The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Default Recording on a Samsung Galaxy

I need some tips on how to best record myself, vocal and acoustic, on my Samsung phone. I would like the video if possible but mostly concerned with the sound. I tried it but the volume was way too low for any type of use. The amp was loud enough but the phone didn't pick it up very well. Got ideas. Thanks in advance.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 12-09-2017, 06:06 PM

I would imagine that the name of the game will be placement of the phone/mic and you figuring out how to attenuate either your vocals or your guitar.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 PM

The problem I had was that in order to do the video I have to be sitting in a chair playing and singing. The closest I could get the phone to the speaker of my amp was about three feet. At that distance the recording volume was pretty low.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 AM

The sound of the room is about 90% of it, where you put the phone is the other 10. Thing is, though, you can't tell what you're getting if you play back a recording in the same room you made it in, because you're hearing playback in that same ambience. You need to find a dead space to critique what your room sounds like. For many people, the deadest space they have is their car.

Back to the initial statement, some friends booked a session at Sun in Memphis, a studio with a very distinctive sound. During tracking, one of the wives shot video with her phone. That video sounds really good, and more to the point, it sounds like Sun.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD