The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I agree. The "Hype" has made the FG180 overpriced for what she is. Do not be fooled by the Chinese FG180. It is a different beast. The one I saw was of poor build quality. It had a 3 piece back. The same with the FG300. It is really the King of lams but they tend to sell for more than I would think fair market would be
That said. Try and find anything that plays like them!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I agree. The "Hype" has made the FG180 overpriced for what she is. Do not be fooled by the Chinese FG180. It is a different beast. The one I saw was of poor build quality. It had a 3 piece back. The same with the FG300. It is really the King of lams but they tend to sell for more than I would think fair market would be
That said. Try and find anything that plays like them!
When you say "Chinese," do you mean the Taiwanese makes, like the one Elliott Smith played? I heard that the Taiwanese ones were actually better than the Japanese ones, and the only thing making the red-label ones more desirable were just that: the labels.

Seems like I see more 180's than I care to. They always sell with the "Red Label/Nippon Gakki" thing, too, which makes me wonder just how good or truthful they are. I also wonder if they found a 340 and stopped loving their 180...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
the Suzukis have been discovered...by me...I have a few of them, some high ends some not, but they all sound great to my ears.

my 1950 Kiso-Suzuki...under $250.00...all solid wood...

Whoa! Now that's sweet. How does she play & sound?

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Snake Joe View Post
When you say "Chinese," do you mean the Taiwanese makes, like the one Elliott Smith played? I heard that the Taiwanese ones were actually better than the Japanese ones, and the only thing making the red-label ones more desirable were just that: the labels.

Seems like I see more 180's than I care to. They always sell with the "Red Label/Nippon Gakki" thing, too, which makes me wonder just how good or truthful they are. I also wonder if they found a 340 and stopped loving their 180...
It was the Black with Gold Label (not the Japan one). I think it said China. I saw it one time 2 years + ago
Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM

I own a FG 340. LOVE IT!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Default I don't know how the Japanese did it, but my guitar sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmanrlk View Post
I just finished playing my FG-75 Yammie. It is an all laminate guitar, but if you heard it you wouldn't know that it wasn't a solid top guitar. I don't know how the Japanese did it, but my guitar sounds awesome. You can get one for about $120 or less on Evilbay.

Yep, they did miracles with plywood...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:09 AM

that Kiso sounds as good as it looks. Has a fairly hard V neck but it`s chunky so more comfy than a hard V on an electric.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 PM

The FG180's are going for higher prices these days because that guitar is really good, and it's the only vintage Yamaha most people have even heard of.

Remember, the sellers can't make the selling prices go up, only the buyers can. I do agree that you can probably find better deals on an FG180 elsewhere if you are patient.

There are apparently more than a few folks who would rather have a pretty neat vintage guitar than buy a new off-the-shelf guitar like everyone else's.

All that said, I am probably going to sell off a few duplicates shortly, probably selling one or two FG550 (12-string version of FG500), an FG630 (12 string version of FG580), and maybe one FG500. (Plus a 60's Fender Jaguar.)

I'll post details and photos in a few weeks.

New Yamaha FGX5 (love it!)
Vintage Yamahas: FG-1500 * FG-2500 * FG-500 (3) * FG-550 (2)
Modified FG-630 (Rickenbacker stringing)
Newish Stratocaster * Rickenbacker 660-12
Gibson EB-0 Bass * Vagabond travel guitar
Yamaha Classical (I forget which!)
Old 07-24-2021, 05:09 PM

So what IS your price range you want to stay within? Any particular body shape/size you prefer?

That would help us vintage Yamaha folks give you an idea of what to look for.

Understand too, that the "good" vintage Yamaha's can be hard to find, as they were never marketed here in the US, just mostly Japan, and a little bit in Europe, and just a tiny few made it here to the US.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM

My first guitar and my first "good" guitar were both Nagoya Suzuki 3S and I still own them but don't really play them any more. As I am mainly a 12-string player I would be very intrigued by a Yamaha FG-2500.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion