The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 AM

It's true that most cellphone videos sound crappy. Better is to use a video camera with decent audio capturing capability like a Zoom, or even the little Sony I have with stereo mics.

HOWEVER (yes, a big 'however'), unless you are talking to a professional music venue, bar/restaurant/function managers are 1) not going to listen to a CD or DVD if you hand it to them; 2) will navigate (on their phone) to the youtube link you send them and listen to 10-15 seconds, unless you can snag them with something - on their phone, so the quality does NOT have to be great, but has to show your typical style and that this was a public place with an audience. If the sound has a ton of audience noise then it shows you were background music (not good). Best thing to do is video as many of your songs as you can in live situations, then edit together pieces of songs showing highlites, and you can always finish the video with the end of a song where the audience claps or hoots and hollers, just in case the person listens to the whole thing (should be under 2 minutes).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM

I send booking people to our iTunes, CD Baby, Band Camp, Amazon sites. But if you don't have that, the easiest thing for them is YouTube.

Create an MP3 file using whatever means you have. The Zoom should work fine. Create a video which consists of one static picture (or several if you like) and have your music play in the background. Load it into YouTube. Voila!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM

I must have missed the part about video. Oh wait ... OP didn't say video. Nor did I suggest he use a smart phone to record. If he can't get good sound recording from his Bose (close mic'd, of course) then what kind of sound IS he putting into the room?

I know guys who can't reproduce in a live setting what they put on their demo CD ... because it was recorded, edited, mixed and mastered. That ain't what the paying customer is gonna hear. Ever.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM

So what if club owners don't care? Good promo material has many uses. Looking professional and up-to-date impresses people in general , And people booking you for a private gig do care what you sound like and how you present yourself. A bride for example, or someone throwing a big party.

Times have changed, expectations are higher. Because virtually everyone can produce decent recordings at home these days, it's come to be expected. No one is going to accuse you of dishonesty if you add some reverb and tweak the tone a little. Everybody’s doing it these days

Take yourself seriously. Be as professional as you can with the resources available. There's no reason not to.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 11-07-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM

One can make it as complicated as one likes. Personally, I always look at ROI (return on investment) ... and it isn't there I don't. Recording what's coming from his Bose (with FX as he would use live, EQ as he would use live, etc), using his H4n's internal mics, should result in a very usable recording for his purposes. He's not trying to land a label.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD