The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Default Disappointing NUD

I ordered a Córdoba ukelele from Sweetwater last week and it was delivered today. I had also ordered a gig bag and a couple of smal items, so the boxed uke was enclosed in a larger box. When I opened the box the headstock was completely snapped off the neck. There was absolute no padding at all around the uke. No external damage to either the internal or external box, sonI figure the box must have been dropped from a distance or really slammed hard against something. Immediately called Sweetwater and the tech promised to overnight a new one. When I mentioned the lack of packaging, he said that they ship the ukes exactly as they're received from the manufacturer. Surprised that 1) Córdoba would ship them like this and )2 that Sweetwater would not check for damage and package them appropriately. I guess their 55 point quality check does not apply to ukeleles? And the lack of packing around the instrument goes against everything I've read anywhere about how stringed instruments should be shipped. No complaints about how they're responding to the situation, but just very surprised at the lack of care taken to begin with. Anyone else had an experience like this?

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 06-22-2016, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
...And the lack of packing around the instrument goes against everything I've read anywhere about how stringed instruments should be shipped. No complaints about how they're responding to the situation, but just very surprised at the lack of care taken to begin with. Anyone else had an experience like this?
I buy, refurbish and sell guitars as a hobby so I am very packing-aware.

I just bought a Taylor solidbody electric, used. I got it in a small box and found the guitar, in a case slid inside a carboard box. Not one drop of packing material anywhere, and a smashed (and no longer available) selector switch.

I was stunned someone would send a guitar with no packing. I sent it back and got my refund yesterday. The seller was wonderfully nice and apologetic, but it just stunned me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 PM

I certainly don't have your experience, but I have shipped a couple of guitars and had enough sense to know there was more to it than just throwing it in a box. I researched it to death and made sure I erred on the side of more than necessary precautions. That said, an individual, one would think, would be more likely to take no special pains than a company that makes stringed instruments. I was just amazed that Córdoba would actually ship an instrument in this manner. I received the replacement today, and it was obvious that the Sweetwater folks had opened and repackaged it very well. However, the pickup doesn't work. I increased the gain, volume, changed the battery prior to calling Sweetwater. The tech I spoke with agreed that I'd done everything there was to be done and agreed the pickup must be faulty. He personally checked the replacement and is overnighting it. I know I didn't buy a high end instrument, but I did expect better attention to basic packing and quality control on the part of Córdoba than this. My experience with Sweetwater has always been good and they have done everything to rectify this week's problems as quickly as possible. I wil continue to do business with them, but I'm done with Córdoba.

2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2018 Loar LH 301t
Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 PM

Glad to hear that Sweetwater is taking care of you, but it sure has been a hassle. Given that you live in PRC (the People's Republic of California) perhaps this should be an in-store purchase rather than mail-order. I know - woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I recommend Kala, particularly the Thinline travel ukes. They sound way better than that thin body should, and every one I've played have been well set up with good intonation. They are not too expensive if you don't need cutaways and electronics.
www.kalabrand.com/ukulele/thinline-travel
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 PM

I received Uke #3 this morning and it was in one piece and everything worked. Even in CA, there are places (I live in one)where we don't have a lot of choices without driving a couple of hours, which isn't always convenient or possible. I do like to support local and/or privately owned stores, but it doesn't always work out. And, I did really need one with a pickup. I probably will look at Kalas or Ponos at some point in the future and install a pickup if necessary. I don't have any complaints about how Sweetwater handled this, but I was pretty disappointed in Córdoba. But now that I have a working instrument, I'm happy enough with it for now.

2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2018 Loar LH 301t
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 AM

Understood. I wasn't picking on you. I used to live in Petaluma about 20 years ago. Trips to Gryphon or Schoenberg were occasional treats, but it ain't easy getting around the bay area. And I'm sure it is worse now.

I rarely visit, and the last time I flew my airplane into Napa, Concord and Livermore. Despite the complex airspace, it was easier to get around by air than on the roads.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 AM

Didn't feel like you were, Earl. I love Petaluma, by the way. Charming little town. I'm in the Central Valley, near Fresno, so not really any large music stores nearby. Some very nice ones indeed in the Bay Area, central coast, and So Cal. A real treat to visit them when I have the opportunity.

Thanks for the support and laughs, everyone. My gig was last night and it went well. No talk radio from the amp.

2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2018 Loar LH 301t
Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 AM

Sadly, it is not uncommon at all for manufactured ukes to be shipped in small cardboard boxes with very little padding. I guess the thought (mistaken) is that they are so lightweight that not much damage can occur.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've had really great experiences ordering from Hawaiian Music Supply. They've packaged everything really well (I've ordered hard cases along with each ukulele I've bought, which helps protect in shipping). They also do a great setup. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
I guess their 55 point quality check does not apply to ukeleles?
Based on my two purchases from them, I think the 55 point quality check is a hoax.

After two totally unacceptable guitars from them, one a poorly done repack and both were far worse than anything I'd see on a hook at GCC or SA or even MGR. NO WAY anyone ever took a peek at these, let alone check anything.

I will never do business with them again.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

If you buy from Pono, you won't get anything but a superb setup, 2 day shipping, a great instrument and pro packing.

They will put a pickup in for very reasonable price.

My MT is so much better than I expected. Sounds as good or better than some Koa ukes I tried that were $1200. I think my MT was less than $500 with K&K pickups.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments