The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
Actually, I am enjoying the work today. Don't ask me how I found the "switch", but I am in a hopeful state of mind and my hands seem to be doing what I want them to.
You see, Elizabeth, just another AGF therapy session and you feel better already. By talking about your negativity, you got it out off your system. Now, go on and play.

Last edited by Bern; 06-09-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 PM

Maybe you're thinking the Peter principle is kicking in and what you're attempting is beyond your level of competence and that no amount of practice will allow you to do the piece. Most likely that's not the case; it's just difficult and different. Music is just math and mechanics with some personality thrown in. Heck, some people play it to relax.

Personally, I hate to rehearse; it's never the same as the dynamic of playing live or recording, yet it's as much a necessity as long hours on the driving range to a pro golfer.

I'd go at it from a couple of angles; first, I'd play the whole thing periodically with no stopping no matter how mucked up it gets. Then, I'd break it down in sections and work on them separately, then reassemble them. I'd also try and take a grander view of things and look at it as part of a much larger musical journey.

To use a skiing metaphor, think of your musical career as a very long slope and that you've arrived at some bumps. If you panic and look at the bump below you you'll fall for sure, but keep your alignment and look down the road, then your experience will see you through.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
To use a skiing metaphor, think of your musical career as a very long slope and that you've arrived at some bumps. If you panic and look at the bump below you you'll fall for sure, but keep your alignment and look down the road, then your experience will see you through.
Whatever you do, don't wear gloves while going down the slope, John !
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
Thanks, but I am pretty sure I'd have the same problem if I went somewhere else. I like this instructor. What he tells me to do makes sense to me. I just have a very hard time doing it that's all. Besides, I have one credit left at this school. It would be a bit ridulous to go somewhere else and be put back two years or so just to switch profs for a one credit course, wouldn't it?
Yes, that would be silly. It's tough though, meeting the requirements of school, work and raising a family. Keep working at it, it'll come to you.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Elizabeth,
My 2.5 cents; My negative practice can hinder my attitude but very seldom the other way around. I feel blessed to have so many nice instruments, I just wish I had half the talent to justify them. That said nothing better than the feeling of hitting that perfect chord, riff, or vocal, no matter what your talent level.

I have listened to your music and no matter what your attitude at any given time you must realize that you are truly gifted.

Life is good ain't it?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Negative attitude hindering practice.

Negative attitude and hindering practice is not good always. Negative attitude towards life and brings apathetic resignation towards their monotonous lifestyle. Normally people facing such adversities tend to blame others or even to their own fate for their failures. Obviously they could not tolerate the grace, success or progress of others. They get resentful and bitter when find that others are happy.
---------------------------------
Linc

South Dakota Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 AM

Sometimes things in life get overwelming and it makes you think... how could it be pssible to do this... or... I'm never gonna be able to do this.

You could easily get the attitude that... I'm never gonna be able to do this no matter how hard I try.

Or...

You could take a look around and say to yourself... Other people have done this... SO CAN I!!!

And not only that I can do it... I'M GONNA DO IT!!!

Also... Have you gone to your teacher (or other students) and asked for help on certain things?

Elizabeth, I have been to your site and I feel you are a great talent. Don't let anything get in your way.

Now get your butt in gear girl and keep practicing til ya get it down...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Um, she probably already got her degree/diploma and has produced three albums by now...
this thread was started two years ago

Oh, and welcome to the forum lincrasto.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM

How did this thread get pulled up? WHY did this thread get pulled out of the archives?

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell