The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Very beautiful guitar! Congrats!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Humanist

Glad to see Tom getting some attention here.

I had a chance to play Tom's #006 build (OM, cutaway, EIR) and it is a marvelous guitar.

A lot of the Somogyi influence is there (built during his work with Ervin), so you get the "grand piano" feeling...and also with pinpoint note-to-note clarity...including a strong focused bass...full & round sounding across the strings, and up & down the fingerboard. Simply perfect string to string balance, as well.

The French Polish finish on this particular guitar is a rather attractive feature (to me, anyway), as I *love* the beautiful old-world "pores exposed" look. I think manufacturing-perfection is good for some folks, and for some guitars (to each their own, correct?)...but *I* happen to love the look when there is a "work of hand" (I think there's a term for this, but I forget these kinds of thing) aspect to the guitar. Simply beautiful.

EDIT: The above is French Polish comments are only about the aesthetics of how the finish is presented, and by no means refers to anything having to do with the hands-on structural & woodworking artistry that appears to be a part of each and every build by Tom.

...but I digress. I think Tom's 006 guitar may yet be "available", if you contact him directly. No affiliation on my part, just a new fan of his work.

Tom is a new bright-light in our world of handcrafted guitars, one that will hopefully shine far and wide, and for decades to come...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-13-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Glad to see Tom getting some attention here.

I had a chance to play Tom's #006 build (OM, cutaway, EIR) and it is a marvelous guitar.

A lot of the Somogyi influence is there (built during his work with Ervin), so you get the "grand piano" feeling...and also with pinpoint note-to-note clarity...including a strong focused bass...full & round sounding across the strings, and up & down the fingerboard. Simply perfect string to string balance, as well.

The French Polish finish on this particular guitar is a rather attractive feature (to me, anyway), as I *love* the beautiful old-world "pores exposed" look. I think manufacturing-perfection is good for some folks, and for some guitars (to each their own, correct?)...but *I* happen to love the look when there is a "work of hand" (I think there's a term for this, but I forget these kinds of thing) aspect to the guitar. Simply beautiful.

EDIT: The above is French Polish comments are only about the aesthetics of how the finish is presented, and by no means refers to anything having to do with the hands-on structural & woodworking artistry that appears to be a part of each and every build by Tom.

...but I digress. I think Tom's 006 guitar may yet be "available", if you contact him directly. No affiliation on my part, just a new fan of his work.

Tom is a new bright-light in our world of handcrafted guitars, one that will hopefully shine far and wide, and for decades to come...
Larry, I have the sister guitar of the Tom Sands OM you mention (build #005) - Engelmann spruce / fiddleback mahogany. It's a fabulous guitar. Martin Simpson stayed with us back in August and he was very impressed with it. Mine is also finished with a French polish finish, which I love, even though it's a much more delicate finish than, say, nitro. Tom borrowed the guitar back off me a while back in September as he wanted to do some recording with it. I'm back up to Sheffield helping Martin Simpson out with his annual workshop this upcoming weekend and Tom will be delivering the guitar back to me. So it will (almost) be another NGD for me at least !

Cheers,

Ian
Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 AM

And here are the fruits of those recording sessions! A really rather lovely set of videos (beautifully shot; lovely audio too) featuring Will McNicholl's delightful playing. Even better in the flesh, of course - but they do give you an great idea of what these guitars are capable of.

http://www.tomsandsguitars.com/media/

Enjoy!

Can't wait for mine! Full build thread (well, threads!) on here of course in due course...
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 AM

I've been admiring Tom's work for a while now. Thanks for posting this thread. I've really liked all the small details that go into his work on what I've seen so far.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Indeed I was at Tom's shop this very day and, IIRC, I saw a video of this very guitar being played by a great musician that Tom hopes to post on his website: It sounded sublime.

You're a very lucky guy, but I guess you know that?

Cheers,
Steve
Here’s the Vimeo link. https://vimeo.com/244234525

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop