The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-30-2015, 03:09 PM

Default NUD - Pono AB

I normally play acoustic guitar, but I got a surprise under the tree this year. I have and have played a standard ukulele for years (Applause), but I have been looking for a smaller travel guitar and casually mentioned to Santa in passing that I was interested in a baritone uke and voila. Santa doesn't play stringed instruments in our house, but she surreptitiously did all the research including uke boards, a few phone calls to local shops and even the island state. Didn't see it coming but am glad I have it.

This uke is nice and has a low D. It's not as plucky as its little cousin and a lot more plucky that my guitars. It's also a lot quieter than the guitars to the point that I don't have to stop playing to have a conversation with someone. I don't know that it's perfect for travel as I would really like those two other strings, but it's making me think about my chords and how I can best represent them with four strings. So the two plusses are that I have more opportunities to play the baritone uke compared to a guitar and it's causing me to think about different ways to create chords which I can take back to my guitar playing.

The construction and look of the uke is great. It may be because I am not familiar with baritone ukes, but it seems that the uke goes a little sharp as I go up the fret board and the B string goes a little flat with heavy playing. I'll have to research to see what to do, but I am suspecting the B string is an easy fix and may just have to stay low on the fret board if nothing else.

Great instrument and I would recommend a Baritone Uke as a great beginner instrument for someone who wants to play guitar but is intimidated by all those strings. Not sure if it can hold up to travel or wear and tear, but I will try it and see how it does. I usually use my CF guitar for any worrisome travel, but this is an interesting direction in a smaller package.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, if Pono's ukes are equal in quality to their guitars, you've got yourself a fine instrument. Enjoy!
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Congrats on the new Pono!

Im wrestling with buying a baritone in mahogany. I feel like it might be a great way to start my daughter off, maybe a little easier than the guitar, easier on the fingers too. I'm always interested in adding something new into the mix.

Thanks for the review!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
....if Pono's ukes are equal in quality to their guitars, you've got yourself a fine instrument....
They are. I have an all-koa Pono eight strike uke - just beautiful. I often recommend uke as starter instruments for kids, and baritones in particular if they plan to move to guitar. You can get a nicer baritone ukulele for less money than any decently playable mini-guitar, and all the skills and most chord shapes translate to six string guitar when they are ready.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin View Post
Congrats on the new Pono!

Im wrestling with buying a baritone in mahogany. I feel like it might be a great way to start my daughter off, maybe a little easier than the guitar, easier on the fingers too. I'm always interested in adding something new into the mix.

Thanks for the review!
I got a mahogany Baby Taylor for my child at age 7 after two years of playing on my soprano ukulele and my mandolin. We've had it for 3 years now and the child still plays it, but has somewhat outgrown it.

For a comparison the Baby Taylor feels tiny compared to a regular guitar and the baritone ukulele feels tiny compared to the Baby Taylor. The mahogany on the Baby Taylor is a deeper red than the acacia on the Pono AB, but it's only noticeable by me if the instruments are side by side. The ukulele of course has a smaller neck than the guitar, but the strings are still further apart than a regular size guitar making it easy for shaping chords.

I am going to try the Pono AB as a travel guitar and may use it as a starter guitar for my youngest child who has only played piano so far. I think it is an excellent introduction to guitar as the strings are the same as a guitar and it's not as hard on the fingers as the Baby Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments