The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Keeping dye off of bindings

I’m getting ready to do a dye job where I’ll be spraying TransTint dye dissolved in denatured alcohol.

I’m keen to keep the dye off of the white plastic bindings during multiple dyeing sessions.

I’ve thought of tape, but I’m not convinced that tape will work all that well since the dye is thin and solvent based. Is there “special” tape?

I also considered putting shellac on the binding to protect it, but it seems that the alcohol based dye will at least partially dissolve the shellac making it ineffective. I think I’d then also be left with the task of removing the shellac without disturbing the dye - vicious circle.

Any other ideas or advice?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Not really an answer, just a different approach.

Plastic bindings I dont bother protecting, I leave them alone, do the job then scrape them down after applying the first few clear coats

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 AM

Mirwa's thought I share.

Also, are you spraying the dye just in alcohol - no finish...?? If this is the case, you can use a cotton ball and alcohol to wipe it from the bindings afterward.

Dyeing wood with alcohol borne dye is challenging... Try a test piece first...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 AM

+1 on the scraping. For wood I shellac AND tape the bindings before staining.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:34 AM

I like scraping bindings but when I did a wood binding and water based hand rubbed burst I shellacked AND taped with 3m 471 vinyl tape, 1/4" thick I think. I found it in stock at an auto parts store (O'Reillys). It bends perfectly and can be adjusted at sub mm precision without wrinkling if you want it to. Amazon et al also have it.

Sam
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I’m getting ready to do a dye job where I’ll be spraying TransTint dye dissolved in denatured alcohol.

Any other ideas or advice?
Sometimes it helps to use a thin cut of shellac instead of straight alcohol, sometimes the straight alcohol works better. I presume you're planning on a waterborne top coat. The alcohol based dyes are sometimes affected by lacquer. Definitely test on scrap, both the dye & topcoat.
et al
Old 11-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

In case it’s of interest, I used 3M 24805 tape and had almost no leakage of the dye onto the binding. The few places were it did sneak under could probably have been avoided if I had made sure the edge was pressed down tight. This coat of dye was pretty wet too. The next coat will be much drier, so I’m hoping for completely clean binding afterward.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair