The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Martin D18GE repair

Martin D18GE belonging to a friend of mine was accidentally dropped, needs internal brace re-glued, bridge pulled and re-glued, and neck reset, this according to my local shop. They want $800 and it'll take 3 months...

What's my best course of action here? I need a guitar to play but can only put $400 into a repair at this point.

thanks for any advice!
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM

Sounds like a 450 to 500 repair tops, but without seeing it they may be correct, Try local luthiers in your area you may get one with a better price and turnaround time, I WOULD NOT take to a "music store" as they probably outsource to a local repair luthier and charge on top of the repair pricing....
Old 11-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Get bridge reglued and other structural damage repaired - the reset can wait until you can afford to do the other work. The need for neck resetting isn't often related to the accident, but more of a time/tension/age issue.

Frank Ford
Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickin4fun View Post
Martin D18GE belonging to a friend of mine was accidentally dropped, needs internal brace re-glued, bridge pulled and re-glued, and neck reset, this according to my local shop. They want $800 and it'll take 3 months...

What's my best course of action here? I need a guitar to play but can only put $400 into a repair at this point.

thanks for any advice!
There is a repair process we use to do in the earlier days, that was to remove the back to repair all the loose braces and then when fitting the back on we would slip the neck block into position to reset the neck. This fits easily in the 400 dollar range.

That being said lots of pros and cons for doing things this way, I have not done it that way for at least 7 or 8 years now.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair