The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Martin 7 28

Was hoping someone may be able to discuss a Martin "7 28". All I have been able to glean is that 200 +/- were made. They are basically a 7/8 size Indian D-28. Would be very interested to lean more. Thanks.

Collings CW Indian A
Collings D1Herringbone A
Martin HD-28
Gipson J-50
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Sam,
After much research, I think I now know everything there is to know about the 7-28. The most important thing I found was that because they did not have an adjustable truss rod, they tended to have neck problems which could not cheaply be repaired. I found several used ones but both had bad necks. So, after all the searching, I contacted the Martin Custom Shop and they have agreed to make me a brand new one, with an adjustable truss rod. I also made several other changes but it's basically the same guitar that was made in 1980. They won't finish mine until May or June and I can't wait to play it (I have some issues with my hands and needed the shorter scale but wanted a quality instrument.)
Martin also made a 7-37 which is Koa. From what I've been able to find out, both from research and from an actual owner, they are excellent guitars with surprising volume for their size. If there is anything specific you need to know, PM me.

Willie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion