The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Default Jameson 6 string banjo guitar

anyone have one of these budget guitar banjos?

they got good overall reviews....

would appreciate comments overall on 6 string guitar banjos in general as well.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM

I looked at a picture of the bridge and it looks like it is compensated which is important for a 6 string banjo. But in my experience budget priced guitars are easier to make than budget priced banjos. So many moving parts to a banjo. You'll need to adjust everything over time. Head tension, neck angle, relief etc. I think if that stuff is cheap it could be tuff. I think closets are filled with budget banjos and people saying that the 6 string is no good.

I think you need to approach a 6 string like a different instrument. If you play it like a guitar you will be disappointed. Took me months to develop a style that worked. For me it was more finger picking than I typically use on a guitar.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-30-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
anyone have one of these budget guitar banjos?

they got good overall reviews....

would appreciate comments overall on 6 string guitar banjos in general as well.
I am a long time banjo picker. I don't play six string guitar banjos but what I am going to say is relevent. I looked up the Jamison and it is a generic low end banjo that is available under all sorts of brand names. It will likely not be a satisfactory instrument. You simply cannot buy a good cheap banjo. This is not snobery. I will elaborate.

So much of the banjo is a factor of setup. You will not be able.to properly tension this banjos head which is elemental. The hooks will bend. The tension band will stretch. The tailpiece will likely strip when you attempt to adjust it for proper break angle and tension. The neck will be attached by a crude and poorly threaded connector rod and only one, not two meaning you may never achieve a good connection between pot and neck. The whole adds up to a weak sounding instrument that may not even function.

I like inexpensive guitars. One can find a good inexpensive guitar. With banjos..not so much.

One that I have been impressed with is the Gretsch Dixie 6 which runs about $300. Nice instrument. A used one would be quite a bit less and a playable bargain.

One of the various Gold Tone brand models would also be a significant step up at a good price.

I am generally not a fan of aluminum pot banjos (so called bottle cap banjos because the shoes for the hooks are molded into the pot givi g a bottle cap appearance) but even these which are marketed by the like of Ibanez, Dean, and others are a little better than the Jamison although not by very much.

I offer this advice as one who loves the banjo in all of its forms and wants to see beginners and other explorers set off right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments