The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM

Apparently the 1/4" direct input on the ID14 is mono, which means only a splitter out of the H4N would work for stereo
Old 12-12-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny72 View Post
This is a very old thread but it was the most relevant thread to my question I could find. I'm also new to this forum.

Is there a way to run my H4N via line out into my DAW using only 1 track? I only want to use the attached stereo mic.

I can record to the SD card (and then put the single stereo file in my DAW (Reaper) on one track but that is a pain. The line out on the H4N is stereo and I am running a stereo cable to my Audient ID14 D.I. 1/4" input. When I route this to my DAW, Reaper wants two inputs to record in stereo. But I want to record the stereo input on only one track so I can use the second input on the ID14 for another mic.

Is there a way to record the stereo signal from the H4N to one track on a DAW?
Thanks!
Try reading the manual.

It can be used as an Audio Interface/SD card reader for
a computer.
An onboard USB 2.0 Hi-Speed jack allows direct connection to a computer. You
can use it as an audio interface with built-in effects (sampling rate 44.1 kHz).

You can also use the H4n as an SD card reader for your computer. You can even
take the recorded files from your computer and create an audio CD using those
files as material in any DAW software.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny72 View Post
This is a very old thread but it was the most relevant thread to my question I could find. I'm also new to this forum.

Is there a way to run my H4N via line out into my DAW using only 1 track? I only want to use the attached stereo mic.

I can record to the SD card (and then put the single stereo file in my DAW (Reaper) on one track but that is a pain. The line out on the H4N is stereo and I am running a stereo cable to my Audient ID14 D.I. 1/4" input. When I route this to my DAW, Reaper wants two inputs to record in stereo. But I want to record the stereo input on only one track so I can use the second input on the ID14 for another mic.

Is there a way to record the stereo signal from the H4N to one track on a DAW?
Thanks!
Probably BUT lets back up a bit.

I get why you want to use the H4 as a mic, only for one channel on the ID14 and then be able to plug another mic into the other channel.....

BUT what are actually trying to do in Reaper ? Do you want use the signal coming off the H4 into Reaper as a stereo signal into one track or as a mono signal into one track ? Or are really simply wanting to have the H4n use only one side of the ID14 ?

(I only tried Reaper on the free trial period a year or two back), so I am a bit rusty BUT
And not sure exactly what you mean by Reaper" wants" two inputs "to record stereo" (there always has to be two inputs to record stereo) regardless of whether it is being going into a single two sided stereo tack or to two mono tracks panned L&R So again are your wanting a single stereo track or a single mono track in Reaper ? In Reaper in the track control box I believe if you right click the the "in" button and you can choose a mono or stereo input ?

Also when you say running a stereo cable from the H4 to the DI input on ID14, I assume you mean a 1/4 " TRS plug going into the DI of the ID14 ?

If it is a TRS plug then yes it appears that the DI input on the ID14 is mono/TS input. And it appears to be an instrument level input, not line level (note the output from the H4N is also Line level , not instrument)

BUT the 1/4 part of the 2 combo Neutrik inputs on the ID14 are TRS and line level, why not plug in the H4 into one of those instead ? And see what pops up on your Reaper I/O matrix .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply Kev... Seagul, reading the manual, maybe you should have read my post. There is always so much attitude on these forums which is why I rarely come here for help. I do not want to use it as an audio interface, and unless you know how to use two audio interfaces on one computer, both going into one DAW, which I do not, this is not helpful.

I tried plugging it in to the 1/4" instrument jack, which was a great idea. I found if I set the input to "force stereo" it will record two signals but I tested it and it is just duplicating a mono signal. The direct in has a much stronger and cleaner signal but it is also coming in as mono when set to force stereo.

I just like the ambient sound of the H4N stereo mic and wanted to test it with some of my other mics. But I think I will need to add more input channels or record straight to the SD card if I am going to use it.

Thanks KevWind. I appreciate the help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD