The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Pick creep?

Okay, I'm not talking about the annoying guy at Guitar Center...

I have developed an extremely annoying habit these days and I don't know how to stop it. Any advice would be welcomed.

I tend to hold the pick somewhat lightly when I play because I like the tone it gives versus playing with the pick held firmly between the thumb and finger. This has never before been a problem, but now I am finding that every time I play the pick quickly shifts between my fingers until the flat part of the pick is what I'm using instead of the point. I have to try and shift it back during strumming which is a tough chore. So, any ideas why this just started happening? Any ideas on how to fix it?

BTW, I am using the Weegan Bluegrass pick which has holes in in for grip but it does it anyway.

Todd
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM

For rhythm I use the orange Brain pick. No slippage. For lead work, I either use the big red Jazz III or a Golden Gate mando pick. The GG pick is rounded on the edges, of course, but somehow I've succeeded in keeping a grip on it.

Some teachers will encourage a lighter touch on the pick but I'm not one of those who adher to that style. Playing bluegrass, I have to hammer down pretty hard just to be heard whilst standing next to the banjo player.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM

have you tried using a thinner pick? that way you can hold it tighter but still get that "brushing" sound you would by holding such a thick pick more loosely... not sure if that's what you're referring to?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Haha, I have experienced this myself, and last year it just about drove me batty.

About 6 months ago I purchased a Blue Chip pick, mostly because I'd heard they were a bit tacky, and would stick to my fingers.

Unfortunately, even the Blue Chip, with its bevel, would creep around while hard strumming.

I finally ordered a Blue Chip with NO bevel, and not only do I like the sound of the pick better, but it no longer shifts while playing and I have yet to drop one while strumming -- something I used to do all the time on faster Bluegrass pieces.

It sucks that they cost so much, but for me it's a no brainer -- it's worth $35 for me to NOT drop my pick or even have to think about it while playing. It now feels like an extension of my fingers.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM

I also use the Wegan bluegrass pick but I choose to use the rounded edge and not the pointed. No problems as a rule.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM

IMHO, it's not the pick, it's your grip. You can adjust how much thumb / index finger are in contact with the pick, the amount of overhang, or you can grip it tighter. There are more and less grippy picks out there but usually I choose a pick for tone.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Hold it tighter and angle the tip so its not at 90 degrees to the string.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Use this !-http://gorillasnotusa.com/gorilla-sn...tar-pick-grip/
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Hold it tighter and angle the tip so its not at 90 degrees to the string.
Yep, a loose grip also allows more pick/string noise, and doesn't allow as much control. Tighten up a little.................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Have you tried a rounded triangle pick?

I struggle with a similar issue and I have found that with a rounded triangle I have more contact points and they are easier (for me) to hold on to.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Try our foam gripped guitar picks. The best non-slip guitar picks on the market! Ask for a sample or head to our website. Use coupon AGF for 10% off.

Happy strumming

GuitarMoose

Play Long. Play Strong. GuitarMoose.com

Last edited by Guitar Moose; 11-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Smile

It is occurring because you have changed the pinch pressure of your fingers on the pick because you like the different sound it can produce...a lighter sound...and more smooth feathery sound, with the feel of air as the pick glides more freely across the strings. This is common and often occurs when the person had decided to experiment with the feel of the pick. A medium to heavy gauge pick will will require more pinch pressure because it is both thicker, and heavier, causing it to slowly erode from its position in your fingers, till eventually, it feels like you are about to drop the pick altogether. Increase your pick pressure slightly while maintaining control of the pick......if you are using a light gauge pick and this condition occurs, then you are still not using enough pick pressure to maintain its position as you strike the strings. The pinch pressure required for various gauges of picks changes ever so slightly as you go up, or down, in thickness, and pick creep can often be prevented by simply realizing, and being aware of this. You may also try textured picks, however, the proper pinch pressure will usually solve this issue on almost any brand pick, simply by remaining aware of it when it occurs. Good luck!

Last edited by GuitarLight; 11-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Guest 429

Try a Herco Flex 75. Doc Watson and Jimmie Page used 'em.

Neil Young, Pete Townsend...Herco Flex 50...

Last edited by Guest 429; 11-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar moose View Post
try our foam gripped guitar picks. The best non-slip guitar picks on the market! Ask for a sample or head to our website. Use coupon agf for 10% off.
^^^^^this^^^^^
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Guest 429

Technique:

Pick point towards headstock a bit.

How much do you play from the wrist? Too little wrist angle with continued picking and/or strumming can over time start turning your pick around...

Yeah somebody like Doc Watson "played from the arm" a bit...but there's a limit to that for most of us...especially when the right forearm is tight or at an unfavorable angle to the guitar top. Experiment a bit with wrist angle BEFORE simply tightening up.

You do NOT need a particularly tight grip when you've got the right wrist angle. "Right" BTW is what's optimum for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion