The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Post Your Favorite Circa(s)

I have admired John's work for quite some time. I know there are a number of Circa owners here, but I don't think I've ever seen a consolidated thread about his guitars. If you own one (or have a lot of experience with one), please post your thoughts here. As always, photos are welcome and encouraged.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 AM

This Maple 000 came in and sold very quickly. Funnily enough I met its original owner over the weekend!

Lovely guitar...

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM

A fantastic guitar. Its now available at TAMCO.

And a mahogany OM (also available).

Last edited by Trevor M; 11-18-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM

After having experience with what many would consider some of the world's finest builders, John is one of the very elite builders, and in there with the top 5... where those 5 are none better than each other... just differences.
My dear and distinguished friend also has a Circa of stunning Brazilian/Adi.. I'll see if he would also post, as his guitar would highlight this thread nicely.
Here's my Double 00 Cut in very rare straight grained Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack Red Spruce...
(I'm not sure why the burst looks red in pictures, as it's not representative at all The burst in person is a very deep rich cremona burst... oh well)

Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
This Maple 000 came in and sold very quickly. Funnily enough I met its original owner over the weekend!

Lovely guitar...

Here's my custom Circa 00, Italian spruce over Macassar ebony with a maple neck. More pix and my review here. This instrument was, interestingly enough, the inspiration for another John made with the exact same wood combination, the only exception being the headplate, which was unadorned. Again, interestingly enough, my guitar features my own customized version of Martin's original 1902 flowerpot which John has duplicated on the maple guitar above.

And here's my magnificent OM, red spruce over Madagascar rosewood with a mahogany neck. More pix and my review here.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 11-19-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Oh man, so many awesome Circas. adlerburg, I LOVE the look of that 00. Absolutely gorgeous.

Trevor and Micheal, that is a stunning maple 000!

Jim, your Circas and reviews have always been an inspiration. I have always loved the look of your guitars. I especially love this one! Drooooool.

Jim, how do would you compare the 2008 aid/Braz OM with the Adi/Madagascar OM in the photos above?

And this one!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Oh man, so many awesome Circas. adlerburg, I LOVE the look of that 00. Absolutely gorgeous.

Trevor and Micheal, that is a stunning maple 000!

Jim, your Circas and reviews have always been an inspiration. I have always loved the look of your guitars. I especially love this one! Drooooool.

Jim, how do would you compare the 2008 aid/Braz OM with the Adi/Madagascar OM in the photos above?
Thanks for the kind words.

I have been fortunate to play perhaps a few dozen Circas, but most of them fairly briefly. The two I own, of course, I know well and have reviewed extensively at my website.

The Braz OM is owned by Ed Dodson. I remember when it was new thinking it had some of the richest, sweetest tone I'd ever heard. The sound didn't have quite the depth or volume of my OM (which already had a year's playing time on it), but it was still one of the most memorable guitars I've played.

I remember the Taz blackwood 000 as feather-light, with a beautifully balanced voice and dry-toned similar to mahogany or koa.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I have posted mine several times, but there's always another opportunity to share. The first time I met John at Swannanoa he handed me a Mahogany 00 to try. It was one of those special guitar moments when you hear a sound you have been looking for. I didn't have the money to buy that guitar but I soon placed my order.
I went with a Mahogany 00, because that was the sound I was after. John told me that the 00 body size it is very easy to get very consistent results.
I asked if the cutaway would change the sound. John said in his experience the cutaway had no effect. That was good enough for me
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I had John add a pick guard later. Of course since we are supposed to play guitars here's the Circa in action

The trio I play in recently recorded a cd. The 00 was used on a couple of songs, on one in particular I noticed that the treble strings sounded really nice. John told me that the hide glue that he uses makes those strings sound bright but not brittle. Who knows? Whatever he is doing he knows how to build a great guitar.

Last edited by Teleplucker; 11-18-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Circa Dread Adi/Braz

This Adi/ Braz Dread is from 2008. Per John, this is a lighter build than he is doing with Dreads these days.

The tone is glorious and you can't appreciate the true beauty of the Adirondack and Brazilian with out seeing the guitar in person.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Smile Circa

This one's my favorite so far. I just love this wood.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 11-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
This instrument was, interestingly enough, the inspiration for another John made with the exact same wood combination, the only exception being the headplate, which, again, interestingly enough, featured my own customized version of Martin's original 1902 flowerpot which John has duplicated on the maple guitar above.
The original Martin design is indeed a little more flowery, and also used snowflake fretboard inlays. IMO it does look better with the excess foliage removed.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Ed Dodson used to post on here from time to time, I think he owns three of John's guitars.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
This one's my favorite so far. I just love this wood.
The actual wood's a bit darker; I boosted the contrast and saturation a little in Photoshop to show the colors since it was devilishly hard to capture in the camera. This Brazilian was reclaimed from the roof beam of a house, which makes me think it must have been a pretty fabulous house...

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
The original Martin design is indeed a little more flowery, and also used snowflake fretboard inlays. IMO it does look better with the excess foliage removed.
Here's a side-by-side for comparison. I brought the original into Photoshop and went to work snipping, stretching and compressing to come up with my version, which also uses just simple slotted diamonds for position markers.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

This one! I've loved the way this looks since I first saw it shared on my own Baranik build thread.

I've not actually played it though. Of the four I've tried, I was taken with an Adi/mahogany OM.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Here's my custom Circa 00, Italian spruce over Macassar ebony with a maple neck. More pix and my review here. This instrument was, interestingly enough, the inspiration for another John made with the exact same wood combination, the only exception being the headplate, which, again, interestingly enough, featured my own customized version of Martin's original 1902 flowerpot which John has duplicated on the maple guitar above.

And here's my magnificent OM, red spruce over Madagascar rosewood with a mahogany neck. More pix and my review here.

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop