The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default 2015 Doerr Trinity (OO / 12-fret) Western Red Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood

***(UPDATE 11/15/14--GO TO PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED PICTURES!)***

***(UPDATE 12/11/14--Some specs have changed--originally, Lutz spruce was to be used for the top)

As promised, here is the beginning of my thread for this upcoming build by Tom Doerr. Tom expects to begin the build in early February, and finish in April 2015.

It will be his 12 fret, OO model called the Trinity, with his "Signature" level details. It will also feature a lot of abalone purfling, but no inlays.

I'm not aware of any previous threads on a Doerr Trinity build, so I hope this will be interesting for all of you current and aspiring Doerr guitar owners!

Here are some basic specifications, subject to minor revision, of course! A customer's prerogative is to change their mind...(updated 12/11/14)

Top: Master Grade Western Red Cedar

Back/Sides: Master-grade, old-growth Brazilian Rosewood, perfectly quarter-sawn, book-matched, and flitch-matched set (CITES-certified/documented)

Neck: East Indian Rosewood

Fretboard: Arizona Desert Ironwood

Bridge: Arizona Desert Ironwood

ALL body/bridge/fretboard/headstock binding: African Blackwood with Blue Paua Abalone purfling

Headstock: Doerr peghead style

Headplate: Arizona Desert Ironwood

Dual soundports

Tuners: Alessi custom tuning machines: Sterling silver hardware and black Mother of Pearl tuning buttons

Scale Length: 25"
Nut width: 1 7/8"
Saddle spacing: 2 3/8"

------

I visited Tom at his shop recently to look at the woods and work out (most of) the details for the build.
This was my second visit to his shop, actually. I went there in January of this year with the expectation of starting a build much sooner,
but I ended up getting engaged and married this summer, so I put it off until now. I have my priorities...

Anyways, this is my first custom build and I'm very excited, as I'm sure many of you can understand from personal experience.
Tom has been a pleasure to work with and I am very confident in his skills and understanding of what I'm trying to create in this instrument.
Here are a few pictures of the woods to be used. They were taken in his shop during my visit on October 7th.

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 02-26-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: change of specifications
Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 12-14-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: picture fail :-(
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Musical minimalist

oops - tried to post your pic for you but it didn't work.....

Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

So here are a few pictures--I didn't intend them to be so huge, but apparently I don't understand how to properly upload from photobucket...
Sorry. If I can figure it out, I'll downsize them later.

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 10-24-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: resolved problem with posting pictures
Old 10-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaultierRedon14 View Post
So here are a few pictures--I didn't intend them to be so huge, but apparently I don't understand how to properly upload from photobucket...
Sorry. If I can figure it out, I'll downsize them later.
And mine always end up smaller than I want.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Wow, beautiful Brazilian! Amazing.........
I just emailed with Tom and his house renovations are now complete and he's moved in. Very happy for he and his family! He's starting back up with building on Monday. I look forward to following this build...it should be fantastic.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I've seen a 12-fret 000 by Tom; should be really nice.

I'm a big fan of that body size, and of Lutz. "Curly Bear" gives an indication of who Tom got the Lutz from; I believe mine is "Wonder Wood".

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-24-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Being able to actually go to Tom's shop, spend time marking the woods with the molds and getting to personally mark each piece exactly where I wanted it to be cut, and see, touch, tap, and smell the woods that are going to be melded into this instrument was a great experience. It adds a whole new level of personal involvement in building a "dream" guitar.

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 12-12-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: change of specifications
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Yes, Tom has moved into his newly (personally) renovated home. He told me he is really excited about it, and it's closer to his shop, so it will make his life a lot easier.
Regarding the Brazilian, yes it is really lovely. The figuring just seems tailor-made for the Trinity body shape. It also has a variety of colors-browns, greens, golds, light purples. I'm not sure if all of these colors will show up under finish, but it's definitely not a plain set of wood.
Perhaps the best part is that this set is perfectly quarter-sawn, 90 degrees.

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 10-24-2014 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

This will certainly be a great guitar.

I have a Brazilian Trinity made by Tom and it is awesome. If you enjoy yours half as much as I enjoy mine you will be thrilled.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

That's great to hear. Would you mind sharing a few more details about your Trinity? Does it have a Swiss Spruce top? How would you describe it's tonal characteristics? I would love to hear your thoughts. You're welcome to post a few pictures if you'd like.
I hope you enjoy watching the build!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Tom just sent me more pictures of the back and sides

***(UPDATE: GO TO PAGE TWO OF THIS THREAD FOR LARGER PICTURES!)***

I received a few more pictures of the Brazilian back and sides. These are better pictures than the others, so I thought I'd put these up. The build should commence in a few weeks. We're still working out a few details, like I might use some different tuners that will give the guitar a more vintage/elegant vibe.
We're trying to decide which way to position the sides. When you have such highly figured wood, it really makes a difference in how you place them, in order to best accentuate their grain pattern relative to the shape and curves of the guitar. I'm trying to get the most graceful and harmonious matching of the grain pattern of the wood with both the shape of the body and the grain pattern on the back, along with what the grain pattern will be at the neck joint and the end graft.
This is not easy to do in your head! In the end, I am sure that Tom will figure out the best way to do it. He's used a lot of figured Brazilian in the past, so it won't be anything new for him.
Suggestions, anyone

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 11-14-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: picture fail
Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I tried repeatedly to post the above pictures in a larger size, but I obviously failed, at least for now. I'll try to figure it out before the build starts in a few weeks.

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 11-14-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: picture fail
Old 11-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Congrats! I love Tom's guitars and think they are the awesome in every way...right up there with Traugott, Somogyi, Olson, Ryan, etc..

I have a Brazilian/Italian Spruce Solace Select with Body Wedge, continuous bevel which is amazing sounding (pix are in AGF Classifieds...originally put it up a while ago and then stopped marketing it since it sounded and played so great).

His prices are risen significantly and are well deserved IMO.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Wonderful!
I emailed with Tom this week and he's excited about working with such beautiful wood. I'm really going to enjoy following this one!
Re pics.....if you use Photobucket, click on the single pic in that file which want and it will then enlarge that photo. That's the time when I copy it and then it shows up on AGF as a larger pic. Don't know if that helps.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop