The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Need some advice on picking technique.

I have always been a flat pick player but a few years ago felt the need to play finger style. I adapted to the thumb pick pretty quick and enjoy playing this way. I also have been working on hybrid picking as well.

I am trying to decide if I should keep on practicing all three or should I zero in on one style and let the others slide? What are your opinions on this matter?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

I've played with a variety of picking techniques over the years, but not all at the same time. I would not see a reason to drop one of these three techniques if you are enjoying these options and are not getting confused as to what you are doing. My view is that these techniques are different enough that this doesn't happen - like playing different instruments - maybe the only exception being if you were to play fingerstyle with and without thumb or finger picks.

However if you are finding you right hand technique (or at least one of them) limiting what you can play, then maybe a good idea to concentrate on it for a while?

Also each technique tends to suit only certain gendres of music and instruments, in the end if you enjoy the variety why not?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 AM

I agree work on both flat picking and finger-picking but what is the advantage to hybrid style if you can both finger-pick and flat pick?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM

I account myself a decent flatpicker and fingerstyle player, but have never been able to master hybrid picking.

It's certainly a useful technique that's widely used.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the replies! I was sort of thinking to keep on going with all three techniques. I wasn't sure if it would be practical, sort of biting off more than I can chew type of thing. I'll keep at it with all three styles.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Keep going. Flatpick. Fingerpick. Hybrid. They're all good for different reasons. Check Tommy Emmanuel for a player who does all three to great success....
Old 07-06-2016, 07:39 PM

That's exactly who I've been watching is Tommy Emanuel. He can use that thumb pick like a flat pick! He will go right into finger style and switch right into flat picking with the thumb pick and it just flows so smoothly. He is an inspiration for sure! I will keep going with it, I can see the benefit in becoming proficient with all three styles.

Today I played a gig and only did flatpicking. It sound pretty good but I wanted to do so much more! When I get the nerve up, I will commit to only using a thumb pick. The key is to just keep n picking and keep on evolving!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I agree work on both flat picking and finger-picking but what is the advantage to hybrid style if you can both finger-pick and flat pick?
Great question! I play a lot of electric country guitar as well as acoustic.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
That's exactly who I've been watching is Tommy Emanuel. He can use that thumb pick like a flat pick! He will go right into finger style and switch right into flat picking with the thumb pick and it just flows so smoothly. He is an inspiration for sure! I will keep going with it, I can see the benefit in becoming proficient with all three styles.

Today I played a gig and only did flatpicking. It sound pretty good but I wanted to do so much more! When I get the nerve up, I will commit to only using a thumb pick. The key is to just keep n picking and keep on evolving!

remember though thumb picks only pick / strum down if want to up pick / strum you need a flat pick
Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Tommy also uses hybrid picking with a flatpick. Also no picks. So he does it all....a great example of the ability to switch between right hand picking styles
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
remember though thumb picks only pick / strum down if want to up pick / strum you need a flat pick
Yes! Sometimes I'll use the thumb pick to pick up and down strokes holding it to my thumb with my index finger. But only on single note runs. Never strumming up and down. If I want to strum while using the thumb pick, Its usually down strokes with the back of the nails.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM

when I pick up with a thumb pick it usually goes out of alignment and spins up to a bad position on my thumb
Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 PM

Smile

I know what you mean Macman, I have to have a firm grip on it with my index finger while keeping a light touch on the strings. You should try it on an electric!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:50 PM

A person who can metabolize and mix multiple patterns in any fingerpicking piece should never consider focusing down to a particular one. That's counter-intuitive to expanding the palette. Just keep on growing. I find bluegrass interesting for the 60 seconds it takes to bore me with its repetition. Same applies to certain Celtic stuff and Irish jigs. I say that from a player's perspective, not a dancer's. A dancer revels in that stuff and that's why it's popular. But it sure can be Chinese water torture playing it for an evening. If the player could take that music to a more interesting level it wouldn't be BG, though.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:00 PM

Hey Pitar, thanks for the reply. I agree with you and will keep on keeping on with all three styles. It does sort of change the frame around the picture so to speak. Keeps things from getting repetitive and stale.

BTW, I like your song. Now to come up with a fitting title!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write