The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Default Pre war Stradolin mando

Hey all, I have been over in the guitars showing off my new toy and though I would pop in and see if anyone had any more insight to the mysterious Strad-Files.

I have my Grams Mando, pre war (No Ser# internally stamped)
in it's original Faux tiger finish with the original case.

NO neck pull, NO top collapse, all the Bakelite intact NO cracking, AND the original tailpiece cover.
it was cased and unplayed after Gram passed in '78
I was able to convince my pops to let me finally take it home and get it rehydrated a couple years ago
(his house is the family house=OLD and DRY)

SO here are some craptastic phone pics!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM

David Grisman said this about that:

"Stradolin - Actually, my favorite "vintage bargain" mandolin is the Stradolin (particularly their high end models.) I actually used to play one at gigs (like when I sat in with Red Smiley at the 2nd Fincastle Bluegrass Festival in 1966.) I bought it for $50 from Richard Greene. They are loud and punchy, mostly carved-top f-hole instruments with elevated fingerboards. To me they are as good or better than many (certainly not all) Gibson f-hole A models AND they usually are below $500.

Today I found:
1940s "Master" model with f-holes and ssc - $299 ($350 Buy it Now)
1940s Jr. model with f-holes and ssc - $225 ($249 Buy it Now)
1940s - 1950s A model with f-holes and ssc - $199 (Buy it Now)"

cut and paste from MandolinCafe.com If you ask there on the forum, you will get lots of answers. Probably made in New York City, east coast for sure.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Trolled those waters, just reaching out in a new venue...
Never know what you'll find or where you'll find it.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:26 AM

Sinner, I've never owned one but have played a few old Strad-O-Lin mandolins over the years. I agree with Grisman's assessment: they can sound surprisingly good, though the playability on them can really be all over the map. The best way to describe them might be that, when they were in production, they were inexpensive instruments that were better quality than they probably needed to be.

Anyway, I've liked most of the Strad-O-Lins that I've had a chance to play. The fact that this is a family heirloom AND it's fully playable makes it especially cool.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments