The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 06:29 AM

Default Samick acoustic guitar-info

I have recently acquired a samick model SF 35 HS it has rosewood sides and back, tree of life inlay on lower neck,fully bound body,neck and headstock, gold colored turner gears. no sign of serial # anywhere.SAMICK INLAYED IN HEADSTOCK using nice abalone or something similar , wanting to receive any info about manufacturing date value when new, how many years made,# made etc. thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 AM

Easier with pictures.
But Samick makes guitars for NUMEROUS manufacturers.
Check the bottom of the neck block, the back of the head stock.
It's likely stamped then the finish was applied. So it might be hard to see.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Guest316

Oldguy64 is correct. I'll add that Samick makes very high quality "low-end" instruments - for example they make the Epiphone line for Gibson. I worked at a music store in the late 1980s that carried Samick pianos and guitars and I can attest they were very well built, as is my current beater Epi that was built in their Indonesian factory. They did not sell very well because the name is not very recognizable to those outside of the industry, however.

Samick built/builds so many guitars that it would be very difficult to give you any specific info on your instrument, Ben . . .
Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 AM

I have a Samick banjo from late 90s and it also has no SN on it. It is a good quality instrument on par with the Epiphone MB-250 model (both Gibson Mastertone clones) from the same era. Please, no banjo jokes...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 PM

Yep, their Greg Bennett designed guitars (acoustic and electric) in particular are unbelievable guitars at their price point and have won multiple awards.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Sounds like you got one of their nicer ones. More than likely laminate B/S and solid top but can sound great. Laminates done well have their advantages.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Pictures

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...20#post1419420
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 PM

I've heard that Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world. For a while, and still may they made the Made in Japan Stratocasters.

I bought a used Samick strat copy from a pawn shop, had been there for months. Started at $150, then went steadily down until it had a sign that said make offer.

I had them get it down and checked it out. Rear strap button relocated to higher up the body, and "Nancy loves Sid" and the anarchy symbol in pencil on the white single ply pickguard. Dusty, with rusty strings, a fair amount of dirt in the saddles but in otherwise good shape.

I offered the guy $40 and he said SOLD. Should have offered a bit less, as quick as he jumped on it.

Brought it home, cleaned it up (polish and fretboard oil), polished the pickguard and the pencil came off and a new set of strings. Plugged it in and it played and sounded really great. Had a pointy headstock, and I wanted to get a Fender S series type (larger) headstock for it.

Had a search saved on eBay, and every one I saw was legit and the seller wanted at least $200 for it. Wasn't going to put a $200+ neck on a $40 guitar.

So, it sat for about 10 years, and I finally found a guy selling three different Fender large headstock necks, $55 shipped. Bought it now, and when they arrived I noticed on the back Crafted in Indonesia and Backed by Fender. So they were higher end Squier necks. Seller had said he had sprayed black lacquer over the face of the headstock, and mine was poorly done. Overspray and orange peel.

Ended up turning it into this.

Dirty in this pic, and doesn't have the Graph Tech Ghost saddle system and preamp installed yet. And still has the Samick pickups with black covers on them, now has Lace Sensor reds.

I'm pretty happy, and what drew me to the guitar was the transparent red finish with a lot of wood grain showing.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 AM

Default Samick Guitars

Here is a link to the Greg Bennett Acoustic Samick guitars, There is a small shop near here that carries about 10 of the different models. I liked the Worthington series which cost about 299 then, about 5 years ago. Pretty good quality.
http://gregbennettguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/

Snark Tuner
Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Ok, mind if I wake up a two year old thread? Anyway I recently purchased a Samick Artist Series SF-291s 000 acoustic. I love it. Feels like a very high quality guitar. Sounds amazing and is super easy to play. It is beautiful as well.

It is very difficult to find information on these guitars. Guitar Bluebook lists it as Solid spruce top, Solid Rosewood back and sides with NATO neck. This is probably mostly true. Not to sure about the solid back and sides though. The top is solid for sure. The sides seem to be solid. The neck is definitely NATO and not mahogany. But the grain from inside to outside of the back just really cannot be proven to match. It is a very highly figured beautiful Rosewood. It could be solid. It sounds like solid. But anyway does not really matter as it's sounds and plays beautifully. Anybody know anything about these. I'll try to post some pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/RkoR3G7ySYJEDWTMA

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

Last edited by johna2u; 05-21-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 PM

Lightbulb Samick 000s

Here are a couple:

https://www.guitar-list.com/samick/a...f-291-cheyenne

Snark Tuner
Old 05-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Found this info here. http://www.bluebookofguitarvalues.co...F_291_CHEYENNE

I'd like find original factory specs though if possible.
SF-291 (CHEYENNE)

- solid spruce top, solid rosewood back/sides, nato neck, rosewood veneer on peghead, gold plated die-cast tuners, available in Natural finish, disc.*

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, vintage