level of play or, more succinctly, his desire to learn. Your question assumes his desire, ambition, enthusiasm, self-regimentation and self-discipline are the same as yours. That's at the personal level only. Then there's the assumption that his life and yours, revolving around each of you in separate and distinct orbits, provides each of you the same quality time for the foregoing. Then there's the personality traits of mood swings and ability to accept a challenge.

So, considering all that, maybe a year? Possibly two? From a dead start to one year I was playing Classical Gas. That was my mileage marker goal for learning in one year and I got there. Set some goals.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Practice as much as you can, you'll get there ... sooner or later ... but what does it matter?
Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM

Planning your timetable for when you will reach certain levels of play is toxic. So is comparing yourself to others as benchmarks.
Both insure that you will not enjoy what you play today.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
…Anywho, how much practice do I need to get to this level and where do you put his guitar skills at?
Hi M123

You need to break down the different techniques he's playing and see what skills you need to add, and then you need to practice till you are fluent in those skills (which can be applied to any song).

Strumming patterns, picking patterns, parallel thirds/sixths (some people call them double stops), are all pretty intermediate skills. So you need to find people who play the way you want to play and analyze and learn those skills till they are more fluent than those played in your demos.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-10-2016, 11:20 AM

I tell my students...10 minutes a day...every day.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Planning your timetable for when you will reach certain levels of play is toxic. So is comparing yourself to others as benchmarks.
Both insure that you will not enjoy what you play today.
I agree with Howard's comment.

Progression is an individual thing that depends largely upon motivation, the amount of time you devote, any innate musical talent/skill you may have, etc.

And a question I used to ask when I was teaching guitar: Do you want to learn to play some songs or do you want to learn to play guitar which will enable you to play any song you want?

Your friend's skills in the audio? Well, being charitable I'd said intermediate at best.

Last edited by Nailpicker; 07-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 AM

Thanks for comments.
I asked him but he said he learned it when he was young practicing at home or with friends.
I'm asking that because if I can play few songs completely like that, I'll consider myself enough to engage friends at gatherings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFive View Post
I tell my students...10 minutes a day...every day.
That I can do but what to play is another thing.
I'll see how far I go next year.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I will say this again... Music is truly NOT a race or a competition, it is not something that you "get there" and you're finished...

Having fun and enjoying learning and (most of all) PLAYING is paramount; that's the key, the thing that will keep you coming back and learning more and more! Although trite, that old saying is so, SO true with music: It's NOT the Destination, it's the JOURNEY! You can't have a happy ending to an unhappy journey...

Get your friend to show you a few things... and then go and practise them until you've "got it!" and then go back and get something else to work on... check out other folks and what they play, and ask THEM for advice or tips, too, always being mindful that YOU are the rookie here, and THEY are doing you a favor by showing you something to learn... if you are respectful of another player, they will usually show you what they can...

Enjoy the ride! It's a great one... for as long as you want to ride...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I will say this again... Music is truly NOT a race or a competition, it is not something that you "get there" and you're finished...

Having fun and enjoying learning and (most of all) PLAYING is paramount; that's the key, the thing that will keep you coming back and learning more and more! Although trite, that old saying is so, SO true with music: It's NOT the Destination, it's the JOURNEY! You can't have a happy ending to an unhappy journey...

Get your friend to show you a few things... and then go and practise them until you've "got it!" and then go back and get something else to work on... check out other folks and what they play, and ask THEM for advice or tips, too, always being mindful that YOU are the rookie here, and THEY are doing you a favor by showing you something to learn... if you are respectful of another player, they will usually show you what they can...

Enjoy the ride! It's a great one... for as long as you want to ride...
Great general and specific statements IMO
Old 07-11-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Anywho, how much practice do I need to get to this level and where do you put his guitar skills at?
As for the first question, some folks could learn these basic strumming and picking techniques in a matter of months while for others it might take years. As for assessing your friend's guitar skills, that doesn't really matter. Figure out what you want to do. Go listen to all sorts of guitar players and set a goal of working diligently to emulate what they do. Like so many others, I was smitten four decades ago by James Taylor's fingerstyle playing. Got a songbook and began to work, albeit very clumsily, with a teacher towards playing my favorite JT songs. These days with lots of YouTube tutorials, you may be able to pick up on some useful hints/tips/drills/techniques even faster than in the old days. Don't worry too much about others or evaluating the relative speed of your own progress. Just get to it and enjoy the journey.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
...if I can play few songs completely like that, I'll consider myself enough to engage friends at gatherings.
(a) He's not really playing those songs "completely", and (b) without singing, the first two are not good choices. They wouldn't really entertain anyone, unless those listening knew the song(s) well enough to sing along.
He's also losing the beat on all those examples (some worse than others). The third one would just about work as an instrumental (if it was played with fewer mistakes).

I don't mean this as criticism of your friend, who I guess wasn't taking it too seriously, and was trying to remember stuff as he went. (Had he had a little drink, by any chance??) This is just tips about what kinds of things to practise.
What makes a big difference (for entertaining friends, or anyone for that matter) is whether you can sing or not. If you can, you don't need great guitar skills - although you do need to be able to keep a beat! If you're not singing, your guitar needs to be entertaining enough on its own. That's more of a challenge.
Quote:
... what to play is another thing.
How about learning the kinds of songs your friends like?
In fact, better still, learn some songs that you like. (That way you find out who your friends really are... )

In general, I also agree with the others about comparing yourself to people (don't) and having long term goals (don't). Play what you like - as much and as often as you like.

Last edited by JonPR; 07-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write