The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 AM

Default new user, new guitar

hello the group,
I'm really new to owning a guitar about a week now lol. been inspired by some music from martin harley and another fellow i found on the internet ed ricco. at the moment i am enjoying listening to the lap style of playing and i would like to learn how to play like that. so my first question is should i have lessons to learn how to play a guitar conventionally or jump in at the deep end so to speak ?
i bought an ibanez acoustic not quite sure of the model number but it has seven strings and an inbuilt pickup . not sure why i bought a seven string beastie to be honest but i figured it was a bonus to have an extra string at the time. well thanks in advance for any input you can contribute not doubt i'll have others questions in time
Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Welcome chardie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardie View Post
at the moment i am enjoying listening to the lap style of playing and i would like to learn how to play like that. so my first question is should i have lessons to learn how to play a guitar conventionally or jump in at the deep end so to speak ?
It is not required to learn how to play conventional guitar to play lap guitar. Lap style is an entirely different style of guitar. For lap style, the guitar is on the lap with the strings facing up, you play with a bar, and the guitar tuned to specific chords. Thing that may transfer over from regular guitar generally have to be relearned or adapted. You should not be at any disadvantage not having learned regular guitar first.

Quote:
i bought an ibanez acoustic not quite sure of the model number but it has seven strings and an inbuilt pickup . not sure why i bought a seven string beastie to be honest but i figured it was a bonus to have an extra string at the time. well thanks in advance for any input you can contribute not doubt i'll have others questions in time
Are you playing on using this as a lap guitar? If you want to play lap style you would be better off with a weissenborn style guitar, a square neck resonator, electric lap slide, or a steel guitar. You can use a traditional acoustic as a lap guitar, but it will require a new nut or an extension nut.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:00 AM

Are you playing on using this as a lap guitar? If you want to play lap style you would be better off with a weissenborn style guitar, a square neck resonator, electric lap slide, or a steel guitar. You can use a traditional acoustic as a lap guitar, but it will require a new nut or an extension nut

thanks for the reply.

i plan on getting an extension nut i guess thats what they call it when it sits on top of the old one . i work long hours away from home at the moment needed something to do hence the guitar most shops are closed when i finish or don't have them in stock when i have asked. i'll look online then i should be able to get it in a week or two.please forgive my ignorance. i chose an acoustic as i couldn't be bothered with leads and amps while im working away from home. i'm guessing a wissenborn wouldn't need an amp not sure if a resonator or a steel guitar needs an amp either but an electric slide would, but an acoustic doesn't although i do have a jack on the guitar if i do want to plug it in some time. you would be correct in assuming i didn't do alot of research lol
i haven't seen much in the way of finger picking instructional books in the stores i have visited i presume they are around maybe not so popular in my neck of the woods perhaps. another thing to search online for i guess. been watching a bunch of youtube vids on lap style instead. one other question i have is am i likely to pick up any bad habbits learning from you tube ?

Last edited by chardie; 06-26-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM

I'm sorry I don't know much about lap steel guitars, Chardie, but I can tell you with some degree of confidence that you will perhaps pick up some bad habits from learning only from Youtube videos. The reason is that there is no feedback - no one there to remind you to do this or that, no one to correct the way you're doing the other. That said, however, almost all of the bad habits you might pick up are later correctable. Learning today via Youtube is better than putting it off till next year out of fear you might learn something good in a slightly wrong way. Also, Google "learning to play lap steel guitar." I bet you'll come up with some good resources that are not on Youtube.

Good to have you among us! Keep us posted on your progress, will you?

cotten
Old 06-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Chardie, to answer your previous question- you will not need an amplifier for a weissenborn style guitar or a square neck resonator. Both are acoustic guitars purpose built for playing lap style. Steel guitars and lap slide guitars both require the use of amplifiers.

Like cotten said, youtube is a good tool and you should supplement it with other sources.

Last edited by ericmeyer4; 07-01-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 AM

thanks for the answers to my questions no more at the moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments