The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM

" this guitar was built before there was a difference between flamenco and classical guitar"

"Yeah alright, but the essence of my comment wasn't about his playing or the guitar but it was about how a flamenco trained guitarist cant play classical style"

I will assume that English is not your first language. That would be :

Yeah, all right, etc. There is a distinction and con usion with these "two" words... "already" and "all right"... the confusion is that one is one word ,the other is two.
Also to help you with your English studies... can't is a contraction of can and not and when combined the missing "n" and "o" are replaced with an apostrophe.

Additionally, an American- English linguistic usage of "yeah" in a response is considered disrespectful.

You made no comment where there was any "essence". Please expound.

If this was not about his playing; why did you call him "great" ?

"a flamenco trained guitarist cant play classical style"

Your empirical evidence is what ?

And.. fixed wing pilots may have difficulty flying helicopters.

As to flamenco and classical.. some choose to play classical, some choose to play flamenco or more likely are born into it; much as gypsy jazz players are born into their culture. A general observation is that non gypsies and non spanish (gypsies) have a more difficult, though not impossible, time entering the music because they are not born into the culture.

Learning classical appears to be more accessable to all, and does not depend on being born into a cultural base. Evidence of that would be the many non europeans that play with great skill.

Of course there are comparisions between flamenco and classical, and they are not silly or dismissive. Might I recommend watching the 3 hour video of Julian Bream " Guitarra! : A Musical Journey Through Spain."
While Bream made some attempts at flamenco, he found it difficult, and he was a great admirer of flamenco, unlike Segovia.

Yes, I agree flamenco guitar is by definition a folk genre, but of an exceedingly high level of skill, and Flamenco is a unique and complex art form of the highest caliber.

What you may be missing in flamenco guitar, is that though there are basic rules, specifically those of compas, it is improvisational.

Classical is learning to play as the composer wrote the piece and inprovisation is not expected, required or necessarily appreciated.
Learning classical is technique plus rote memory, and requires much skill.

BTW, my neighbor, and friend, is a long time Segovia student, concertising player, former head of a majoir university classical guitar department and a guitar maker. He greatly admires flamenco players and finds the techniques, "challenging".

Would you mind responding to my post rather than distract and avoid ?

Grisha is not "great". He is an excellent player... greatness comes with time.
( except in Macedonia )

To further your English linguistic studies, it is also considered rude to use lower case letters when responding.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
" this guitar was built before there was a difference between flamenco and classical guitar"

To further your English linguistic studies, it is also considered rude to use lower case letters when responding.

Dude , go away you are boring
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM

@ bohemian
seriously now dude
you replied to a comment of mine and i answered you twice and you didnt get it...what else can i do ?
english lessons? really?

i dont have any interest to reply on your comment because its way out of topic. ok?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical