The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Default Any Ubass users?

Hey guys

I have a hankering for a Kala fretless Ubass to play in acoustic duos and trios. The local store has one and I like it but wanted to get some opinions from people that actually use it. I realize this is not a high end instrument but I don't want to buy it to figure out later it's cool but novel, my plan is to plug it straight in the PA. The store also has a slightly bigger Gold Tone bass in the same price range that I may consider as well

I play more guitar than bass so I'm thinking of using it for a few songs a set

Opinions

Thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM

I owned one for a couple of years. It sounds remarkably good for what it is, but for me personally the novelty wore off after awhile. As you would imagine, it's really small and the fretboard is rather cramped for someone with large hands. I carried it to some gigs but found it too radical of a change switching between it and stand-up bass (plus the other band member much preferred the stand-up). I don't believe it would serve as durable, dependable, consistent work horse bass to play 4-5 sets with but for the price, if you're just playing a few songs a night it may work for you. It's a cool little instrument and a conversation starter for sure. The tone is right smack dab in the middle between a stand-up bass and a Fender Precision bass from the late '60's/early '70's (James Jamerson playing Motown or Duck Dunn from Booker T & the MG's).
Old 06-14-2016, 09:26 AM

I have one and use it occasionally. I am not a real serious bass player, just an occasional dabbler. I have a friend who is a good bass player, and he got the larger Gold Tone version right after playing mine at a festival. Everything that bassfiddler said above was right on too. It would be a challenge to bounce back and forth between them, but I don't have an upright bass. Only electric basses and my U-bass.

FWIW, this is what I posted recently in the "acoustic bass guitar" thread, which appears a bit further down the Other Instruments page:

I actually prefer my Kala U-bass over all of the things I've played. With those big urethane strings, it sounds very much like an upright bass when plugged in and is very easy on the fingers. Plus it is highly portable, unlike a double bass. A U-bass even with a battery powered amp is much more portable than a doghouse bass. It is also tuned EADG like electric bass. Since I got the U-bass a couple of years ago, the only time I play anything else is if that is what happens to be available at a jam. You can buy a U-bass and a good amp for far less than $$$ than a cheapo imported plywood upright.

It was particularly satisfying to have someone come up to me after walking off stage at a bluegrass festival asking where the bass was - he heard it but could not see it on stage. I simply held out my little U-bass and watched his jaw drop.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM

I don't play one, but I am a bluegrass mandolin player. We share a sort of synergistic, symbiotic relationship with bass players. I have played many sets with bass players playing Ubass, and I think they are great.

My preference will always be an uprigtht. Nothing has the presence of a proper upright, but a Ubass is my second choice. I think it sounds and feels closer to an upright than either an ABG or an EBG.

It is also more portable. Bass players always face the following conundrum, "Do I carry one enormous piece of gear, or two large pieces of gear." With a Ubass, you carry one large piece of kit (amp) and a small piece of kit.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM

I had one for awhile hoping get my daughter interested in playing, which she wasn't. I've since sold it, but I thought is was a great instrument. It sounded remarkably good for its size. The tuner crapped out after awhile, but a clip on tuner worked better anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments