The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
The inference you are making is that there is no benefit to learning to play without markers other than for the sake of tradition itself. That is very presumptuous.
I've played with folks who, highly dependent on the markers, were thrown off by having to place a capo (in order to be able to play along) above where they had ever used one. I've read posts expressing an inability to play guitars with elaborate fretboard inlay ornamentation. It is preferable not to be dependent on markers but for many players, the consequences of dependency may never occur. If one is happy relying on markers fine but then one shouldn't dispute the benefit of not needing them even they deem it inapplicable to the way they play the guitar.

I mentioned this thread to a casual player who then said: "I depend on the dots and I'm okay with that for what I do but for anyone starting out, I'd say it's not a big deal but they're better off learning not to need them."
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM

Dots or no dots. What a fun debate. With me I find little effort in going from dots to no dots. I really think it depends on how one learns not just to play, but on how one learns a piece.

The bigger question for me is why I have had trouble going from sight-read play to looking at the fretboard on a given piece. Some pieces that I learned by sight-reading actually freak me out if I start looking at the the fretboard. I wonder if anybody else has had this issue. I think in these cases it's because I haven't seen my fingers move for that piece and then when I see them move it freaks me out.

The route to memorization also affects me. If I learn a piece a measure at time from tabs and looking at the fretboard, then when I have that piece memorized, I have to look at the fretboard when I play.

So for me the path to memorization matters in whether I look or don't look at the fretboard.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Dots? We don't need no stinkin' dots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zoj0jzPPjU
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post

when the elephants come out?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
The inference you are making is that there is no benefit to learning to play without markers other than for the sake of tradition itself. That is very presumptuous.
Well, we're on page five of this thread now, and I haven't seen a single argument put forward as to why a guitar with no dots provides any benefit over one with.

I'm sorry for being presumptuous. I'm willing to learn, if only someone would teach me.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
when the elephants come out?
After the clowns.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
The bigger question for me is why I have had trouble going from sight-read play to looking at the fretboard on a given piece. Some pieces that I learned by sight-reading actually freak me out if I start looking at the the fretboard. I wonder if anybody else has had this issue. I think in these cases it's because I haven't seen my fingers move for that piece and then when I see them move it freaks me out.
Oh I've been there. Actually play better when I'm sight reading, at least for classical guitar. Soon as I look at my fingers the playing goes downhill it seems like.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
Well, we're on page five of this thread now, and I haven't seen a single argument put forward as to why a guitar with no dots provides any benefit over one with.

I'm sorry for being presumptuous. I'm willing to learn, if only someone would teach me.
I believe that thinking in terms of benefits is trying to impose a logic that has been absent in the historical development of the classical guitar. Tradition says, no dots. Those who hold with tradition and are intent on doing it the "old way" (which to them is probably the "right way") probably look down on using dots. Others may think that if dots help, why not use them?

Its a matter of preference, I believe, and trying to be logical about personal preferences is, perhaps, not all that logical! :-)

-Bob
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I believe that thinking in terms of benefits is trying to impose a logic that has been absent in the historical development of the classical guitar. Tradition says, no dots. Those who hold with tradition and are intent on doing it the "old way" (which to them is probably the "right way") probably look down on using dots. Others may think that if dots help, why not use them?

Its a matter of preference, I believe, and trying to be logical about personal preferences is, perhaps, not all that logical! :-)

-Bob
Exactly. Well said.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
Here's the answer to your problem: http://rosetteguitarproducts.com/sto...tegory&path=45

I have used them for years, they work great.

Tom C.
I went with these, and they work great. I stuck one at the seventh fret, and it did the trick. Super easy, and it made all the difference during the next gig.

It did eventually rub off, though. That's actually a good thing because it showed me how easily they can come off without any residue. Anyway, I stuck another one on there and was back in business.

They come with a whole bunch in a pack, so I'm set for a while.
Thanks again for the tip!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM

I can't imagine a life without dots. Or lane markers on roads. Or shoes being made left and right. A guitar without dots , to me, would be like a blind person without ....well, dots.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Wow! I never knew dots were such an issue, LOL. In fact I never even knew such dots existed! Never noticed them.

After reading the first two pages of this thread and scanning the rest, I just HAD to go look at my two guitars. On my late-80's Seagull that I acquired only a few weeks ago, there are dots. Okay, so now my curiosity was definitely piqued, so I looked at my Ariana that I've had for 30 years. Guess what... no dots! It's the guitar I used the most in my life, and never had the dots, so I never looked for dots on other acoustics I've played (no idea if there dots on guitars I played before Ariana). They just were never part of my consciousness.

Very interesting.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Smile

No dots on the guitar...it's only fair then to have all white keys on the keyboard.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post

I think she's peeking.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM

I guess it's a little weird. I don't remember having a problem with violin as a kid, but I've always liked the assistance guitar dots have provided me with later in life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical