The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-07-2016, 12:18 PM

Unhappy Barre chords never used to hurt....why now??

To clarify, I have been jamming on acoustic for about 10 years now and I consider myself to be fairly adept. I play a lot of Chet Atkins' jazz stuff. Anyway, as is usual, when I first started playing it hurt the muscle between my thumb and pointer finger when I played barre chords. After a year or so that went away as you would expect. Well all of a sudden, after a decade of playing, that pain is back and worse! It makes no sense. It doesn't happen right away, but after a song or so it gets pretty bad. Anyone have any ideas as to why or solutions? Thank you
Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Perhaps a bit of arthritis, I just turned 63 and it is something I just have to deal with.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 PM

It could be many things. Repetitive strain injury can build up over time and then seem to happen all at once. I have been having some issues in my fretting hand on the pinkie side and have had to take long breaks from playing the past few months (in fact, I just started tentatively testing it again after 5 weeks off and it is still quite tender). I just went for x-rays and ultrasound to see if they can pinpoint the issue so I can get better treatment.

My suggestion is to get someone knowledgeable to look at it. Internet diagnosis will help, but you won't get a 100% diagnosis here.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM

didn't get a new guitar with wider string spacing/neck did ya?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Actually yes

I did switch over to a Taylor 710ce which has wider string spacing than what I was normally used to, though it's actually easier to play and I'm using lights on it. I doubt it's arthritis though, I'm 18 years old.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noooooooooooooo View Post
I did switch over to a Taylor 710ce which has wider string spacing than what I was normally used to, though it's actually easier to play and I'm using lights on it. I doubt it's arthritis though, I'm 18 years old.
Hi Nooo-etc…

You could just be overpressing the barre. Or you may benefit from elevating the headstock some to make the angle more ergonomic (with a strap it's easy).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Anyway, as is usual, when I first started playing it hurt the muscle between my thumb and pointer finger when I played barre chords.
That's not usual at all, IMO, even for a beginner. It suggests you were (are?) using a poor hand position, and/or were simply practising or holding barres for too long. (Of course, you were 8 when you began, and if it was a full-size guitar that might explain it - maybe because your hand was too small, you adopted a bad technique?)
Quote:
After a year or so that went away as you would expect. Well all of a sudden, after a decade of playing, that pain is back and worse! It makes no sense. It doesn't happen right away, but after a song or so it gets pretty bad. Anyone have any ideas as to why or solutions? Thank you
It may be the different guitar, but more likely it's your hand position, or a combination or wrist and arm angle and guitar position.
But also - as lj says - you may be using too much pressure. Support the squeeze with a slight pull-back on the neck, so there's less pressure on the thumb. (Some say there should be no pressure at all from the thumb, that it's all in the pull back, but IMO it's a balance. A barre should need very little pressure if your guitar is well set-up and your position is good.)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Rotate heat and ice...20 min on...20 min off...and take 800 mg of Advil... three times a day for a week.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

TAKE YOUR GUITAR FOR A SET-UP!

As silly as it might seem (especially with a 'new' guitar), I've now had 2 setups done to my 'new' Taylors, both of which seemed to play just fine. However, upon getting them back, I've been amazed at the difference...
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 06-17-2016, 09:05 AM

One thing that wasn't said that really makes a big difference is stretching. As one ages Stretching is needed and will prevent a lot of issues with muscle pull and or sprains. Just about 15 minutes a day to stretch you arms and hands is a ll that is needed at times.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To clarify, I have been jamming on acoustic for about 10 years now and I consider myself to be fairly adept. I play a lot of Chet Atkins' jazz stuff. Anyway, as is usual, when I first started playing it hurt the muscle between my thumb and pointer finger when I played barre chords. After a year or so that went away as you would expect. Well all of a sudden, after a decade of playing, that pain is back and worse! It makes no sense. It doesn't happen right away, but after a song or so it gets pretty bad. Anyone have any ideas as to why or solutions? Thank you
Never had pain between thumb and pointer finger when doing barres, even when just starting out way back when. Maybe as you are getting older something in your technique is catching up to you.

Also: recent new guitar, or new action setup, or new string gauge, or some particular new song you are working on?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Perhaps a bit of arthritis, I just turned 63 and it is something I just have to deal with.
10-4 on likely arthritis...you can get an easy Xray which will easily show up the arthritis if there.
Good luck on finding a "cure".

I just hit 73 and have to do most of my guitar work now in nylon...much easier and for sure better than not playing at all

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 PM

I would suggest drop 2 and drop 3 chord approaches, especially if you are doing the Chet Atkins type of jazz / country style.
Using drop 2/3 technigue really minimizes the strain on the hand and eliminates duplication of the same note when you play a chord.
It also gives you the full harmonic tone of the chord(s) you are playing
Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Depending on the guitar the Taylor replaced, it could be the relative thin depth of the Taylor neck. I eventually got rid of a 2012 Martin om-21 because the neck was too thin in depth (performance artist taper), and after a few minutes of playing my fretting hand became sore. This problem was exacerbated by the fact that I had started to play a guitar with a much beefier neck whose dimensions I really liked...so I let the 21 go.

I notice a similar pain to a much lesser degree when playing certain v neck guitars owned by friends. I have been able to eradicate that pain by changing hand positioning and not gripping the neck very tightly.

You might be able to consult a sports medicine or Physical Therapy person, or someone who has specific knowledge of the ergonomics of playing guitar, who may have some good tips.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:04 AM

Well, I hate to say, but just because of age you can still have arthritis. My dx was at thirteen, sorry. Soft tissue and joint pain needs to be looked at and rested, that's it. Just be caeful that permanent damage is not done, seriously - at any age, your hands are delicate instruments in their own right.
I couldn not barre chords until I broke my left hand!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
bar, barre chords, chords, pain, steel